Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom New Maps 17 April 2007
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom New Maps 17 April 2007
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Tom Tom New Maps 17 April 2007 Reply with quote

Well, I've been at the download for 30 minutes already (at "up to 8Mb Broadband") and seem to have got as far as one map so far - I have bought downloads of GO700 and GO710 new maps, both supposedly Ver 6.75. Interestingly (worryingly!!) it seems to be downloading one entitled "Western_Central Europe" for the GO700 and three entitled "Western Europe" for the 710.

So I thought I'd sit and worry whether they have the new London Congestion Zone on, or whether I've shelled out £121.75 just for some more new roundabouts!

Just as interestingly, I picked up on new maps from a post in another thread, not (no change here!!) from a TT Newsletter - don't know why I bother being signed up for that, the few I've received have been of no interest or value.

And before anybody comments, I've copied off all my existing map folders - probably I'll have to delete the old ones to make space (that's assuming TT Home doesn't do it for me without asking).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom New Maps 17 April 2007 Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
And before anybody comments, I've copied off all my existing map folders - probably I'll have to delete the old ones to make space (that's assuming TT Home doesn't do it for me without asking).

TTHome will just try to add the new map folder (assuming there's room)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It said (for both devices) not enough room.
On the 700 I had old and new maps and had to delete both.
On the 710 I had the existing map and had to delete that (despite having a 2GB SD card).
Two hours now and getting fairly close to ending the install on both machines. It would have taken less time if the download hadn't downloaded three maps for the 710 (I presume - it said so, but didn't question overwriting or anything). But having deleted the previous map folders I'll have to copy my settings and POIs (including cameras) and re-enable and warn and get a headache.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they do include the new London CC Zone. See my front page news item.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Dennis.

The write up does say that the new congestion zone is included, which really p*****s me off as I updated my map in December and expected it to be in there.

Ah well whats £40! We can all afford that every few months can't we. The problem is we don't really know what we're getting until we've got it, do we.

I'd be interested to see what improvements have been made, I assume you'll only find that out if there are errors on your journeys at present. I think I'll probably stick with the extended zone POI for now.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
And they do include the new London CC Zone. See my front page news item.
Sorry, Darren. Apart from the fact that my Bookmark bypasses your frontpage so I never see it, I picked up the reference to new maps coming out today before you even posted your announcement and rushed in like a fool doing "unangelic"!

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
I'd be interested to see what improvements have been made, I assume you'll only find that out if there are errors on your journeys at present. I think I'll probably stick with the extended zone POI for now.

I never did fancy the CC Zone POIs - couldn't for the life of me think how to make use of them, so I'm glad it's on the new maps.

As for improvements, time will tell. My favourite grump was M5 southbound J22 to J30 running as 60mph (false reporting that at 67mph I was exceeding the speed limit), so I've just done a quick test and find that doesn't seem to have changed (although I stopped the Demo as soon as I saw no change and didn't go all the way down). This is pretty GRRR - I can understand lengthy delays in updating obscure out of the way places (like London and the South East!), but Motorways? At least if they ever get round to mapping the Channel Islands I shall derive comfort from knowing that PGPSW already have some speed cameras there - you can see them on the blank green blob.

MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too bought the new maps back in December for my TT700, the area in Spain (Costa Del Sol) had a few new road included but more worryingly there were roads missing off the new maps that were on the old maps and the roads have nothing wrong with them, there was a (around a mile or so long) section between the sea and dual carriageway that was totally missing. I just hope the new maps contain these roads and also contain lakes, canals etc that were also omitted.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be a little more specific in term of the exact area you are interested in lat/ long etc then someone with the new map can take a look and advise, or post a screen capture to prove the area before purchase (FY4 area is my location if you want to see first hand) - Mike
Pritch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2GB card in my 710 which I bought in preparation for needing the Central European Maps. I wanted to wait for the new maps to come out before buying, rather than paying twice, so here goes...!!

Now the question: If I bought the Maps of Western and Central Europe, which is normally for the 910, is there a reason why it wouldn't work on my 710?

Also, would I need to reinput all my favourites, or could I transfer them across by renaming the file?
satsam
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: new maps Reply with quote

is the new section of the A1 near Fairburn on the new maps.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[IMG]http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i487200_dump176199195.bmp[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i487202_dump176199202.bmp[/IMG]

Of the above two photos, the top one is map v568.0 and the bottom one is v660.1219.

[IMG]http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i487201_dump176199201.bmp[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i487203_dump176199203.bmp[/IMG]

Again the old map is at the top and the newer map is at the bottom with the missing streets.

Sorry if the maps aren't viewable.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: new maps Reply with quote

satsam wrote:
is the new section of the A1 near Fairburn on the new maps.
Wow! When I looked at my MS Autoroute Express 2006 there is nothing there. But when I looked at MSN Local Live I saw to my surprise an overlay of a new section of A1 from Darrington to Micklefield. Yes, that IS on the new map v675.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just found a really new bit. The A419/A420 junction at Swindon has been rebuilt recently, indeed they hadn't completely lifted the cones and temporary speed limits last time I drove it a couple of weeks ago, but that new flyover is on the new map.

Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrRubberGloves wrote:
Sorry if the maps aren't viewable.

This site doesn't support the .bmp file format. Any chance you could convert them to .jpg?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: