Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 6 is terrible
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 6 is terrible
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clavain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: TomTom 6 is terrible Reply with quote

Hi
I have upgraded my old version of TomTom (4 think) to TomTom 6 because I am off to the states and wanted to navigate.

It has been a terrible experience.

I paid about 100Euro for TT6 and about 100Euro for the new USA maps as download, but I can't get it to work.
I took me 3 days and about 6 hours to down the less than 1GB of map material from TT's server. Just terrible. The server at TT's end is so slow it is unbelievable. I live in Germany and have a good 2MBit broadband connection which is stable and doesn't give me any grief. That was untill I started to load down TT.
Never mine, I got it downloaded eventually and after another day of grief and calls to support, managed to get the maps installed on to a new 1 GB SD card. But it still will not run!

TomTom Home, the client program on your computer is truely, truely terrible. Crashing, burning, not starting, hanging, it is just awful, a banged together piece of crockware. Now it won't recognise my device and tells me I have an unauthorised iPAQ, althought I bougth the SD version of TT (program and europe maps on card).

This is just dreadful. I have spent at least 18 hours trying to get this thing to run, and I have been working in the Computer industry since 1988.

Give this one a miss.
Clavain Sad
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 6 is terrible Reply with quote

Clavain wrote:
Hi
Now it won't recognise my device and tells me I have an unauthorised iPAQ, althought I bougth the SD version of TT (program and europe maps on card).

This means that your IPAQ isn't on the list of recommended hardware that was tested by Tomtom and which is guaranteed to work correctly with Tomtom Navigator 6. Unfortunately you should have checked to see if your device was on the supported list before purchasing.
Clavain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Andydigital44,
Thank for the reply.

Do you know the expression "Load brain before shooting off mouth"?.
It applies in this case very well to you although you haven't actually said anything, rather just typed it.

Quote:
This means that your IPAQ isn't on the list of recommended hardware that was tested by Tomtom and which is guaranteed to work correctly with Tomtom Navigator 6

Really, your penetrating intellect is breath taking. You figured all that out without asking any questions whatsoever, with just the information in my post, Wow.

Quote:
Unfortunately you should have checked to see if your device was on the supported list before purchasing.

You don't know if I checked or otherwise, since you didn't ask. But hey why would that stop you?
Nor do you know which iPAQ I am using for the same reasons.
You just opened your mouth and mouthed off.

So some facts, just for you:
I did check to see if my iPAQ is compatible.
And Yes my checking confirmed that my iPAQ is indeed compatible as stated on the web site and on the side of the software box.
And yes I do have enough free memory.
And yes with only minor problems (TomTom home hanging, crashing etc ) I got my TomTom up and running and logged in, and authorised and everything just dandy.
And yes my Tomtom works with the European maps.

Are you getting swamped with all this information?

But the download is terribly slow and unstable, stopping repeatetly at 99% after an hour with just 40 seconds to go. Very enjoyable user experience that.
Tomtom home is terrible, crashing, hanging etc. In my opinion crockware.

And no it didn't install the downloaded maps to the SD card successfully.
And now it doesn't recognise my already approved, authorised, and pay-for TomTom 6.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

C.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice chap i bet you have lots of friends. I was only trying to help and i told you what i thought the message you received meant. This is a public forum not TOMTOM customer support, go get you knickers in a twist with them you arrogant.....
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, can we knock off the insults, please, and get back to the important stuff, which is establishing why Clavain can't get TTN6 working on his device?

Clavain,

What device do you have, please, and what OS is it running?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit Andy, I thought you answered the reply quite correctly and factually.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a reply like that Clavain, I'd be surprised if anyone dares to try helping further (although Tim B is looking brave...).
Clavain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.
I apologise. Totally out of order, sorry I lost it. I apologise to the forum in general and to andydigital44 in particular. The only person who mouthed off was myself.

Tim B.
Thanks for the support.

I am using a HP iPAQ 4150 which is on the approved list of devices.
Tomtom Home is version 1.5 build 032.
Tomtom version is 6.010
Laptop is Dell D600 XPPro 1.25 Gigs of memory with all the latest MS patches.
Active Sync version 3.8.0 (build 5004) (don't need to upgrade AS since it works fine)

I bought Tomtom 6 on a SD card which automatically upgraded the old version of TT on my device. It works fine. No problems. I was able to authorise and activate the program with only minor problems.

The problems started with buying the USA and Canada maps. I had big problems loading them down. However that is history at this point.
I have loaded down the map successfully and after a mail to support eventually got the maps copied manually on to a 1GB SD card which I had lying around.

The 4150 has only one slot, so if I remove the Tomtom card and replace it with my USA maps and start TT it tells me that it can't find any maps and shuts down.

I found a reference on the TT support site that says if you are using a new card, it is necessary to install the TT application on the SD card. But how do you do this? Tomtom home doesn't give me any option of loading any thing apart from the maps on to the card. So I am stumped.

Further if I remove the TT card and put my device into the cradle, Tomtom Home tell me it "This device is not associated with your TT account". But it is. The TT program is loaded on the device and is authorised. On top of all this TTHome hangs regularly, but I could live with that.

All very frustrating.

Clavain.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly sounds like a headache! So, you need to install TTN6 onto a second SD card but HOME won't let you, is that it?

Can you make a full copy of the TTN6 SD card (including hidden files) to your hard disk and then copy them onto the new card? Having done that, put the card into a card reader and delete the map directory. Then manually copy the new map as you did before.

I'd format the 1Gb SD card you copied the maps onto before giving this a go, just to make sure it's a 'clean' install.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apology accepted and reciprocated, i also retract my arrogant comment and friends jibe, although you have now made alot more friends Smile
Clavain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
Thanks again for the support.

Well I have been trying a version of that copying system files to the card in the hope it will start, without success.

Going to give up for today, and go to bed. I have updated the mail to TT and see what they come up with.

Will keep the forum updated.

Cheers,
Clavain
Clavain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Just seen your post as I was about to shut down. Sorry mate for being over the top.

Got to go, we are an hour ahead here and need to hit the sack.

Clavain.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andydigital44 wrote:
...although you have now made alot more friends Smile

Indeed.

All credit to both of you for your respective comments. Good to see folk being constructive amidst the pain and frustration of Tomtom setup! Wink

I only wish I had something to offer to the discussion, but this is an area on which I have no knowledge at all...
Clavain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

News flash, got it sorted will send report later when @ home and more time.

C.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news glad to here its all sorted now. I've also had some good news today about my tomtom 910, i've finally managed to get tomtom to upgrade my nearly 3 week old 910 to the latest 6.75 Western and Central Europe maps for free.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: