Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT one and new maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT one and new maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenstilo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased TomTom Go(Uk & I map V6.60) from third party ( ordered 13/4/2007)
I received it 18/4/2007 and hence having realised the maps are out of date I emailed TomTom customer support requesting a free update.
TomTom customer support replied with a snail mail address to write to I have done so informing them that I believe that item I received is not of Merchantable quality and if they are not perpared to update Map F.O.C I will be referring the matter to my local Trading standards.

I will post a message when i receive a reply from TomTom
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"not of merchantable quality" has nowt to do with map versions.

The v675 maps are not available on an SD or DVD, ONLY as a download and only since last week.

To be fair to TT (just this once) how the hell can they supply units to shops with newer maps than were available at time of original despatch?
camel_face69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenstilo, keep up the pressure on TomTom CS.

I bought my One 12 days before the new maps were released and have been sucessful in getting the new 6.75 maps FOC. They did try to fob me off the first few times with the usual standard replies, but then my complaint was escalated to a supervisor who must have agreed with me.

Just need a bigger SD card now!!

Cheers :D
CrunchieBite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camel_face69 wrote:

I bought my One 12 days before the new maps were released and have been sucessful in getting the new 6.75 maps FOC. They did try to fob me off the first few times with the usual standard replies, but then my complaint was escalated to a supervisor who must have agreed with me.

That is interesting to know. I took delivery of a new TomTom One Western Europe on the 7th April and the new maps came out on the 17th so, I only had my 'bang up to date sat nav' for 10 days before it was no longer 'bang up to date' Crying or Very sad

Needless to say, I contacted TT CS and got the following canned reply:

"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Every TomTom device sold comes complete with the latest mapping available at the time of manufacture. The road networks are constantly changing and so we offer new versions of our maps at least once a year. Our customers are informed about this via the TomTom website and the TomTom newsletters.

The new digital map information that makes up the new maps has to be purchased by TomTom from third party map providers. TomTom unfortunately has to pass on the costs for new map data to you, the end user. As such updates of maps are rarely if ever free of charge to our customers.

We trust that you appreciate this and continue to have many pleasant hours driving with your TomTom device.

To purchase a new map, please visit this webpage:
http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team."

As I am sure you can appreciate, hearing that other users have managed to get free upgrades out of TomTom, I have replied stating that the reply was not acceptable. I can't wait to see what their reply is!

Mark
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
gareth71 wrote:
Tim Buxton wrote:
I'm sure that this is somethjing that will be asked of TomTom at the PGPSW Show tomorrow.

So what did they say?

Anyone? Surely someone must have asked them the question? 8O [/i]

Sorry! I didn't have the bottle - they were such nice boys.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well that's OK then. As long as they're nice boys, I don't mind buying a new satnav that's out of date before I've even opened the box. Sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, sorry, sorry. But I'd already embarrassed them because they were out of stock of the FM mounts. I may look 'ARD, but I'm a real softy pants inside.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Dennis, didn't mean to make it sound like I was having a dig at you personally. I'm just very disappointed that, despite having Tomtom representatives in attendance at an expo organised by Pocket GPS World (to all intents and purposes, cornered in a situation where they'd have to give meaningful answers to queries and couldn't just fob people off with the usual cut-and-paste stock e-mail response), not one person saw fit to ask them for an answer to what must currently be one of the most hotly-debated topics on the PGPSW forum!!

I really don't think you need to have worried about embarassing them, though - it strikes me that a company whose customer care ethic is as dreadful as Tomtom's would probably be so thick-skinned and unsympathetic towards a customer that they really wouldn't give a flying one about not being able to satisfactorily answer such a question. Frustrating, really - they make great satnav products but utterly fail to back those up with any sort of satisfactory customer care.
darrencripps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I paid for my GB map on 28/03/07 at 0148hrs (roughly!) as per the emailed invoice from TomTom.

I shall be giving them a hard time with a view to obtaining a free update.

In fact I will cut and paste the stock reply they sent (per the previous posting from CrunchieBite in this topic) and include in my email to pre-empt them sending one to me (thanks Crunchie)!!

I shall of course keep you updated.

Whilst I sort of understand their point, it bugs me beyond belief that nowadays you have to;

- wade through many layers of automated phone/email services, then;
- call-centre employees, then;
- 'supervisors', etc, then;
- complain

...before you can correspond with somebody who has an ounce of decision making/capacity for logic and/or sufficient authority to actually see that you are presenting a valid arguement.

I am slowly turning into Victor Meldrew Sad and have come to the stage where I enjoy arguing with these beauracratic (sic?) faceless corporations.

Enough of my rantings :x , should have gone to bed 3 hours ago.

Will let you know.

Nokia E71: with OVI Maps amd TTN6 (with Live Subscription) : Nokia BH800 Handsfree : CoPilot Bluetooth GPS unit (MDA Vario with CoPilot Live 6 gathering dus
CrunchieBite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got my reply from TomTom regarding my response to their initial reply and needless to say that it was about as useful as a proverbial chocolate tea-pot.

The TomTom response was as follows:

Im afraid this isnt a question that we can answer in customer service, we can answer questions relating to the current products/services available.

If you would like to make a complaint or a suggestion you can write to us, following the complaint procedure below.

--------

We understand that you are not satisfied with certain matters from your previous message. TomTom, however, aims at providing good solutions to our customers. Please inform us about your objection/complaint in writing since we cannot offer a suitable solution to your problem within the existing procedures.

You can send your complaint by post .

SNIP"

I have cut the reply off here as the reply actually goes on for several paragraphs containing word for word the exact same information contained at on the TomTom website at "www.tomtom.com/3127".

I guess this means that TomTom customer services are pretty useless and now expect me to write and send a letter via snail mail to Amsterdam just for them to maybe send me an email reply.

One words sums this up to me:

PATHETIC!
unwanted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a reply from TomTom see it here

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=54669&start=30

and at the sticky: GB Map errors
cardata2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is what i got back from tomtom not long ago-

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

May we apologise for this misunderstanding. As I understand you have a UK and Ie map preinstalled on your device, (ONE Regional). If that is in fact the case, you do have full right to a map update. In order for us to provide you with a new map update, we require the following:

1. Your product code (found on the black plastic card included in the box of your ONE)
2. A proof of purchase of your unit (e.g. copy of receipt).

This can be submitted either as a scanned image, or through fax.

so they do give free upgrades if bought after the 17th.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, as, when they produce a new UK & IE (without the Plus) which is not currently available!
CrunchieBite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D :D GOOD NEWS :D :D

I'm not at home presently so, I haven't been able to try this out to see if it works but, I had another reply from TomTom today regarding my free update of maps. The reply was as follows:

The company has now started a new map update promotion.

This means that customers with version 6.6 of the maps can update there maps to the latest version via a download free of charge.

Please update with your product code(this came in the box when you bought the tomtom)

We can then add a the new map to your account, so you can download it across to your tomtom.

I advise you buy a new 1gb sd card to store the new map on to, that way you can keep your original map, otherwise you can make a backup and delete the current map on there.

With Best Regards"

If this is true and it works, I guess it will appease most people who have recently purchased a TomTom and now have out of date maps.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more confused now...
So is this "new promotion" only for people whove bought units with v6.6 maps, or those who've bought the v6.6 maps as an upgrade in the last few months?

The statement quoted above seems to imply it is for EVERYONE:
Quote:
This means that customers with version 6.6 of the maps can update there maps to the latest version via a download free of charge.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: