Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Upgrade - New Confusion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Upgrade - New Confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: New Upgrade - New Confusion Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just upgraded from Navigator 3 on PDA (yes THREE!) to a Go 910 and have to say I am somewhat surprised at the differences in the way the two versions route my journeys.
I find that the older version tends to opt, when instructed, for the more logical routes. Shortest when 'Shortest route' selected, Quickest when 'Quickest route' selected etc. On the 910, I've found that it can at times do the opposite, and really take it's self of for a scenic route!

I've also subscribed to 'Traffic' for the free trial month and would also consider subscribing annually had some of the data not appear to be weeks old. e.g Roadworks (lane restrictions) in town (Dundee) which were removed a few weeks ago are still flagging as an 'incident' and actual lane restrictions on the Forth Rd Bridge (delays of up to 60min) are not even showing!

Anyone else had these problems with the routing and the 'Traffic'?
Is there anything that can be done to update the 'Traffic' to produce a more realistic depiction? How is this data collated and how is it updated?

Questions questions questions....sorry Smile
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretching my memory a bit but didn't TT3 have the ability to set speeds for different road types to allow you to twaek the routing a bit? I seem to recall something like that - but don't know if it was an earlier version - I was a very early user of TT on PDA.

If so the routing is now done using speeds allocated to the roads by the map supplier and TTs own expertise for other roads. As someone pointed out elsewhere in these forums TomTom upload information about your driving speeds for road types (if you allow them) when using TTHome. They use this to fine-tune their routing I guess.

Unfortunately the speeds allocated to roads on the 660 maps is woefully wrong in some places - the M6 north of Preston has huge stretches at 50mph. Under these circumstances it's no wonder that routing is less than optimal.

It's a shame. TT3 had a really useful feature set - but marketing decided to de-emphasise the PDA version in favour of their more profitable all-in-one units. Also there is a large amount of pirated TT navigator s/w out there - which is obviously costing them money. If they put back the user features from V3 they would have a product that meets 95%+ of users of these forums needs. (Which would probably mean most users in real terms).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: