Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom New Maps 17 April 2007
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom New Maps 17 April 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I do hope one or other of you will be at Sandown Park this weekend complete with a buncha notes on how an older person can get screen shots.

Dennis, you have a PM Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Unfortunately I'm still waiting for the gurus here to teach me how to do screen shots, so magic writing will have to do.
Tim and Richard - I do hope one or other of you will be at Sandown Park this weekend complete with a buncha notes on how an older person can get screen shots. Twisted Evil My French isn't up to all this!

Just so that everybody can see how valuable this site is, I received very prompt e-mail and PM from two kind gurus with the details on how to get screenshots - in well under two hours of posting the above, I've already got some screenshots. Thank you Richard and Andy. It'll be your fault when I start posting them! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Pritch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Pritch wrote:
I have a 2GB card in my 710 which I bought in preparation for needing the Central European Maps. I wanted to wait for the new maps to come out before buying, rather than paying twice, so here goes...!!

Now the question: If I bought the Maps of Western and Central Europe, which is normally for the 910, is there a reason why it wouldn't work on my 710?

Also, would I need to reinput all my favourites, or could I transfer them across by renaming the file?

The new map for 710 is just one - it covers only "western europe" as far as Austria and Germany - there is no Central Europe map. (For my GO700, the map was called "Western and Central Europe" and it goes further east - Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland). There is a difference in the size of the download file for the 710 and the 910. The 910 download is 1700Mb (same as for my 700) compared to 944Mb for the 710. I suspect if you bought the 910 map it wouldn't install on the 710.
The new (710) map would NOT install on my 2Gb card until I deleted the old map folder (so I copied the whole lot to my computer hard disk - using Win Explorer, not TT backup).
Copy your current MapSettings.cfg (from the present map folder) and paste it into the new map folder to carry over your settings and favourites.

Thanks for the feedback Dennis,
I'd also asked the same question of TomTom CS...
They've just said 'of course I could install that map' (and advised making a backup first too). So, I'll do that tomorrow, and if it all goes pear-shaped, I've now got their reply to claim a refund against :D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pritch wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Dennis,
I'd also asked the same question of TomTom CS...
They've just said 'of course I could install that map' (and advised making a backup first too). So, I'll do that tomorrow, and if it all goes pear-shaped, I've now got their reply to claim a refund against :D

BEWARE!! The way to get the download is by selecting your device then the map for it. In other words, you get the 910 map by choosing it from the 910 menu (you tell the system you've got a 910, but you haven't) - NOT from the 710 menu. The 710 menu does NOT offer the "Western Europe and Central Europe" map, only the "Western Europe". I suspect if you fail with the 910 map, TT might well say you did it to yourself by downloading a map from other than the 710 menu. Remember TT are not famous for their understanding of English language nuances, indeed not even for plain English. Personally I'd need to be VERY sure they really understood I intended installing a 910 (Hard Disk) map on a 710 (SD Card) device. For two pins (or a couple of gold plated reset paperclips) I'd be tempted to see if I could copy my GO700 map folder onto my (spare) GO710 SD card to see if it worked. I would have happily paid the extra fiver for the bigger map if I'd known in advance I was getting a lesser one.

Pritch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TomTom Home is set for the 710, as is my profile on the TomTom site. It was by looking at the at the purchasable maps through 'Home' that I first saw the combined map for €110, which would effectively save me the €50 from buying the Central Europe maps extra to the Western Europe ones.

I take your point and will make sure that all setting are for a 710 AND that the combined map is still visible against that setting before buying...

The CS comment (in German, which is where I am now) did say that I needed to make a backup copy of the SD card to remove the original map first to be able to do this, otherwise it would not fit, so I think he understood.

I don't really see it as being any different to me buy the USA maps extra, so I'll give it a go and see...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pritch wrote:
My TomTom Home is set for the 710, as is my profile on the TomTom site. It was by looking at the at the purchasable maps through 'Home' that I first saw the combined map for €110, which would effectively save me the €50 from buying the Central Europe maps extra to the Western Europe ones.

Ahah, the light shines now. Idea I have something of a terror of TT Home, so I hadn't even noticed you can look at map availability, I only saw what it shows in their website shop. Once again my RTFM phobia punishes me!! Looking at it through TT Home gives me reason to expect you'll be OK. I wish I'd known this before I downloaded just the Western Europe map (not that I expect to do a lot of travelling that way, but I have now found differences between the two on my two devices - WE on the 710, W&CE on the 700 - with the W&CE map being better).

Pritch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
but I have now found differences between the two on my two devices - WE on the 710, W&CE on the 700 - with the W&CE map being better).
Hehe, nice to know Wink
Pritch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the download and installation of the Western and Central Europe Map onto my 710 worked fine - just took about 3 hours for the lot Twisted Evil
...and I kept all my settings and favourites :D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pritch wrote:
Well, the download and installation of the Western and Central Europe Map onto my 710 worked fine - just took about 3 hours for the lot Twisted Evil
...and I kept all my settings and favourites :D
Congratulations - I only wish I had spotted that possibility myself. The time taken gels with my own downloads of both maps. I'm going to the PGPSW Expo this weekend and I wonder if I could ask the TT people whether they'd allow me to pay the extra fiver or so for the W&CE map to replace the WE map I downloaded. Won't hold my breath!!

andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andydigital44 wrote:
camel_face69 wrote:

Don't know about the free ticket to space but I sure as hell have got my new map for nowt, zero, diddley squat!! They sent me a promotion code which gave me a free download from the website. Cheers TomTom. Laughing

Well i've just rang up CS again and i mentioned that you were given a promotion code to use on the website to get a free map, and he told me that you are not telling the truth because there are no promotion codes for the new maps. His words not mine.

Its just my luck i only bought it 2 weeks ago. 2 times i have rung now and been really nice on the phone and still no luck, this time they told me to send it back to Amazon and tell them i'm not happy with the out of date map.

Well further to this thread: I sent a support ticket to them last Thursday saying that i was very unhappy about my 2 week old 910 being out of date maps wise and today they finally decided that they would allow me to update my maps to the latest version for free via Home.

2 days earlier i sent a ticket saying practically the same thing and they sent me the usual reply that They have to pay for a licence fee for the maps and they have to pass this onto the customer blah, blah. The mind boggles!!

Seems now though that the 6.75 map might be a step backwards according to the few threads i've read on the forum. I'll try reinstalling the 6.6 map as well from a backup and swap back and forth and see if i can spot any differences local to me.
unwanted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also posted this message I received from TomTom via ECC The Netherlands on a sticky thread...

“We have the opinion that the whole situation is a misunderstanding. The navigation industry is a relatively new industry and only has 15% of market penetration. Because of this the how and what concerning this industry isn’t completely clear to the larger public.

Digital map suppliers, such as TeleAtlas and Navteq depend upon local governments and other organizations in Europe to receive alterations from the highway network. On an annual basis around 5% of the total European highway network changes, this are a lot of kilometers.
Our map suppliers have a lot of employees who drive through Europe and analyze satellite images to register these changes and process these changes. This procedure, as you understand, is very labour intensive and a logistical challenge.

Because the roads change continuously the maps can never be a 100% accurate, this is also indicated in the license. Customers of TomTom can inform TomTom about possible changes. This information is shared with our map suppliers who also visits the appropriate location to register the most accurate situation. Nevertheless the coverage of the map data is in the most countries in Europe more then 99%.

TomTom uses the best possible map data that are available in the market. Our maps have a version number and a date, for example 2007.1. This means that all alterations checked by TeleAtlas before January 2007 are processed in the map material. After the processing of these alterations the map data are being compressed by TomTom this is because then the data fits on a SD card and therefore is affordable for the consumer. This huge procedure of millions of changes and compressing the data takes time and has the consequence that the date of the maps are several months old at the moment of purchase by the consumer. Important is that we ensure that we come onto the market first or simultaneously with the latest maps. We assure you that the data aren’t two years old, our employees are also aware of this and we are therefore surprised to read this in your letter."

At the end of the letter they still didnt want to commit themselves to the age of the maps apart from there newer than 2 years old... their employees stated in Dec'06 they were 2 years old, they also went on to say I should have done more research before buying a TomTom...

make of it what you want, I for one will not be buying maps from TomTom in a hurry, hope this helps others make their minds up to buy or not...
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Map Download Help Please Reply with quote

Over 36hrs ago I ordered via TT Home the new Europe maps for my TT910.

It had the correct model and device ID at checkout but TT Home still says no updates/downloads for my device Sad

Logged a support call with TT (where it says response in 24hrs).

36hrs - nothing Sad

Question, on the TT website under plus should any maps you buy on line show up? My one says none Sad

My camera updates however showup under plus and download okay?

Is this a TT error or is it me being thick?

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

HummerUK
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Map Download Help Please Reply with quote

Nearly 48hrs and still no contact from TT Support

Unit software updated today however to 6.525

HummerUK
HummerUK wrote:

It had the correct model and device ID at checkout but TT Home still says no updates/downloads for my device Sad

36hrs - nothing Sad

Question, on the TT website under plus should any maps you buy on line show up? My one says none Sad

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

HummerUK
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Downloading Now Reply with quote

Update,
My Plus Services now say I have the map of Europe which TT Home is now downloading Smile

I assume TT Techy's have done something.

HummerUK
HummerUK wrote:
Nearly 48hrs and still no contact from TT Support

Unit software updated today however to 6.525

HummerUK
HummerUK wrote:

36hrs - nothing Sad

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

HummerUK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: