Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Proliferation of mobile cameras on database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Proliferation of mobile cameras on database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:

Surely the arguments are pointless, as I can turn off audible warnings or enable/disable specific categories, plus the fact that when driving I am concentrating on the road and audible warnings are a background sound and are secondary like anybody else in the vehicle.

different units have different options for warnings. eg garmin either theres a audible&visible warning or none at all - there's no way to, for example, have the mobile icons show with no sound while gatsos give a warning

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
As one who is happy with situation as is, and just to add another worm to the can, The only thing I appear to be missing is an ogg file for the pmobiles, i.e. unverified mobile camera or am i missing something.

There are OGG files for the pMobiles now.
Quote:
Recently, an additional ‘p’ (for provisional) mobile site category has been added to the download package. If you select the speed-zoned download this will give you an additional seven 'p' files and just one for the consolidated download. This is an optional category that contains un-verified mobile sites.
I don't use them though, just a bing bong rather than spoken, so that I easily know the difference.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis, I did have a quick search yesterday, must have been another one of my offdays
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to add that I found this post very interesting, I haven't had time to get too involved due to work commitment, as you all talk when I work, the time I get to a good bit you have all moved to another view point.

I have learnt (which I didn't know Embarassed ) that I should be verifying a mobile when I see it in action.
I considered that it was there on the database to stay, as someone years ago had been convinced that a camera sits there sometime, whenever, and that was good enough, now I will do my bit and confirm when it is seen to show it is still active.

I often travel early am and late pm, so not always the best time to see vans but I have noticed a Truvelo only being warned the "wrong way round" as the deceitful have turned it round, so I will submit that.

I will now come far more aware to the camera activity/positions and try and help others rather than expect others to help me.

I hope pgpsw finds an ultimate answer to this problem and take up a few of the ideas, although I for one would like as many warnings as possible, I understand that if we have too much rubbish thrown at us, as hpgsmith stated, too many possibly false mobile warnings nearly had him caught with a real live Gatso.

Note for MaFt -

I have the same date database in the Nuvi 660 and Drivesmart but the Nuvi "bongs" constantly whilst the DS is quite (no warning at all), for some reason the DS seems more accurate.
Why would this be?
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:

Note for MaFt -

I have the same date database in the Nuvi 660 and Drivesmart but the Nuvi "bongs" constantly whilst the DS is quite (no warning at all), for some reason the DS seems more accurate.
Why would this be?

the DS uses the heading data (direction of travel) so maybe that is keeping it quiet whereas the nuvi cannot so you get a warning whatever direction you are travelling. could be that?

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
I will now come far more aware to the camera activity/positions and try and help others rather than expect others to help me.

Yessssss!! Jumping With Joy Bouncing So the thread has gained another convert. The more the merrier, welcome aboard. You've made my day.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
...I keep thinking you've reformed for a while, then suddenly you come back with a horrid again!
I can't remember - did you say you'll be at tomorrow's Expo (not that I'll see your reply in time to hide...

Damn... Definatly got my cumuppance this time. Thought I'd have an other go at slateing DennisN, and our works internet misteriously went down. That and all the lightning, thunder, and godly booming voice saying, Appologise! Hence late reply.

I'm So Sorry Dennis, Forgive me! Sad

GPS Expo, wanna go, can't, working, sux! Crying or Very sad

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As an example, in my locale (which is where I started the thread) there is a street where a van occasionally sits. I would class it as a regular location, and it is properly marked on the database. However, 2 other sites exist on the database on the same street within about 100 yards. Knowing that road well, yes it is possible that a van could be at these other locations, but it doesn't happen that way, as it invariably sits at the best site for getting a hidden "catch". I believe that the other 2 sites are simply slightly inaccurate reportings of the actual location. That then leads to 3 warnings when one suffices. For the mobile sites, surely we shouldn't need warnings less than 200 yards apart. We should be alerted sufficiently by one warning for that stretch.

From back when it was first requested that pmobiles be included in the database I have been more against than for and haven't used them.

However, I recently submitted a new mobile, now in the pmobile's, which appeared for the first time, a few hundred yards further on than an existing one, which has been active in the past couple of months.

By not including the new position you could be getting a warning of the first, see no van and assume all is clear, only to be caught out if the van is at the new position. In this case two warnings are needed.

I have no idea if it was a ploy by 'plod' to catch out those who are aware of the usual position or whether they were unable to park at the usual position because of parked cars, although when I passed the usual position there were spaces available. There are parking bays (lay-byes) for approximately a mile along one side of the road, and they could park anywhere along that stretch.

The thing is, supposing they choose yet another position along this section and then another, there could be 3, 4 or more pmobiles positions showing, which could all be reported as feasible.

The only way I can see round this is to have a warning at the first camera warning sign, 30mph (in this case) and maybe the bitmap mobile camera in red instead of black to show they operate in a number of positions between the first and last warning signs.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt replied
Quote:
different units have different options for warnings. eg garmin either theres a audible&visible warning or none at all - there's no way to, for example, have the mobile icons show with no sound while gatsos give a warning

Take your point,which explains why I am happy because i can independently choose categories ttn6 whilst others are not, you highlighted something which i was not aware of, and also high lights the difficulty you have of meeting everybodies expectations, so perhaps the arguments are not so pointless after all.
sorry for delay but this discussion certainly seems to have taken off tonight after a quite spell of postings over the past week.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to dennis and mullet for the leads on ogg p files, I had already downloaded and installed the crystal set but unforunately the chime didnt show, already using liz plus siren zoned files which i find the best, mullets offer did appeal but unfortunately only single alerts, due to hearing problem in not usually hearing first syllable like to hear chime or siren to alert otherwise miss start of sentence without, otherwise still better than tomtoms lifeless sounds and will do till liz produces full set.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
.... ... see no van and assume all is clear, only to be caught out if the van is at the new position

Ouch!!! Sad, fat old man that I am, I use the warnings as reminders not to let my dementia take over, thereby allowing my speed to creep up. No offense meant - I think you fell into the mistake and didn't really mean "speed if you can avoid getting caught".

aj2052 wrote:
not usually hearing first syllable like to hear chime or siren to alert otherwise miss start of sentence without
Snap! Me three. I think we have Mullet to thank for the sirens and volumes on that one.

As for Mullet worrying about me and skiddies, no problem - I only learned two months ago (grandson on zip wire) what a wedgy is!! Back wen I wur a lad, we dint know abaht that sort of bodily region (and still got threepence change to cum ome from 't factory).

As for mostdom trying to do grovel - too late matey - he's looking down and marking your card!! That's probably why you couldn't make it to the Expo - I got pgpsw keyrings and was so early I got the "first come first served" bluetooth USB dongle thing (although I fear it might have a manual inside the box Sad ) AND my raffle tickets were all below 25 (but we didn't stay for the draw, so who knows who they'll give my nice new prize to (to whom they'll .... - smack, get your grandma right, boy!).

Apologies for long rambling post - been missing my posting "fix" by going to Sandown Park. 'Ere, for those who wondered (and who are familiar with Dan Dare) I met bunches of pgpsw gurus doing satnav stuff and they look like real humans!! - not a single Mekon (normal body, huge pumpkin size shiny bald head) among them. Couldn't figure out where they keep all their brains. They were really nice to me - asked to see my teeth and everything.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
...As for mostdom trying to do grovel - too late matey - he's looking down and marking your card!! That's probably why you couldn't make it to the Expo...

Yep! I'm going downstairs when I die. I could have been at the expo, but instead spent the day twidling my thumbs at work. Still no internet, so no external amusement at all thanks to BT. So getting my fix now too, I think they call us Forum Junkies Dennis!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No offense meant - I think you fell into the mistake and didn't really mean "speed if you can avoid getting caught".
Oh no, of cause not, I see what you mean. No offence taken.

It is quite easy to creep over along this road, I've lived here nearly 38 years so know it well. Although only two lane, single carriageway, the houses are placed some distance from the actual road, so the sense of speed makes you feel you are going slower than you are. I've often glanced at the speedo and realised I'm 5mph over the top. With this in mind, I thought someone who drives like myself, and you appear to come in this category from what you say, you would get a warning of the first one, adjust speed, see no sign of a van and could then creep up again and be flashed at the new position.

I hadn't been using the pmobiles but the same situation could occur if I'm travelling through an unknown area, so decided it may be wise to try them for a while.

Happy Days.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: