Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Backing up maps to a new SD Card.......
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Backing up maps to a new SD Card.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TELREA
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Backing up maps to a new SD Card....... Reply with quote

Hi all just a quick couple of questions if you kind peeps can answer for me please....I have had a TomTom One V2 for a few months and its a great piece of kit,i usually use Tomtom home to make back ups once a month,bought a new 1 gig Kingston card and decided to transfer my latest back up to my new card and use it keeping the original card safe.

Everything went well,before inserting the new kingston card i checked how much room according to TomTom that was free on the original card....which turned out to be 19mb,inserted new card got the tomtom drumroll,the little blue bar appeared but when i checked how much memory was free on the new card it showed 20mb 8O Exclamation I would imagine tomtom would show at least over 700mb free or am i reading this wrong??

Anyway i inserted the original card again checked memory and it then showed 24mb free totally confused now does the tomtom delete old files when inserting the memory card and does it not show the free capacity of a 1 gig card?

Sorry if this is long winded any help much appreciated

TEL.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you possibly confusing free RAM with free space on the SD card?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, lbendlin is right.... as far as I know, there is no way to show memory card space on the TomTom screen.
You need to examine the card with Windows (right click / properties)
TELREA
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks peeps for the replies i feel just a wee bit silly now Embarassed i did check through windows explorer and there is loads of room left on my new card.......

TEL
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome TEL.
Memory is RAM, not the card and I understand that the free memory will vary all the time during use, partly because like a PC, it uses the card for virtual memory.

Just out of interest, many of us use Windows Explorer to do backups. And with Win Explorer, you can see the actual spare space on the card. If you don't know how, when you plug in the device (or the card) to your computer, when Home starts up, just minimise it, then start up Windows Explorer. You'll find the Tom Tom showing as another drive, e.g. F:Tom Tom, which you'll be able to look at just like any other drive. Right click, then Properties will show how the space is used. One word of warning - DO NOT even think of doing things to it like a Defrag - although you can see it, it's not a Windows system drive, it's Linux (whatever that is, just don't mess with it). You can copy files to and from it using Win Explorer and that's how we do the backups - simply select all (with all files and extensions showing), then copy and paste to somewhere for a complete copy.
When you are done with looking, remember first to restore Home, then click the My Device button to disconnect it.

Hah! On Preview, I see that my typing speed has allowed others to get there before me.You'll be as slow as this when you get to my age.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
TELREA
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis and everyone else who took the time to reply cheers,one more little thing Smile Because of the extra memory will i be able to save more destinations under the Favourites section?Or am i still confined to the ones 48 limit?

TEL. :D
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid it won't make any difference. It's a number limitation of the software.

If you want more than 48, why not convert them to a POI. Then you are only limited by the size of the SD Card, and your patience. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: