Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 gave me a puncture :@
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 gave me a puncture :@
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
Are you suggesting that there's no road classifications below B roads?
No, there's an unpaved category for sure. What I'm saying is that I believe (based on Garmin's comments) that the next category up from unpaved covers both unclassified and B roads.

Could you cite the coments that suggest that? All I read was that unclassified and B roads often had NSL limits - that's still two different types of road.

Is it quite clear that Garmin are saying that NAVTEQ maps don't differentiate between these types of roads? Because all I'm reading is that they are simply saying that they both have the same speed limit.

Last edited by Lester_Burnham on Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
the roads are classified by speed, the routing engine uses this speed classification in order to plan the route according to the selected profile - that’s the easy bit.

Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
mikealder wrote:
the roads are classified by speed, the routing engine uses this speed classification in order to plan the route according to the selected profile - that’s the easy bit.

Milkfloat wrote:
One of the problems is that those farm tracks are public rights of way which a vehicle can pass through. NAVTEQ has done a big clean up of these to try to prevent the GPS manufacturers from using them, however if the manufacturers want to create routing algorithms that ignore this what can NAVTEQ do?

I can confirm that Garmin have changed their routing algorithm, it now takes into consideration the speed category of the road rather than the class of road. Hence lots of routes down roads which you are legally allowed to go fast down (i.e. National Speed limit) that may in fact be roads you cannot actually go fast down.

I do believe that "Milkfloat" is in some way connected to NAVTEQ...

See that "rather" in the second paragraph?

Last edited by Lester_Burnham on Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see he has confirmed what Alix776 and MikeB have said, in that Garmin use the speed of the road.

However, do we know when Garmin updated their algorithm, and when Navteq released the cleaned up maps - ie should an existing i3 / Nuvi unit with v8 / v9 Garmin maps have the fixed algorithm or not...?

I wonder, though, whether this helps - if it now ignores road classification, then surely there's a risk it will be encouraged to use more minor NSL roads if they save a minute or two, whereas before it may have ignored those roads due to their classification....?

The most positive thing though, is that Navteq and Garmin are / have been working on this together.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Nice to see he has confirmed what Alix776 and MikeB have said, in that Garmin use the speed of the road.

Was that ever doubted, though? I mean why else would the units use such roads?

swing wrote:
However, do we know when Garmin updated their algorithm, and when Navteq released the cleaned up maps - ie should an existing i3 / Nuvi unit with v8 / v9 Garmin maps have the fixed algorithm or not...?

Well that quote from Milkfloat isn't particularly new - it was from a thread some time back, regarding routing issues - I think - with the i3.

swing wrote:
I wonder, though, whether this helps

How do you mean? Whether established what's going on with the map contents, and Garmins routing rationale? Or simply Garmin's routing rationale?

swing wrote:
- if it now ignores road classification, then surely there's a risk it will be encouraged to use more minor NSL roads if they save a minute or two, whereas before it may have ignored those roads due to their classification....?

Well indeed - doesn't that go to shape the whole problem?

swing wrote:
The most positive thing though, is that Navteq and Garmin are / have been working on this together.

Well it would appear from Milkfloat's comments that Garmin appear to have taken some kind of retro-grade step in this, and are ignoring salient parts of their mapping, perhaps to make their bits (/code) simpler.

I mean Milkfloat's comments aren't entirely positive - they suggest that NAVTEQ are doing their best to deal with such problems, but that sat nav makers are ignoring some of the map data, and just going with speed rating. It kinda implies that NAVTEQ are endeavouring to imrove matters, but being slightly frustrated by sat nav companies dumbing down, somewhat.

Last edited by Lester_Burnham on Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 apologies for repeatedly spelling NAVTEQ wrong - if only the forum allowed posts to be edited by the author...

(edit: now corrected)

Last edited by Lester_Burnham on Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if only the forum allowed posts to be edited by the author...

er... Look to the top right of any of your posts???? Next to the quote button.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
oo, that wasn't there yesterday...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
oo, that wasn't there yesterday...

Shhh don't tell everyone or they'll all want one!
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
if only the forum allowed posts to be edited by the author...

Well spotted - must be some new fangled development. When did they start allowing that?
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Please see my post http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=313742#313742

it has an e-mail address of a person at Garmin who wants to hear from everyone having this issue. It may prompt some action.

Cheers.

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: