Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - viaMichelin 980T Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

viaMichelin 980T Camera Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: viaMichelin 980T Camera Database Reply with quote

I’m thinking of buying the viaMichelin 980T in the near future, wife permitting! :D TMC sounds good although not a critical factor, but if anyone has any real life experience of this I would be interested. More importantly is the Pocket World camera database compatible with this unit. I have glanced at the forums and am unsure.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - you can download the camera database for viaMichelin 980T from here (subject to membership).

TMC is fine when it works but there are a lot of issues around reception with users of different manufacturers TMC units. It seems to be down to the poor signal levels in the UK and the pathetically inadequate piece of wire that they use as an aerial. General concensus would be to connect the TMC aerial to an external aerial of some sort. have a look throughthe forums for details.

Any reason for going for the ViaMichelin? For similar price you can get similarly equipped units from TomTom and GARMIN.
JohnnySW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil

Thanks for the reply. As I said TMC is a nice idea and a nice to have although not critical. Not surprised to hear it’s patchy, although on the 980T it’s free.

Re type on unit, the only reason I was looking at the 980T is I use viaMichelin web site from time to time so have sort of got used to it. Also of course this is a new (ish) unit with (SiRF Star III) and to be honest it looks quite good. Brother has TomTom one Europe which looks OK. Which TomTom or Garmin units would you recommend, ability to update Camera Database is important.

John
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used any TT stand alone units but I have used TT navigator s/w from the very early days. It is very nice. When I decided to go for a stand alone unit I opted for the GARMIN nuvi 660 as it looks really neat compared with a TomTom 710/910 (which were the options I was looking at).

The nuvi 360 is very nice looking (same s/w as 660 but smaller screen size). My wife is thinking of getting one (well actually it's her birthday soon so I guess it may be me getting her one!) and I would certainly look at the nuvi 360 as it has the hands-free phone capability.

What I would suggest is that you get down to somewhere like Halfords etc and have a look at the different units there. They usually have a good range of GARMIN and TOMTOM units in stock.

Check out the suppliers advertising down the RHS of this page.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny, if you like the via michelin then have you seen the new x970T? it uses new, improved software too.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Blogs&op=showBlog&idBlog=18#Blog147

they seem quite nice although i've not seen it "in action" so to speak. also the unique design of the tmc aerial is worth a mention.

MaFt
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: 980T Reply with quote

I have the 980T and a Garmin 2820. The best thing about the ViaMichelin product is the POIs and the detailed description of restaurants and hotels. The TMC works really well in France but not very well in the UK. It is a little slower than the Garmin and the battery life is not very good. I think the speed cameras are out of date!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've recently got hold of a 950T and i'm pretty impressed with the TMC reception right away. i picked up signal and a list of problems from inside my house - even with the fujitsu loox n10 i never had any signal driving around...

MaFt
JohnnySW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see the BLOG re the 970T, would seem to be more on the lines of the TomTom one Europe. There seems to be no information available, specs for this unit though or a release date, any ideas?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnySW wrote:
I did see the BLOG re the 970T, would seem to be more on the lines of the TomTom one Europe. There seems to be no information available, specs for this unit though or a release date, any ideas?

the 980 can't use the new software (due to technical reasons) but other han that the 980 is probably the 'higher' model.

i really cant remember if there was a release date mentioned for the 970 though...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: