Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT wireless GPS MK2 charging problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT wireless GPS MK2 charging problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky_v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: TT wireless GPS MK2 charging problem Reply with quote

long time, no posts, but here goes......i have the above mentioned receiver, but for the last few months, it doesnt seem to be charging properly.....i did have the standard charging cable, but due to some scumbag breaking into my cab, he had the cable away and i've now got one of those hard wired cradles for it.....even with this new cradle it doesnt charge correctly, i have to move the unit about till the orange light stays on, it seems the charging receptilce in the unit is knackered....now the easy bit is this....can it be fixed or a new unit needed??? many thanks for any help, getting fed up of the red light coming on!!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same TT MkII GPS.

What hard wired cradle are you using?

I have an ARKON powered mount for my AXIM PDA and this has a 3.5mm socket (together with cable) for connecting to (most) GPS units. This has given me a year+ of good service. I usually have the GPS on the dash 'tethered' to the PDA mount by this power lead. It has slid about, fallen off the dash and generally swung about on the power lead and doesn't seem to have come to much harm (yet).

Is there any play in the socket on the GPS? If this is moving it may well have come unsolderd from the board inside the unit. I don't know if it is possible to open this GPS (never needed to try) but if it is out of warranty and 'broken' there's probably no great harm to be done (famous last words).

Can you try a different cable? You should be able to pick up a suitable one from MAPLIN. One thing I have noticed with the TT GPS is that it doesn't want to charge until the battery has been run down a little bit (in my case I can run it on battery for 15mins before it will actually recharge when plugged into power. (Does that make sense?) I.e. if I run the TT GPS from fully charged for 10 mins without power plugged in and then apply power the orange light won't come on. I guess the battery sensing unit has a certain amount of hysterisis in its design
marky_v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
I have the same TT MkII GPS.

What hard wired cradle are you using?

am using one found on amazon for the gps receiver, got it from somewhere else tho, but can't find the link, nor am i able to post the link, keeps coming up anable to use those tags???? but search amazon using these keywords "Professional Cradle for Tomtom 5 Navigator Bluetooth GPS Receiver"

am using this for my XDA2s, again can't post the link, but it's on pdamods' website, top item in the accessories for XDAIIs

Can you try a different cable?

i have tried both that were supplied, one is a cable from the gps cradle, i believe RJ11 to DC, proper fittings which i still use now, neater....and the other is a fag lighter to DC plug, again same probs

Is there any play in the socket on the GPS?

yes, this is where i think the major problem lies, it is loose, if i wiggle the receiver the charging light comes on, sometimes dimly, another movement, full brightness, so am guessing like you mentioned that the socket is duff, unfortunately, i'm no dab-hand with the soldering iron, so will have to get someone else to look at it and fix

many thanks and best regards

oh note to any mods reading this, i can't post links using the url...../url (i do include the square brackets but not now otherwise i couldn't post)....any ideas please??? could ya fix it for me please?? ta!! Thumbs Up
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_v wrote:

oh note to any mods reading this, i can't post links using the url...../url (i do include the square brackets but not now otherwise i couldn't post)....any ideas please??? could ya fix it for me please?? ta!! Thumbs Up

The simplest way to post a link (at least to my way of thinking) is to type the URL text first (cut&paste from browser window works best!) , select it then click the URL button once.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: