Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Not very impressive Garmin customer experience
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Not very impressive Garmin customer experience
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfaholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Not very impressive Garmin customer experience Reply with quote

I've had my little i3 since November 2005 and used it extensively in two cars, whilst not perfect it has been a good little unit. It's about to become redundant, however, as I am about to retrofit the standard BMW sat-nav into my new car, but until I get all the bits and get them fitted I will still have to rely on my old little i3.

Unfortunately, over the past 6 months the little clips that hold my i3 onto it's windscreen mount have all started to fall off one-by-one. Now I only have one left and I have to use blu-tac to keep the unit attched to it's mount, which is a less than perfect solution to say the least, especially as it keeps falling off!

Having read much about Garmin's great customer care on this forum I gave them a call today to see if they could help me out. First of all, I was on hold for about 20 minutes before I got through to anyone. Once I did I explained the situation and they said I could return it to be repaired - Great news! However, I would need to include the original reciept. I explained that the unit was purchased from Maplin but that it was a birthday gift from my parents and that I didn't have the reciept. The operative asked if my parents might still have the reciept, but I explained that this was unlikely given that the unit was purchased in November 2005.

At this point the operative said "Oh well, then it's out of warranty anyway", fair enough, but at no point had I suggested that it was still under warranty, I just wanted it fixed. I was told that they could fix it but it would cost £78 +VAT and I would have to pay to return the unit. All told I would be looking at close to £100 to fix a common fault. I was seriously unimpressed, after all, you can buy an i3 new for £99 here:

http://www.motor-world.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod_id=10471[url]

I explained this to the operative as well as the fact that I could get a used on on eBay for £50, but all she could say was "Yeah, but if you sent it back you would get a new one with new maps".

I said I would think about it, which I did, for about 5 seconds. I think I'll be sticking with my rubbish blu-tack solution! I would gladly have paid up to £40 to get this thing sorted out, which I think is ore than fair for a replacement bit of plastic, but I thought the price Garmin quoted to me was a joke and their attitude sucked. I have been a loyal Garmin customer for nearly 18 months and I have recomended the little i3 to a lot of people over this time, particularly as they have such a good aftersales reputation.

Well, they can forget it, if anyone asks me again I'll tell them to buy a TomTom, and, once the BMW gets it's standard fit sat-nav, my little i3 is going in the bin![/url]
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that, but their request for a receipt does sound reasonable enough, also your unit is 1 and a half year old it is also reasonable to be out of warranty. As for the repair price unfortunately all major companies are like that. My friend bought a sony vaio laptop and broke down luckily one week before the warranty expired!!! She has been told that she would have to pay around £150 for the collection/delivery and repair costs, but since it was under warranty she got it all for free
Alfaholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware that the unit is out of warranty, what got me was the cost of the repair. Given the fact that these items are so inexpensive it's simply not worth the hassle. Why rip off your existing customers? It doesn't make any sense.
Harveyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general experience of out of warranty claims is a high flat labour fee plus parts and carriage at my expense. To be told that you would receive a new model with new maps sounds more than reasonable so I've got to say that I also find this an unconvincing example of poor customer service.

Also Tomtoms are great units but if you find poor customer service and mounting problems annoying I'm not sure that you should be sending people that way.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid i have to agree. £100 for a new unit with v9 maps is great when you consider the cost of the nearest decent rival unit is twice as much. £100 is the current retail price IF you can find an i3....

As the unit is out of warranty why should Garmin absorb the cost for repair?

Also "to fix a common fault." Who said it is a common fault?
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Not very impressive Garmin customer experience Reply with quote

Alfaholic wrote:

Unfortunately, over the past 6 months the little clips that hold my i3 onto it's windscreen mount have all started to fall off one-by-one. Now I only have one left and I have to use blu-tac to keep the unit attched to it's mount, which is a less than perfect solution to say the least, especially as it keeps falling off!

Well... The garmin warranty is only sights IN EXCESS of the sales of goods act. The advantage of paying extra for buying stuff here in the UK, is that Garmin have to adhere to UK consumer law.

So ring them, insist that physically breaking after only 16 months shouldn't be expected, and that the unit should last longer. The law states that an item should be usable for something like 6 YEARS (Depending on exactly what it is, some items are shorter times).
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a little difficult to prove:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page24700.html

When you think of the hourly charge for a techy to look at it the £100 is reasonable.
Alfaholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, if Garmin simply sold me the rear part of the case that includes the mount then I'll gladly buy it from them and repair it myself, it is a very, very simple repair.

The problem is caused by plastic fatigue and that is a manufacturing fault, plain and simple, either that or the clip itself is not up to the job of holding the unit on it's mount.

Either way, I am loathed to pay £100 for a simple repair like this when I could buy a brand new TomTom One V2 for £145.

Meanwhile I still have the unit and i'm still using the blu-tac method which is less tha perfect and have been actively trying to source a faulty unit through eBay in order to swap the rear casing over. it's a less than perfect solution, but much more economically viable than forking out an outrageous £100 to Garmin simply because they refuse to sell spare parts.
Alfaholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellaMaris wrote:
When my i3 had the same problem, I knew when I sent it to them that the max repair cost would be as said above. A fixed repair cost. However, they will ring you to confirm the cost before making any repair. You can decide whether to continue or not. You should do this because that is how I got a new i3 which was out of warranty and it was replaced without charge. If you get up tight about these things, just go through the process and you may be surprised and receive a new unit. I was surprised and very hap;py about the service I received.

Garmin have to have a policy to work to and from what I have seen, they do not stick to this and often give the customer the benefit of the doubt.

Fair enough, but there is no guarantee that Garmin will do the same with me is there? They didn't quote that price as a "max repair cost", they just told me it was going to cost £100. At that price I don't think I'm the only consumer that would find an extra £45 for the TomTom One, a far superior bit of kit.
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Alfaholic"I don't think I'm the only consumer that would find an extra £45 for the TomTom One, a far superior bit of kit.[/quote]

What makes you think its superior? I had a TT one V2 which quickly went back to Halfords for a refund. Routing was dreadful , POI's in wrong streets or opposite side of the road, roads with no names despite being there for 5 years - I could go on.

For what its worth I don't think £ 100 repair charge for being out of warranty is unreasonable, especially if you get a new unit with V9 maps
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem is caused by plastic fatigue and that is a manufacturing fault, plain and simple, either that or the clip itself is not up to the job of holding the unit on it's mount.

Can you prove this?

Mine is 18 months old and has been used amost daily often being put on and off the mount several times in a day. No "plastic fatigue " for mine.

Quote:
if Garmin simply sold me the rear part of the case

Did you ask them if they would??
Alfaholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@JoshT: Do I think the TT One V2 is superior? Having used both, yes, I do. I prefer the smoother scrolling maps, I prefer the touch screen interface and the one I used (my brother's unit) worked beautifully, no problems at all, plus the windscreen mount is much more sturdy!
Alfaholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Can you prove this?

Mine is 18 months old and has been used amost daily often being put on and off the mount several times in a day. No "plastic fatigue " for mine.

Quote:
if Garmin simply sold me the rear part of the case

Did you ask them if they would??

I appreciate that your unit has not failed, the point is that some of them do, which is most likely due to poor quality mouldings on some casings that lead to plastic fatigue or hairline fractures, causing the ball sockets to fail.

Yes, I did as Garmin to supply me with the part but they said I had to return the unit.
Alfaholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

It's been a while, so I figured I'd give Garmin a call again and see what happens. To my surprise, a really lovely customer service agent took the call and was extremely helpful, a totally different experience to my first call to Garmin in March.

First of all, despite not having the yellow slip with the registration code in the box with my i3, the Garmin agent registered my i3 via the "my Garmin" site, making it eligible for V9 Map upgrades, which was very nice of them.

Secondly, they have changed their tune somewhat regarding the repair, they acknowledge that this type of fault can sometimes be an issue and have urged me to send it in. They have given me an RMA number and stated that the maximum they would charge me for the repair is £73.81. However, one of their engineers would call me before any repair was carried out and in cases where they feel the unit has failed due to manufacting fault they normally repair or replace the item for free (hint hint).

Wow.

So, I shall be returning the unit as requested and I now feel quite elated after experiencing the great Garmin customer care that I have heard so much about. Looks like I'll be keeping my little i3 for a while longer!

Now all I need to do is to figure out how to stop the bloody windscreen mount falling off the windscreen all the time...

Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfaholic wrote:

Now all I need to do is to figure out how to stop the bloody windscreen mount falling off the windscreen all the time...

Wink

now THAT is a common problem ;)[/i]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: