Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Zumo - confused!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Zumo - confused!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisSheepy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Zumo - confused! Reply with quote

Right, I had a Rider last year when the prices came down the first time, but sold it pretty quickly because it just didn't feel properly developed; and various mount issues have borne that out.

So - now I see the Zumo is on the market, and it looks on the face of it like the thing for me; I don't have a car, my bike is my main transport, so as well as recreational riding I want a satnav for business travel and would like to be able to use my phone. (I do sometimes have hire cars, so I need car use as well).

But I'm confused between the 500 and 550, as the information on Garmin's site isn't that clear and I'm not seeing a consistent picture anywhere else.

Can anyone confirm that the things the 550 has over the 500 are:

European Maps (don't need them)
Text-to-speech (not bothered about that)
Car mount provided (absolutely essential).

If true, does anyone sell the car mount on its own and how much is it?

Alternatively, as I already have a bluetooth speaker for the car (Jabra SP500) I don't need the speaker in the car mount, so wondered if I could manage with a bean bag and 12v lead?

Finally - for a similar price to the zumo 550 there's the 2820 - apart from the 'power user' features is there any big benefit of the 2820 over the zumo?

Thanks!
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this mite help soz its not on here
http://www.yournav.com/content/review/250/Garmin_zumo__Riders_Bigger_Brother.html
ChrisSheepy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - basically, if you need a car mount (which most people do) it's not worth getting the 500 because the list price of the mount (never mind the 12v cable) is ninety quid!

As that makes the price over five hundred quid I decided instead to keep my phone and satnav separate, and I've ordered a 2610 from gpsw (I won't register it until I see V9 updates come out Smile )

It'll be a pain not having sound on the bike, but it'll do the job for now - I can then look at a zumo in maybe a couple of years.

Cheers
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure i have read somewhere the internal memory on the 500 is smaller and that is why it only comes with UK and Ireland.
Anyone know if this is true because if the memory size is the same then you can just load the rest of the maps with the full European DVD that comes with it.??
Des

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: