Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Nuvi to go for?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Nuvi to go for?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blinkz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Which Nuvi to go for? Reply with quote

hey guys,
Am looking at getting a nuvi in the near future and am trying to decide what to do. I am basically torn between getting a 300 with a TMC adapter and the 350. My budget doesn't allow me to get the 350 with the TMC at the moment unfortunately! At present I am only based in the UK so the 300 would be sufficient, plus I am very keen for the traffic info (nothing worse then getting stuck in traffic!) Is the TMC actually worth it? I've seen mixed reports on whether it is actually usable. In the future I'm going to be travelling around Europe quite a lot so at some point I will need to have the full Europe maps on it, is the 300 easy to upgrade? I assume that I will have to use a SD for this since it doesn't have much memory? Also I would like to add some custom POIs, and I'm not sure how much of a problem the limited memory on the 300 would be? I would also like the TTS but again this is only on the 350!! waaahhhh decisions! any advice any of you can offer would be gratefully received!!
Carados
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant speak for the 300, but i recently purchased a 350 from www.blokesstuff.com for £220.

It was delivered promptly and in good order.

Personaly, i'm delighted with it. Easy to use, so far, spot on accuracy, packed with great features and it looks and feels great quality.

My only criticism is that the voice can seem distorted at full volume, i guess down to the speakers, but after reading some helpful posts on here, i'm gonna purchase an FM transmiter to link it up to my car stereo which will hopefuly sort this minor glich out.

I'd recomend this model to anyone.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 350 that I managed to use for some months without TTS enabled. Got it out of the box and it was so easy to use I never looked at the instruction book then noticed the box after a period of time with reference to TTS.
Wouldn't be without it now.
I've had quite a saga with TMC units that has been documented here, I'm not sure that I would bother again with them. Reception can be patchy and only a few main roads are covered.
I use the talking books and MP3 with 4GB SD cards, European mapping was v good and should be better with V9
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 310D from Halfords, which included the Traffic Module and full European mapping.

In my view the traffic information is of very limited benefit. Coverage is patchy, and in my experience is much the same as radio reports - usually out of date. I have travelled along many free flowing roads which are showing up as having traffic incidents, and I have also sat in long jams which are never reported by the traffic module.

I've also got a 2GB SD card, which allows all of Europe to be added, with about 900k free for other things (music, books etc). I've also loaded around 16,000 POI with no issues.

I think the NUVI is a great SatNav, but in my view the traffic module is more of a gimmick and is not reliable enough to be used for making routing decisions.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my TMC enabled Nuvi took me off of the M23 ontu the M25 and then off again to avoid the M25 hold up and then into traffic chaos due to accident on a road not covered by TMC.
nomadman2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I know that this may be out of your price bracket at present, but after returning my Quest2 (I had a Quest1 and it was ace, but the 2 is rubbish) I went to Blokesstuff and bought the Nuvi 370T (costs between £320 and £340.

Yes it is expensive, but packed with everything Europe NT v9, USA NT v8, Bluetooth phone, MP3, Garmin Lock, Traffice Master, TTS voice, excellent redraw and recalc. Spot on Post code database and so simple to use.

If you can save a little more, go for the Nuvi 370T, you wont regret it.
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Today my TMC enabled Nuvi took me off of the M23 ontu the M25 and then off again to avoid the M25 hold up and then into traffic chaos due to accident on a road not covered by TMC.
Laughing

Couldn't help but smile at this. A little unfair on the nuvi but I suppose it shows up the TMC limitations a treat. My TMC works really well (I haven't upgraded yet - too scared to after horror stories of V4) but there is no substitute for local knowledge and you always risk being diverted into something worse. It is a bit of a gimmick but it has saved me on a few occasions and it's a fun gimmick to have. The problem with the nuvi (310 anyway) is you can't tell it not to use a certain section of road, so trying to divert around an incident you hear about on the radio is a pain as it tries to take you back on course once you divert. The detour function is just a joke.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Halfords appear to have just reduced the price of the Nuvi 310D down to £249 - bit of a bargain really. Yes, it does have limitations as described above but put it this way - I trust it far more than the OEM fit unit in my car which would have cost £1800 had it not been standard!
smargerison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought my 360 from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk as they were the cheapest I could find at the time, prices have come down now though and they have the 360T at £245 including the traffic aerial which is a bargain, they also have the 310D with Eu maps on a CD at £217, also with the traffic aerial.
xspartx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the 370T is selling for MORE than the 660.

I cannot understand this.

Anyone know why?
nomadman2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be because the 660 comes preloaded with NT Europe or North America, but the 370T comes with NT Europe and NT North America.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bought my 360 from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk as they were the cheapest I could find at the time, prices have come down now though and they have the 360T at £245 including the traffic aerial which is a bargain, they also have the 310D with Eu maps on a CD at £217, also with the traffic aerial.

PLUS VAT !! That's dearer than Halfords for the 310D
kopo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin Nuvi 310 £158.98
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Nuvi-310-Touch-screen/dp/B000FMJWRA/ref=sr_1_1/?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1175354668&sr=1-1&tag2=hotukdeals-21
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: FM Transmitter Reply with quote

Anyone know of Garmin plans to release a standard Nuvi with FM transmittor (like the 670)?

Don't wish to pay for US and full European mapping, if I don't have too, as UK only need

How does everyone get on with add on transmittors?
seacon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kopo wrote:
Garmin Nuvi 310 £158.98
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Nuvi-310-Touch-screen/dp/B000FMJWRA/ref=sr_1_1/?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1175354668&sr=1-1&tag2=hotukdeals-21

This is seriously cheap deal. 8O It appears to be £50 less than anywhere else. I wonder have Amazon made a mistake on the price?
If not, it's hard to go past this unit at this price Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: