Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to use Text-to-speech on the C510 / C530
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to use Text-to-speech on the C510 / C530

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: How to use Text-to-speech on the C510 / C530 Reply with quote

I discovered that you can get the TTS voices working (at least temporarily) on the C510 (and presumably the C530). This is not to be entered into lightly though - hangs / crashes /lock-ups are to be expected -- and there's a lot of deleting to do to make enough space for the new voices.

However - if you're feeling brave, click this link.

(The instructions are far too big to type in here).

The first time you hear "Turn right on so-and-so road" instead of just "Turn right", you'll be hooked.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: How to use Text-to-speech on the C510 / C530 Reply with quote

Me wrote:
I discovered that you can get the TTS voices working (at least temporarily) on the C510

The story has moved on - Text-to-Speech can now be made to work permanently. ..or at least until Garmin patch the firmware...

http://geepeeex.googlepages.com/text2speech
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it work on a Nuvi 310D?

I got fed up with Garmin's lack of help with my 510D TMC and got a refund. I am tempted to get a Nuvi 310D once TMC is a little better behaved!
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to use Text-to-speech on the C510 / C530 Reply with quote

An unconfirmed report from Germany says that the V5.5.0 Firmware update prevents this from working...
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ach, started a new thread when I should have posted here.

Did this hack today, worked really well, so well done!

I downgraded to firmware 5.40 (they're up to 5.6 already) first, and that went ok too - just lost user data so sat it on the windowsill for 20 minutes to recover itself.

No hangs or crashes, not much deleting - just the unwanted voices and vehicles.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just done this after downgrading from Version 5.70. No problems at all. I actually used the hex editing approach PhilHornby mentioned - although I was a bit nervous it was really straightforward. I think there is more space on my C510 as I didn't have to remove the basemap.

Really good to have proper directions!

So many thanks to PhilHornby (and to Claudio Ehr) for a terrific bit of detective work.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh! - spoke too soon!! I think Garmin must have have put something in 5.70 to screw this up through firmware downgrades to 5.40 and lower and I can't see how to get round it. Basically the TTS file still functions as a temporary file (though I am sure I followed the simple instructions correctly) so over a power-off the TTS file is lost and the voice reverts. The 000.NEW file gets renamed the same as the ordinary TTS file so that there are two copies in the Voice folder - I tried making it read-only and the Daniel/Emily TTS voice just went dumb till I changed it back

I read in a thread here somewhere that someone had hit this problem before with 5.70 but got over it by going right back to older archived firmware versions, but I can't find the post now, and I don't know what they did. So I worked my way back to 2.40 and then forwards again to 5.40 trying it after each upgrade but still kept losing it.

So at the moment I'm stymied and not sure what to try next - if I think of a master stroke I shall update this, but if anyone else who knows more what they are doing has any ideas I'd be mooore than glad to hear!

The good news is that I never once hit any reset/hang-up problems with this method.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've done it now! if anyone is interested I can provide details (subject to memory lapses)
pcdoc69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this hack on a c510 I got for my son, but just before I had update to 5.70 and then I saw it wouldn't work above 5.50 so for some reason I reverted back to 5.20 and its working fine. In fact I only took it over to him today and sure enough the TTS file was there and gave the street names fine.

Hope that helps
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that pcdoc69. Glad you got yours going ok!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are any of you left out there who are still on the old maps but would like to update them... - I have just seen on GPSPsssion thread
"http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=81152&whichpage=8"

that someone has installed 2009 maps on his 530 successfully, after having to update the firmware to V6.40 to install them, then re-installing V5.40, then copying back his TTS voices.

So far then you can still install up-to-date maps.
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any posibility for this hack (or sth similar) to work on a nuvi 250?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsdinos - See this thread

Quote:
No - it won't work. The 205 is missing the s/w modules that implement the text to speech algorithms..... The navigation system 'talks' directly to the TTS speech module to implement TTS.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: