Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom go710 or 910????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom go710 or 910????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_RoadHog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Tomtom go710 or 910???? Reply with quote

Hi it's been a while since I posted on this forum!

I have a dilemma Confused

I have be a happy user of a Medion sat nav device for two years now, however the maps are now becoming a little out of date and no sign of Medion releasing updated maps, so I am considering it may be time to upgrade!

I have been looking at the tomtom go range, in particular the 710 and the 910, both of which are quite appealing. My question is what advantages does the 910 have over the 710?

I am unlikely to ever drive in the US so won't be needing the maps of there and I use a 60gb ipod in my car for music so wouldn't really need to store tunes on a tomtom. Are there any other advantages I should be aware of before making my decision?

Also I understand that there are issues with the mount on the tomtom. Given that I will be a heavy user of the device, is this still a problem?

Any help / advice is gratefully recieved!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 910 has Text to Speech (TTS) which some find very useful - if you select a computer generated voice (instead of a recorded one) the device will speak the next directions e.g. instead of just "Turn left", you'd get something like "Turn left, A453, High Street". It can also read SMS messages on receipt (dependent on phone bluetooth compatibility - check carefully, some people have found themselves not compatible for reading SMS).

Personally, I've chosen the 710 (having tried the 910) because I don't need US mapping or music and the TTS didn't much please me. I also prefer the 710 with its SD card rather than the HD on the 910 - simpler to backup and to use a card reader for downloads of speed cameras etc - the TomTom HOME software is not everybody's cup of tea! The 910 HD makes upgrading no problem for HD space, whereas the 710 would find another (larger) SD card useful (I use a 2Gb one).

The mounts are no longer a problem. You need to get them right, theres a double "click" to the twist suction and some people don't seem able to get to grips with it. I didn't myself at first, but now it's rock solid reliable.

I'm a whitevanman using mine at least 5 days a week, plus any private driving or work over weekends and my GO (two of them) is the best thing since sliced bread and the wheel.

Now wait to see what other people say. :D

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the 510 & 710 are IDENTICAL except for the supplied map.

510 has GB Plus major roads of Europe & 710 has full Europe.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be without the Text To Speech to be honest the extra cost is well justified for this part alone (each to there own, some like it others don't). Couple this to the onboard MP3 player and the device can act as a full media centre, pausing the music issuing the alert/ Nav voice commands before re-starting the music.

You could investigate your ipod though as TomTom offer a cable for connection to such a device, you could then use the 60GB device via any of the Go-x10 range. (Check for compatability first though).

As for a choice between 510 or 710 I have noticed quite a number of retailers are selling the 510 with free European mapping supplied on disk, not quite the same as the 710 but considerably cheaper - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a comparison chart HERE Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: