Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Driving in Canada
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving in Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Driving in Canada Reply with quote

I am taking my TT GO 700 with me to Canada, and I was wondering if there are any regulations concerning sat navs over there. I think I heard somewhere that it is illegal to attach anything to the windscreen with a sucker. If that is the case, how do I fix my GO in a hire car?

thanks
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Canada and I can confirm that there are no restrictive laws of this sort. Just be sure that the unit is placed so that it doesn't block your view of the road and you will be fine.
Noobiest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same in BC......no problems.......

Of course I havent been home in 3 years Wink
SpikeUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for that.
Raymate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I'm also going to Canada in a few weeks and I want to take my 510 with me, I have already got a new bigger SD card ready. But want to know what is the best way to buy the Canada map (need it for mainly Toronto and surrounding areas)

Should I buy it via the TomTom Home software or order a DVD from their website.

I like the idea of the DVD incase it goes wrong and I can restore but I'm worried it will not get to me in time in the post.

Cheers R
Map: "Canada-Map" v562.0
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you already have the next to most recent Canada map on your unit. It should still do you fine unless you have found it to be lacking.

I think you are now obliged to buy the entire seamless North American map if you wish to upgrade. At least this is all I can see on the TomTom website.
Raymate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

46jimbo wrote:
It looks like you already have the next to most recent Canada map on your unit. It should still do you fine unless you have found it to be lacking.

I think you are now obliged to buy the entire seamless North American map if you wish to upgrade. At least this is all I can see on the TomTom website.

Wasnt sure if I had a recent one or not, got it some time ago. Thanks for the reply
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest version being offered (to US and A/Canada residents) is v6.65, obviously a step up from the previous 5.62. But this is the first upgrade offered to owners since the summer of 2005 - a very long stretch.

(Buyers of 510s and 910s would have received an intermediate map upgrade with their units that was not made available to the rest of us).

As you obviously have used your older Canada map in the past, were you happy with it, or would the upgrade hopefully solve some serious problems? As with computer software, you don't have to rush out for the latest version if what you are using does the job!
Raymate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

46jimbo wrote:
The newest version being offered (to US and A/Canada residents) is v6.65, obviously a step up from the previous 5.62. But this is the first upgrade offered to owners since the summer of 2005 - a very long stretch.

(Buyers of 510s and 910s would have received an intermediate map upgrade with their units that was not made available to the rest of us).

As you obviously have used your older Canada map in the past, were you happy with it, or would the upgrade hopefully solve some serious problems? As with computer software, you don't have to rush out for the latest version if what you are using does the job!

Good advice, yes the map I have does work well. So until the day I find it's not giving me the up to date info then perhaps I shall update, I was just unsure how old my version was.

Cheers
zardoz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on exactly where in the Toronto area you are going. A lot of the the outlying areas are being actively developed and the older maps don't show the changes. Areas like Richmond Hill have lots of changes.

Certainly, I found the v6.65 maps to be much more up to date.

Z.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: