Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which is best Sat Nav software - Destinator or TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which is best Sat Nav software - Destinator or TomTom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluefroggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Which is best Sat Nav software - Destinator or TomTom Reply with quote

I am new to this and have been looking at the internet for the last fortnight or so at different PDS/GPS options.

I have come close to buying an Acer N35 with Destinator a couple of times, but keep stalling as a couple of people in my office have different ones. So which is better? Destinator or TomTom (which TomTom?!)?

I would mostly use the PDA for sat nav for getting from A to B. Not worried about camera, or MP3. Would also like full European maps too.

Oh, lastly, I would also like to pick up any emails sent to my home computer (hotmail/msn) while on the move. I believe this can be done via home broadband and WiFi?

Thanks for your help.
Coventrywolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only used Destinator because I borrowed my dad's a few times and got used to how it worked. I now have my own Destinator 6 on the Ipaq HX4700.
My advice would be to see if you can borrow both types from your work friends and see for yourself which one you like the best.

As for getting your emails on the move, you can get your hotmail anywhere you can get onto the internet.

Hope this is of use.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also consider a PDA style phone which can be obtained for free (depending upon network charges), I currently use the HTC Artemis P3300 which is basically the same device as the O2 Orbit, or minus the WiFi you can look at the T-Mobile MDA C-III.

They have inbuilt GPS, touch screen etc and once loaded with the navigation software its all you need.

As the device is a phone you can pick-up e-mail wherever you are (dependent upon mobile phone connectivity of course).

One big plus point is you will be less prone to leaving the device in the car, because its your phone, good anti-theft measure is to take it with you.

As for software, the devices listed above will run TomTom version 6, I would suggest you try the applications out on friends machines wherever possible before purchase, I would still say TomTom is by far the easiest to get used to (can't shout that to loud in this forum section though Laughing ) - Mike
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Mike on all of that. Orange keep throwing PDAs at me as I'm on a heavy business tariff with multiple users. I've had the M2000, M5000 and currently on the M3100 all upgraded for free. The M3100 (HTC TyTyn in a dress) is by far the best combination of phone and PDA. M5000 is just that bit too big although the VGA screen is beautiful with TomTom Navigator V6).

Don't forget that with all the above you need to cost in a decent cradle and GPS reciever but the reciever will move with you when you change devices.

Avoid the N35. I have one here which my other half was using. It was good value once but it's now out of date with no bluetooth, wi-fi, and feels clunky by today's standards. It's not a bargain anymore and you'll be spoiling the ship for a h'apeth of tar if you go with it. Avoid.

I have used Destinator and TomTom in equal measures. Both have their plusses but if you're not interested in fiddling with software to make it work then TomTom wins hands down. THe maps aren't as good but I'd like to think we're intelligent enough not to turn up a dirt track once every 6 months.

But I still revert to Destinator when needed. For example the current TomTom map of Europe doesn't have Greece in it and I work there from time to time so I juggle both.

If I had to say one way or the other, TomTom Navigator 6 is a well rounded program which gives you little pain. Destinator has it's plusses but you'll be spending more time in this forum! Little irratations like not asking me if I want to avoid toll roads each time I plan a route, the fiasco over camera alerts and so on tipped the scales for me. My weekends have been more productive since I switched :-)
Holux GPSslim
Ian1867
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Navigator wins Reply with quote

I used TomTom on my last phone, (Orange SPVM2000) and carried on using it as a standalone GPS when I upgraded my phone last.
However, when I got my nice shiny new Orange SPV M700 the other week, I decided to move the TomTom to it.
TomTom wanted me to remember where I put my receipt and send it to them before I could change the software to my new phone.

Sorry TomTom, I decided buying something different was easier, quicker and your loss!

When I change phones again, (less than a year normally,) I can change my Destinator at the same time.

I think Destinator (with the update patch..) is as good as TomTom in many respects, the gatso files went in easily and quickly and although less customisable than tomTom, works well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: