Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best GPS Driver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best GPS Driver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Best GPS Driver Reply with quote

Whats the best GPS driver to use at the moment? Whats the difference between 2.07 and 2.08? Its hard to find out now TomTom have played about with their support site.
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilko

I agree that TomTom have make their site harder to use, rather than easier.

The latest version of the driver is actually 2.09, and I have not found any problems with it. As a general rule, I will always run the latest version of any software or firmware (though I know that there are many other who go on the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle.)

Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2.09, 2.08, 2.07 and 2.06 all on PC.

But i've got no reason to use 2.09 as i dont use bluetooth GPS, i didnt realise it messed about with your bluetooth stack drivers etc before i installed it, i've done a hard reset and re-installed the HP 2210 Bluetooth update since then.

But i read somewhere that 2.08 causes more problems than its worth and is a little unstable, dont know if theres any truth to that?

Paul
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally managed to find this:

New in 2.08
GPS version 2.08 fixes an issue in Windows Mobile 2003 running on iPAQ's where the iPAQ cannot be switched on after switching it off whilst a Bluetooth connection is open with Bluetooth GPS receivers.
Please note that this FIX applies to all iPAQ models.

New in 2.07
GPS version 2.07 fixes an issue in Windows Mobile 2003 running on iPAQ's where the iPAQ cannot be switched on after switching it off whilst a bluetooth connection is open with Bluetooth GPS receivers. Please note that this FIX applies to all iPAQ models except iPAQ H1940.

New in 2.06
Improved SiRF support (includes fixes for incorrect SiRF binary speed/direction)
Support for SiRF Log recording and playback
Improved Log playback timing
Support for yet more GPS receiver models
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.09 concerns me because of the Bluetooth DLLs it installs. I've got it on my iPAQ, but without the TomTom Wizard component (so I never installed these Bluetooth DLLs).

More details about this and other issues with 2.09 - and how to install 2.09 without the TomTom Wizard, which causes various problems for various people, can be found in this thread.

In addition, both 2.08 and 2.09 interfere with the Bluetooth stack on various Pocket PCs, such that they block the use of a Bluetooth GPS in applications other than TomTom ones (we could term this the "Bluetooth blocking issue"). The answer to this is to use the Remove Programs tool in the Settings screen (on the System tab) to uninstall "TomTom ~ GPS".

Uninstalling this once, and accepting the mandatory soft reset afterwards, doesn't actually remove TomTom GPS - it takes a second uninstall to remove the program. However, it seems to remove the interference from the Bluetooth stack (which is possibly something to do with the crashing fix reported in 2.08, but doesn't seem necessary in most cases).

There isn't much difference between 2.07 and 2.09 save for various Bluetooth changes. 2.07 is certainly recommended, as earlier versions have bugs (particularly in SiRF binary mode). 2.08 or 2.09 are OK, so long as you understand the Bluetooth blocking issue and how to work round it if it becomes troublesome.

With 2.09, I would seriously consider using the work-round I've already mentioned to install without TomTom Wizard.

To complete the change list Wilko has already posted:

New in 2.09:
1) Support for new devices - O2 XDA-2, T-Mobile MDA-II, Qtek2020, Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox 610, Mitac Mio DigiWalker, HP iPAQ 4150
2) iPAQ Bluetooth Browser only appears once.
3) No hard reset required for iPAQ 1940.
4) Plug and play bluetooth bonding for iPAQ's running Windows Mobile 2003.

As I've posted in the thread about 2.09, I wonder now if the Bluetooth DLLs are to do with item 1 from that list.

David
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick with 2.07 for now then, until they bring something out thats radically different and improved. 2.06 came on my TomTom CD. I am using a Holux GM270 in SiRF 57600 mode at moment, it all seems to work quite well together. I noticed 2.08 and 2.09 both seemed to make quite a few changes to the way it ran like to add TomTom GPS to the Today menu on my 2210 too.

If i ever decide to get my Rikaline X7 back in use I will give 2.09 another try.

I think you may be right about the Bluetooth DLL change, makes sense to have to update them if its to be universal for all types of PDA.

Paul
Creation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know where I can download 2.07 cuz you guys keep saying it's the most stable. I've looked thru the tomtom website but could only find 2.09. A link would be appreciated :P

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: