Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Redspeed or Monitron?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Redspeed or Monitron?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
this thread has gone incredibly off-topic...

so here's a dog in a dress - if it could talk it'd be saying 'get back on topic'

Well as it is wearing a dress I assume it is a lady dog, so she would be more likely to be saying "does my tail look big in this?" 8O

To old to die young.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
Well as it is wearing a dress I assume it is a lady dog, so she would be more likely to be saying "does my tail look big in this?" 8O

Why do you always jump to conclusions like thsi? I don't think the dog said that at all. You are just putting words into her mouth now and twisting what she actually did say to fit your agenda.

:P

(Ahem. Back on topic)

The new monitrons/redspeed cameras I have seen (including new installations) all have the white lines on the road.

I suppose the camera partnership could superimpose the lines on the photo, but if they could do that then why don't they do it for all the cameras and forget about the lines? Confused
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
The new monitrons/redspeed cameras I have seen (including new installations) all have the white lines on the road.

I suppose the camera partnership could superimpose the lines on the photo, but if they could do that then why don't they do it for all the cameras and forget about the lines? Confused

The Monitron/Redspeeds I've seen (at redlights) have never had road markings. If camera partnership can superimpose lines, surely they can also superimpose my registration number. This is getting scary. Forget everything I've ever said - I drive a black van and travel only between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I was driving on a road (well duh) and I was stopped by a motorcycle plod, he claimed I was doing 39mph in a 30mph zone.

Obviously I claimed different! He asked me to accompany him back to his bike so he could show me the readout etc.

He showed me a set of figures on a gadget which showed my alleged speed and distance etc.

Ok, fair cop, I must have had a vary rare lapse.

Then I thought 'hang on a minute' I asked him what happens now with his gadget, when, where and how is it reset for the next speeding motorist?

He said he resets it when I leave him!!!

Now excusssse me, but couldn't he then in that case just get the first speeder and NOT reset it and just make his daily qouta on just one reading with several motorists?

I went to the police station to protest and was told in no uncertain terms if I dispute the speeding allegation 'I would regret it'

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:

Delete 'vary' insert 'very' Wink

To old to die young.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
He showed me a set of figures on a gadget which showed my alleged speed and distance etc.

Then I thought 'hang on a minute' I asked him what happens now with his gadget, when, where and how is it reset for the next speeding motorist?

Now excusssse me, but couldn't he then in that case just get the first speeder and NOT reset it and just make his daily qouta on just one reading with several motorists?

I went to the police station to protest and was told in no uncertain terms if I dispute the speeding allegation 'I would regret it'

Well, excuse me, but I thought these gadgets showed your registration plate, or a picture (of a motorbike) - you mean it's down to the nice man writing down your details? If you didn't stop and sneaked off at the very first opportunity into the woods and he couldn't catch you, it would be down to his accuracy in writing down your details? Scary Evil or Very Mad
I demand a download of the unverified number plate details file.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
BMW330 wrote:
MaFt wrote:

so here's a dog in a dress - if it could talk it'd be saying 'get back on topic'

MaFt

Is that yours, MaFt?

The dog or the dress? Wink
Both, or would that be too much information. 8O

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Well, excuse me, but I thought these gadgets showed your registration plate, or a picture (of a motorbike)

The only thing on his gadget was a speed and distance measurements, which is very dodgy in my honest opinion.

But not as dodgy as being told I would live to regret it if I kicked up a fuss!!!(in so many words)

To old to die young.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
The only thing on his gadget was a speed and distance measurements, which is very dodgy in my honest opinion.

Do a Google on "VASCAR" and you can read all about these gadgets.

They are type approved for speed measurement and widely used, so read 'em and weep (or grovel). Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
BMW330 wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Is that yours, MaFt?

The dog or the dress? Wink

OI!!! we'll have less of that!!!!
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i was under the impression that once the lights are on red it switches to 'redlight' mode and once lights go up to amber/green then it is in 'speed camera' mode?

or are my assumptions just a figment of my imagination? (could be as i've never come across a redspeed redlight & speed camera before)

MaFt

I've only just noticed the addition to redspeed cameras to the database, and it looks as if they've been included since May. Are there are seperate ov2, bmp, ogg file associated with these new cameras?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor.dowle wrote:
I've only just noticed the addition to redspeed cameras to the database, and it looks as if they've been included since May. Are there are seperate ov2, bmp, ogg file associated with these new cameras?
From what I've seen, they are included in the fixed cameras, along with Gatso, Monitron and Truvelo. The existing OGG file covers them, but only as "Gatso ahead, Speed limit xx mph" (that whole category is really "Fixed Camera ahead" now). Personally, I'd have preferred them kept in the Redlight section (because I once got 3 Orangelight points), but others prefer them in the speed camera section. You pays yer money and takes yer choice! Laughing

trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

From what I've seen, they are included in the fixed cameras, along with Gatso, Monitron and Truvelo. The existing OGG file covers them, but only as "Gatso ahead, Speed limit xx mph" (that whole category is really "Fixed Camera ahead" now). Personally, I'd have preferred them kept in the Redlight section (because I once got 3 Orangelight points), but others prefer them in the speed camera section. You pays yer money and takes yer choice! :lol:

Yes. OK thanks for that.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:

This gadget would be VASCAR (Visual Average Speed Computer And Recorder). Each check made on the device is time and date stamped, so NO he couldn't get his quota on one check.

It's a great bit of kit and it is the fairest to the motorist, as it calculates an average speed over a measured distance. It does not record a registration plate as it does not have a camera. It's essentially a glorified stopwatch.

The fact that it showed you doing an average speed of 39 in a 30 zone, would mean during the check you were probably doing more than 40. Tut Tut Classy..

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The fact that it showed you doing an average speed of 39 in a 30 zone, would mean during the check you were probably doing more than 40. Tut Tut Classy..

Oh dear, over 40 in a 30!
I take it the brakes were faulty. Laughing
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: