Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ash10's Voice Utility Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ash10's Voice Utility Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_big_1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Is still a case of that the "Bongs" for approaching speed camers or over speed are not in the VPM files but in the units firmware etc?
jeffthegeek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance of a mac version of this coming out?
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Voice Utils limited alerts Reply with quote

TekPete wrote:
Another thing, this Ash person doesn't answer most of the questions sent to him, like how much money does he want for a full-working version as asked by atilioc of Venezuela. Would $10 be enough to get a full working version?

Maybe I just reply to people directly using PM, rather than clog up this message thread... Rolling Eyes

There is no minimum donation as such, but as a rule of thumb I like to have enough left after Paypal's cut for a beer or two... Wink

And just to clarify:

The free version of Voice Utility allows you to change as many (or as few) of the sound samples as you wish - however, after you have changed fifty samples, the quality of subsequently changed samples will be reduced slightly (although this will not stop your voice file from working).

You can remove this limitation by making a small donation, see above.

I hope that's clear enough! Very Happy
TekPete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ash,

If you sent a PM, the casual reader won't know the answer to a particular question, the_big_1 asked if the "Bongs" were in the firmware. I would be interested myself. I've noticed that the vpm file contains some files named bip.wav, bing.wav, bong.wav, are these the ones he's talking about or are the camera alerts in the firmware?

So is my version from 2005 limited or will I be directed to a License Server once I start joining voices?

Anyway sorry your hardwork was abused by certain people causing you to take the actions you did. Hopefully that's all sorted now.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TekPete wrote:
If you sent a PM, the casual reader won't know the answer to a particular question, the_big_1 asked if the "Bongs" were in the firmware. I would be interested myself. I've noticed that the vpm file contains some files named bip.wav, bing.wav, bong.wav, are these the ones he's talking about or are the camera alerts in the firmware?

Although the various "alert" sounds are all contained within the VPM file, some models of Nuvi extract these sounds from their firmware instead.

There are so many Nuvi models and different firmware releases in circulation, it's impossible for me to say exactly - but the rule-of-thumb seems to be that the higher-end models with more recent firmware use these embedded alert sounds. The simplest way to check is just to try tweaking the VPM file, and see if it has the desired effect.

Don't forget that if it's camera warnings you want to change, you can use the custom POI category sounds instead (ie: have an appropriately named mp3 or wav file in your POI directory).

TekPete wrote:
So is my version from 2005 limited or will I be directed to a License Server once I start joining voices?

I'd be very surprised if you had a version from 2005 - the earliest source code I've got is from mid-2006! Laughing

The "license server" probably isn't what you think it is, and it's certainly nothing sinister - it's basically a quick online check to see if you're running the lastest version, that's all. It's much easier to support the software if I can be sure that everybody is running the latest version!
the_big_1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My device is a Kenwood DNX5220BT, how do I do the custom sound change for cameras or do I have to try edit the VPM?
TekPete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ash,

There is a file called instructions txt. I have copied and pasted the first line of it:

Garmin i3 Split/Join Voice Utilities - (C) 2005 Ash10, c/o PocketGpsWorld.com

Perhaps it was late 2005? I've just run the SplitVoice utility and it is V 1.0.0.

I presume that the software is designed for Garmin models and not Kenwood models, am I right?

My model is a Streetpilot i3 incidentally, so the wavs I obtain are "Ahead", "And", "Approaching" etc. Although some sentences have been cut, ie the U-turn command, but "At end of the road" isn't.

I wasn't suggesting there was anything sinister about the server, I was referring to a comment left by another reader.

Regards:
-Pete
TekPete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ash,

Me again, I'm just wondering what would happen if I ran the JoinVoice utility on a PC not connected to the Internet (this is the computer that has the Micro SD card reader/writer) will it prevent me from proceeding once it detects I'm not on the net?

-Pete
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TekPete wrote:
Perhaps it was late 2005? I've just run the SplitVoice utility and it is V 1.0.0.

Ah, that makes more sense - you've got the really old (and buggy!) command line utilities...

I would very strongly recommend that you try Voice Utility instead - not only is it more stable, it has the graphical user-interface, works with different VPM files (not just British_English), and does the audio sample rate/format conversion for you.

TekPete wrote:
I presume that the software is designed for Garmin models and not Kenwood models, am I right?

Correct - I have no idea about Kenwood models (or their relationship to Garmin), sorry.

TekPete wrote:
Me again, I'm just wondering what would happen if I ran the JoinVoice utility on a PC not connected to the Internet

The command line utilities don't perform the online version check, although you will quite likely run into other problems - again, I'd strongly recommend that you look at Voice Utility instead!
the_big_1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kenwood looks like it is running Garmin PC as it is based on Windows CE. It has a map file then a folder for the voices which has the VPM files in and I another type I can not remmember the format but it has the exact same name as the VPM file.
TekPete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ash,

Thanks for your replies, they are well understood. I shall get the latest version asap, I'm going to be tied up with a few other things for the next few days. I'll get some wavs sorted out.

I'd only used the SplitVoice utility and it seemed fine, what I was saying was that the phrase "When possible, make a U-turn". Is broken into parts, using a wave editor they can be re-assembled. I think you are saying it is unbroken on the latest version.

As far as Kenwood is concerned I'd be inclined to run the SplitVoice utility and see what happens, can't hurt. As everyone points out it's best to make a back-up copy first.

Happy New Year to all. I'll be in touch soon.
-Pete
Ballroomblitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash....any luck figuring out how to change voice names?

It would be value added to change/alter a voice file name in order to store two or three customized voices on our GPS units.

I have a couple of complete voice files which are only loaded through American English on my Nuvi 250W, that means when my new voice is on i lose my default voice. It would be extremely beneficial to load up the new American English voice...then change the name to something different (new voice 1) and then to save back to the nuvi. I could then put the original American English file back and then in my Nuvi i can select from all my voices.

Thoughts....
m0nbr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here for the voice names.... Have just bought 2 voices from nav-voices, ( i hope this isnt the lot you had probs with Ash, sorry if it is) and after getting them i find that they are both named English British vpm. The nightmare one and Elfred one have individual names. As i am a truck driver away for a week or more at a time I do like to change them round. Also can you imagine being stuck with Ozzy Osborne and my mother getting in the car?

So could it be easy enough to change the names. Tried the obvious rename file but didnt really expect it to work. Very Happy
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice name for non-TTS voice is NOT stored in the VPM file. There is only a voice language ID that is a look-up for the name elsewhere in the GPS software.
TekPete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Voice directory Reply with quote

It was the original card that I found the "Voice" directory on. Since then I bought a new card and installed the 2008 update, I've just viewed the new 2Gb card and the "Voice" directory isn't there, I should point out that I loaded all the Europe maps so perhaps there is only room for one voice.

I wonder if it's worth the effort to create a replacement voice, will I be able to install it? I suppose I could create the missing voice directory and put the new voice in there, but will it work?

Clearly the full Europe maps take up a lot of space and if I select a destination such as Tromsų, I get a "Not enough memory" message. I've been told by Garmin Tech Support that 2Gb is the largest card the i3 can take, so clearly I'll have to decide which maps I really need.

Can anyone confirm any of this? I'm not sure I can take what Garmin say at face value, they have given me inaccurate information in the past.

Regards:
-Pete

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: