Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ash10's Voice Utility Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ash10's Voice Utility Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs to be far more clear cut than that because if you purchase Adobe Acrobat and create PDF files to sell Adobe would not be entitled to anything.
The creator would have the copyright not the software owner in that case. I am with Ash on this but it needs to be more clear.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
It needs to be far more clear cut than that because if you purchase Adobe Acrobat and create PDF files to sell Adobe would not be entitled to anything.

Salient word there "purchase"... which tends to go right back to the license agreement distributed with the software (in the assumption there is one).

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
The creator would have the copyright not the software owner in that case. I am with Ash on this but it needs to be more clear.

Well that rather depends on any software license agreement distributed with it.

Most freeware I've encountered is done so on the basis that it's not used for commercial endeavours or to make a profit.

Your analogy with Acrobat is flawed, because you've (hopefully) purchased the product, and in doing so, accepted a license agreement (much in the same was as with something like Microsoft Word).

If you download freeware, with any license agreement that the software isn't used for commercial purposes, then I'd imagine that aspect is clear.

Not sure on the whole needing to prove that was clear to the user, or be that tight on the definition of "commercial", mind.
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I am trying to make is you cannot own both the copyright of the software and the copyright of the product created with the software, it does not work like that otherwise every time a make a recording I would have to pay Adobe Audition a fee which would not be acceptable.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
The point I am trying to make is you cannot own both the copyright of the software and the copyright of the product created with the software, it does not work like that

Correct - but this is a licencing issue, not a copyright one... Wink
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that's cool well good luck with it and keep in touch, love your work.

Stuart
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
The point I am trying to make is you cannot own both the copyright of the software and the copyright of the product created with the software,

I don't see anybody here suggesting such a thing.

I've not seen anybody trying to call dibs on anything created as a result of using the voice utility software.

Merely that like with many freeware apps that are distributed freely, for the good of the community, via the goodwill, blood, sweat and tears of the author, that many / most are distributed with a license such that by downloading and using the software, you accept the terms and conditions of the license. And that the license normally contains condition that the software is not used for profit or commercial gain.

Which boils down to the principle that the author developed and released such software out of altruism, and such altruism doesn't deserve to be abused by profiteering, exploitative people, who seem more than willing to take software developed and distributed freely - for the good of the community - and abuse it for their own ends.

And as a result, quite often end up causing the author(s) to then yank their software - quite rightly, as it's being abused - and then spoil it for the community it was intended. So many lose out, because of the self-interests of the greedy few abusers.

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
it does not work like that otherwise every time a make a recording I would have to pay Adobe Audition a fee which would not be acceptable.

Which is what happens when you conflate copyright with license conditions, and conditions of use.

It's not the end product, it's the use of the software that's being called.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Ash10 knows what he's doing!

It seems to me that if someone produces databases using Voice Utility which they then sell commercially it is, potentially or actually, achieving a commercial gain from the use of copyright-restricted software, in contravention of the licence terms. I would have thought they should properly produce their own independent software for this purpose.

It seems similar to the PGPSW database. We effectively use their conversion program to download the camera files. But the data is restricted to personal use - PGPSW explicitly forbid the sale/distribution of any downloaded databases unless they agree to it.

Or, if an employee produces material in official time using officially licensed resources, there may well be restrictions on what he can do with it.

But it is a long time since I tried to come to grips with copyright and patenting issues, and I know that these things are all dependent upon the specific wording of the individual laws, rather than being always logical or consistent.

I hope Ash sorts the b*gg**s out - as said, he's done a lot of work for us all only asking for voluntary subs in some instances. But unfortunately there have always been plenty of people/organisations who are only concerned with creating/cornering a market on the backs of others!
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice Utility is back!

Version 1.1 is now available - download link as before.

Apart from a few minor bug-fixes, there is now a limit on how many sound samples you can change in each voice file.

This should give users enough freedom to play around with the voice file (add silly camera warnings, remove the annoying "recalculating" etc.) but not to create entire replacement voices.

Currently the limit is set to around 20 changes (which will vary slightly between devices) - if you genuinely need more, drop me a line (and maybe send some beer money... Wink)

Enjoy! Cool

PS: A timely reminder that commercial use is prohibited without permission. If you require a commercial licence, please contact me to discuss...
peteburrito
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: You are my hero Reply with quote

Can I trade you beer money for the full complement? I've already recorded 116 wav files of myself with a South Boston accent, and I'd love to hear it in action...
zendo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cardiff_gareth wrote:
Is it possible for more experianced users to compile a list of voices they have made so that the less experianced users, like myself could then copy or pay for then so we can just put in in the voices file in the Garmin ?

Just an idea as I don't think I'm going to be capable to make these fiels etc ??

we are in the proces of putting together some of the ones we have done. will let you know when we have it done (expecting it to be done around the 20th of the month when i get back to town)
RonNoco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HySeeker wrote:
Quote:
ust a thought but can someone change "recalculating" to a Homer Simpson "D'oh!"

I've no idea where to get a "D'oh" from!

Try here for Star Trek http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Show/3961/trek.html
or here fo D'oh and other cartoon sounds eg "HaHa" from Nelson
http://simplythebest.net/sounds/WAV/cartoon_wavs_2.html

I have downloaded them and replaced some of the vpm files, but not got it working yet.
Has anyone posted a successful s"silent" US-EN navigation file? I cannot find one.

Hi, thanks for the link to the "doh" file Smile if you're still wondering how to make it work or any other newbies like me...here's how i got it to work (2nd attempt)

After you use Ash's great little program you now have all the voice commands as a little audio files, so if you right click on no.77(british lady garminxt)properties and then click on summary you can see the specific audio details, so all i did was open the "doh" sound clip in windows sound recorder(basic but works) and saved it in the same format as no.77(ima adpcm 22htz 4 bit) and then renamed it to "77" copied and pasted it to where all the others were (delete or overwrite original 77) and then used Ash's program to "join" then back as a VPM, swapped it into the garmin voice folder on my phone and Bob's your uncle Smile
HTH

btw ...hello all and thanks very much ASH10 for that great little program and for sharing ;)
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonNoco wrote:
so all i did was open the "doh" sound clip in windows sound recorder(basic but works) and saved it in the same format as no.77(ima adpcm 22htz 4 bit)

You don't even need to save it in the correct format - Voice Utility will automatically convert it for you! Wink
gialloblu2b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'd like to unlock the program just to create one funny voice set, for me and a family member.
How could I do?
Pieter66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son of 5 years old had spoken all the voice files. But unfortunately, only 20 voices can be changed Sad .
How can I use all the files of my son?

Can I obtain somewhere a full version, or version 1.0?

Thanks for helping Pieter66
cardiff_gareth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zendo wrote:
cardiff_gareth wrote:
Is it possible for more experianced users to compile a list of voices they have made so that the less experianced users, like myself could then copy or pay for then so we can just put in in the voices file in the Garmin ?

Just an idea as I don't think I'm going to be capable to make these fiels etc ??

we are in the proces of putting together some of the ones we have done. will let you know when we have it done (expecting it to be done around the 20th of the month when i get back to town)

Sweet, I'll keep a look out Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: