Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps for Walking, Skiing, Cycling
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps for Walking, Skiing, Cycling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulH66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Maps for Walking, Skiing, Cycling Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm a happy C510E user for directing me to where I need to go by car.

I am now looking at whether I can use the C510E for keeping me from getting lost around the Lake District amongst other uses that involve me propelling myself rather than using my car for (very) occasional use.

So, basically I am looking for some software that I can install on the C510E, that will locate where I am on a map of my choice that I have obtained that could be a satellite image, an Ordnance Survey map, something I have hand drawn and scanned in and can then calibrate myself, (all subject to copyright).

The common name for this type of software is topographical software and basically either comes without any maps (cheaper) or with maps (Ordnance Survey=expensive).

My self-propelled excursions will be fairly limited to certain areas of the UK or Europe and I will be willing to pay a reasonable price for detailed maps or to scan a non-copyright 2D image map and then calibrate it (if I can work out that bit - apparently you get the GPS coordinates of the four corners of the scanned image and thats it !).

All I need is the software that is known to work in WinCE 4.2 Core and specifically if anyone has done this on the Mio C510E. I don't require the maps (this seems to be the biggest expense to a GPS product).

Of course, working out how to load the software onto the Mio C510E is another hurdle that I do not know whether it is possible or not ....

This is all technically possible and there has been some attempts at it but they all look a bit dormant(-ish) to me.

Ozi Explorer looked promising until I saw the last WinCE update was in 2005 which was before the Mio C510E was born and I have seen no evidence of anyone having managed to use any kind of topographical software on the Mio C510e.

If anyone has done anything like this or tried any of the software on the link above, I would be interested to hear your experiences.

This is the Ozi Explorer review by Pocket GPS World ...
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/oziexplorerce.php

Thanks
Paul

PS: Link to from topographical software : http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/item-menu.php?idSubCat=25
repsaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like an interesting project, but remember that the C510 only has a battery life of 1-2 hours depending on how bright you set the screen. You could find that it runs down just when you need it to find your way home!
PaulH66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right - that is the second problem if I do find some suitable software.
I would preferably have the screen off most of the time (if possible, or at its lowest brightness) and only really need to refer to it occasionally and for short periods of time.

The other thing is whether to carry a backup battery for it. Must be possible to plug in a lead connected to a battery, but I'd have to look into that one.
femike99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my C310X with a goal of adding "off road" capability to it in lieu of purchasing other, more expensive units.

I've seen a posting from Moonbear on GPSPassion that he's installed OZI on his C310x. He provides instructions there.

I plan on attempting the same this weekend.

But, I continue to look for others who have done the same (or via other methods), but have not found any. I've found another whose put OZI on a Packard Bell (another CE) device, but those instructions do not fit the file structure of the Mio.
PaulH66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want to use your Mio for tracking yourself across terrain then there is information on how to get GPS Map working on Mio C510E here ...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=24475
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulH66 wrote:
The other thing is whether to carry a backup battery for it. Must be possible to plug in a lead connected to a battery, but I'd have to look into that one.
Paul, you can find a few ideas on the pages linked below, use the car charger leads to feed the PNA.
Read This
For MikeB's fitment of ipaq to cycle, somw battery related information.
Read This
For one from Lutz
Read This
It contains a parts list to build your own external battery box capable of powering the GPS and PDA. Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: