Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS software for ETEN M700
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS software for ETEN M700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickmon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: GPS software for ETEN M700 Reply with quote

I am thinking of buying the ETEN M700 PDA which has an integretd GPS reciever. However it has a MICRO SD slot only. Does anyone know which GPS software could be used with it? Most software seems either to be supplied on an SD card or a Mini SD card, but for micro SD? (Even better if someone can tell me something other than TOMTOM!)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to purchase the memory card separately and copy the appcation to the card, I had the same problem with the HTC Artemis, although my purchase came with a 512 card thrown in, talk to the vendor and see if they will throw in a card - they aren't expensive these days - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any?

You should be able to copy most products to it. As far as I am aware only IGo locks the distribution media to the product. Look for products where you can download a distribution kit - save you buying an SD / CF card you may not be able to use.

I've not come across microSD in real life yet - but I notice that it is described as 'semi-removeable'! Does that mean it only comes halfway out of the device? Laughing

BTW - there's nothing wrong with TomTom - you don't get to being market-leader by selling rubbish.
nickmon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Almost any?

You should be able to copy most products to it. As far as I am aware only IGo locks the distribution media to the product. Look for products where you can download a distribution kit - save you buying an SD / CF card you may not be able to use.

I've not come across microSD in real life yet - but I notice that it is described as 'semi-removeable'! Does that mean it only comes halfway out of the device? Laughing

BTW - there's nothing wrong with TomTom - you don't get to being market-leader by selling rubbish.

Thanks for your advice on the GPS software, much appreciated.

Regarding TomTom, you may have had good experiences with it, but I have used it for a few years and I can rely on TomTom to let me down with regularity. Where can I start?! I'd say about one-third of post codes I put in cannot be found. The software keeps wiping my favourite places list. The GPS receiving can be very slow at picking up the signal, and odes not always remain. When I purchased the TomTom GO 910 I had to send it back twice becuase on my first test there was dead pixel in the middle of the screen, when I took it for a trial run past my nearest speed camera it wasnt there on the 910, instead it picked up another camera further up the raod that doesnt exist and at the wrong speed, when I had the unit replaced it kept switching itself off during journeys, it wouldnt recharge properly in the car, the TomTom Home software is rubbish and very user un-friendly...I could go on, but I have had enough of TomTom and I have used several of their products by now.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you have had a run of bad luck with TT. I have used the PDA version from its original launch and am now on V6 with latest maps without any significant issues - although I didn't always agree with their removal of features from some of the 'upgrades' Smile

Whatever you choose to go for I would heartily recommend using the excellent speed camera database from this site. It's probably cheaper than manufacturer's supplied info and (as you have found out) it is probably a lot more accurate due to the large number of contributors to the information.
nickmon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Seems like you have had a run of bad luck with TT. I have used the PDA version from its original launch and am now on V6 with latest maps without any significant issues - although I didn't always agree with their removal of features from some of the 'upgrades' Smile

Whatever you choose to go for I would heartily recommend using the excellent speed camera database from this site. It's probably cheaper than manufacturer's supplied info and (as you have found out) it is probably a lot more accurate due to the large number of contributors to the information.

Regarding the speed camera database from this site; how easy is it to download and use the speed camera database from this site? If I get GOS software that already has speed cameras on it can I overlay it with the database from this site?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very easy to download - it's usually a ZIP file - you just need to ensure you download the correct one for your GPS system.

You could run both manufacturers and PocketGPS SC at the same time - but probably little point. Most manufacturers include speed cameras to entice you to update - which will not be free.

For just £2 you can get one months membership and download the latest speed camera database (plus access to members only forums..)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: