Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - EasyGPS with c510 probs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

EasyGPS with c510 probs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m4xwl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: EasyGPS with c510 probs Reply with quote

Can anyone help with how to connect EasyGPS to Garmin c510? Instructions in EasyGPS say to switch off NMEA output and set baud rate to 4800, and consult GPS manual on how to do this. My manual makes no mention of either NMEA or baud rate. Tried swithing off GPS receiver but no joy.
Crying or Very sad

I'm trying to be able to save Favorites but cant get it to happen. Cant find any mention on forums of easy gps with c510, just i3.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: EasyGPS with c510 probs Reply with quote

m4xwl wrote:
..EasyGPS say to switch off NMEA output and set baud rate to 4800, and consult GPS manual on how to do this. My manual makes no mention of either NMEA or baud rate.

EasyGPS only seems to support the C510 in Mass Storage Mode - ie you just save the resulting .GPX file directly to the C510,( or your hard drive and then manually copy it down). The references to baud rates etc refer to serial connections that were commonly used to connect the earlier generations of GPS units.

The C510 *does* have an equivalent USB connection mode, that some software - POILoader, NRouter, Mapsource etc - understands, but I can't get EasyGPS to use it. See http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=51694 for details of how to enable that - the main benefit is that you don't then need to keep disconnecting /reconnecting the Sat Nav after each download attempt - it handles it itself...very useful when you're experimenting.

Quote:
I'm trying to be able to save Favorites but cant get it to happen.

I've found that Easygps and Mapsource etc are quite restrictive when it comes to creating favourites - they give you access to things that don't work (hundreds of waypoint symbols that the C510 can't display) and don't give you access to things that do work (like address fields).

You can use the \Garmin\GPX\Current.gpx as the basis of a gpx file you edit yourself, but being xml, it's not really intended for human eyes. The minute you try saving it back directly, you'll find that the C510 silently edits out anything it doesn't like the look of (things like proximity, description, comment etc). If you try to load GPX files with POILoader, you'll find that Garmin seem to have employed a 9 year old to code its GPX support Sad - it balks at whitespace!?!, tags in a different order to what *it* expected etc etc. Of course, you won't get any error more meaningful than "The file xxxx is invalid, Do you want to continue?"

Exclamation However ....

Not wanted to be beaten by a small plastic box Smile I've embarked on writing a Visual Basic program that attempts to achieve harmony between said plastic box , Poiloader and human. It's not finished yet - but I'm getting there!

Actually, I'd appreciate some feedback, from fellow C510 owners..

The way I see it working is:-

Use the built-in Save to 'Favourites' on the C510 itself. This saves some rudimentary details (but including the all important coordinates) to Current.gpx.

Then using my unfinished wonder-program, I will add in the rest of the stuff - full address, all three phone numbers, email, long description and photo(!) and send it back using POIloader.

It will then end up in the 'Custom POI' section, where it can't be accidentally deleted, and all the features (including speed and proximity alerts) if so desired will work.

Does that sound like the best thing since sliced bread - or a complete waste of space? Question
hodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good to me!

I'd definately give it a whirl for sure

Matt
m4xwl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: EasyGPS with c510 probs Reply with quote

You clearly have a good grip of what makes the plastic box tick Phil. Like you're idea for converting favourites to custom POI's.

My original need was simply to be able to save favourites back to my PC that I've saved on the road. Hadnt appeciated this was simply the "current.gpx" file. (I'm not classed as a beginner for nothing! Exclamation )

So if I just copy current.gpx then if the plastic box loses it I can easily replace it! Ta for your help.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodgy wrote:
I'd definately give it a whirl for sure

hodgy, m4xwl - see your private mail - I have a testing job for you Exclamation
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
Does that sound like the best thing since sliced bread - or a complete waste of space?

Um - the response was deafening Sad

If anyone is interested - send me a private mail, as I have a Beta test version of this thing ready to roll.
Landy_gord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: C550 vs EasyGPS Reply with quote

Hi all.

I think the C550 has the same/similar issues with EasyGPS... The major issue seems to be that the software only wants to connect to the c550 via an SD card -even if there is no SD card present! I can connect using Garmin's own POI loader -but cant download saved favourites from the unit.

Given that there appears to be no way directly of getting the unit to display a Lat. and Long. for recording recording handraulically (on paper!) I need some advice on how to solve this... I'm working on a specific POI database for off-roaders!

Any thoughts, advise, software, spells, potions, or whatever welcome!

Cheers

Gord.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: C550 vs EasyGPS Reply with quote

Landy_gord wrote:
Any thoughts, advise, software, spells, potions, or whatever welcome!

Blimey - how did you conjure this thread out of the ether? Very Happy

My little 'beta' VB program turned into a real product in the intervening 10 months!

See: GeePeeEx.googlepages.com for details.
Landy_gord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Conjuring trick! Reply with quote

Phil:

It's simple really -i just searched on easyGPS and Streetpilot, and up she pops...

So, can I just clarify, can I, using your software, extricate my Favourites from the unit to the PC for editing?

Cheers

Gord
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Conjuring trick! Reply with quote

Landy_gord wrote:
So, can I just clarify, can I, using your software, extricate my Favourites from the unit to the PC for editing?

Yes, you can. On the unit, \Garmin\gpx\Current.gpx contains a backup copy of your current Favourites. You can open this file and re-save it elsewhere, or use the Merge function to 'include' it in an existing file.
GeePeeEx Editor doesn't currently write Favourites directly (I think the Garmin firmware doesn't like my Encoding=Windows-1252) - but its gpx files can be opened by Mapsource and written back.

However, Favourites are not really the raison-d'aitre of the program. Custom POIs, rather than Favourites are what it's all about. Have you downloaded the sample from my website? That should give an idea of what is possible.

This one http://geepeeex.googlepages.com/StonePagesC5xx.gpi is pre-formatted for the C5xx. That's actually an important point - to get the best out of custom POIs, different formatting tricks are necessary for the different Garmin units.
Landy_gord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I understood that its about creating POI's -but my major problem is getting the data for the POI's in the first place. What I was hoping to do was use the function which stores favourites on MY unit as a way of gathering the raw position data for POI's to crate a CSV to share with others -specifically, I'm into offroading, and want to create a POI file with all the legal places to go on it as a custom POI, together with a review of each lane -as quite often they look little more than a farm gate or whatever, and are directly off main roads. which makes slowing down to look for them dangerous.

So, in summary, I need to download your little creation!

CHeers

Gord
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landy_gord wrote:
What I was hoping to do was use the function which stores favourites on MY unit as a way of gathering the raw position data,
Yes - that will work. You can also import locations from Google Earth - and use G.E. to review the ones you've created. You can also view them with the in-built Google Maps interface and give them a bit of a 'tweak'. I doubt that the Geocoding function will be overly useful for this application though!

He also wrote:
I'm into offroading, and want to create a POI file with all the legal places to go on it as a custom POI, together with a review of each lane -as quite often they look little more than a farm gate or whatever, and are directly off main roads. which makes slowing down to look for them dangerous.

I've got a Freelander Very Happy It's not been off-road much ... last time it did, the female occupants all burst into tears!! ... Ok, so it was January, it was snowing, we were 1800' up in the Pennines, there was no mobile phone reception and we were stuck. But I got us out in the end Very Happy
larkshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: c510 Reply with quote

Phil, read your posting. It seems th logical way to go, count me in for testing.

Now if only we could do routes with multiple stops, and have an optimise junction?

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: