Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Streetpilot i3 external antenna position - the Maplins one.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Streetpilot i3 external antenna position - the Maplins one.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philai3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the angles of the satellites with respect to the horizon constant i.e. in geosynchronous orbit? If not, the angles will be changing all the time - and it woudn't matter how your antenna was angled in the car - one particular orientation would be just as bad as any other. The moving whilst standing still phenomenon is a "function" of the sat-nav, to compensate for periods when there is no or poor signal.
Renault Scenic with inbuilt Carminat Tom-Tom April 2013
Renault Clio
Mazda MX5 2010
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going on what i've observed and been told.

From the other thread - what does

Quote:
Antenna Polarisation: Dextrorotation Circularity Polarisation

from the spec mean then?
philai3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, it would mean that the GPS antenna is tuned to signals which are polarised in a clockwise direction - which GPS signals are. It doesn't tell you anything about in which direction or orientation, if any, is preferred.

According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know!), GPS satellites are in Medium Earth Orbit (20,200 km out), which is below geostationary altitude. Each one therefore completes an orbit in between 2 and 12 hours. So, the GPS has to track the staellites across the sky, and therefore the angle of the satellite is constantly changing. So, you would think that the mounting angle of the satellite antenna would be the least of your worries, if you were a GPS, given that the satellites are moving (albeit relatively slowly)all over the sky, and the vehicle you were attached to was changing it's attitude all the time as well.

Of course, if there is anyone out there with real knowledge about these matters......
Renault Scenic with inbuilt Carminat Tom-Tom April 2013
Renault Clio
Mazda MX5 2010
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as I can tell, it would mean that the GPS antenna is tuned to signals which are polarised in a clockwise direction - which GPS signals are. It doesn't tell you anything about in which direction or orientation, if any, is preferred.

Ah now i was told it meant it had to be flat or 90 to the ground. Someone going to get shouted at later....... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for what its worth I stuck the maplin arial on my Scenic behinf the rear view mirror with some small bits of blue tack on each corner Idea and it works fine
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, Good location as the glass area in front of the rear view mirror is often left devoid of the Athermic coating that gives GPS signal reception problems - a simple fix to an increasing problem with some car manufacturers - Mike
jaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is atip for those witha clio and i dunno if meganes have them too ut ther is a windo int he UV coating onthe windcreen right in the middle athr ebottom pof the dash, this is for the tollroad passes in france that need to read a barcode and they cant read it throughthe coadting, this little 3X2 opening is perfect for an ariel. but what i do is just stick my unit inbetween my speedo and rev counter ober the warning lights mind you and just mag mount the ariel to the door. i recently Pimped my garmin( or as we call her Senga sat nav), well i took a torx skrewdriver to it took off the face plate and painted it to match my dash as the blue stuck out like a sore thumb i also glued a thin layer of soft fabric to the underside of the ariel to stop it scratching the paint again, had to t-cut the door.
I have stuck the aeriel on every panel on the motor that isnt plastic, and on a clio is does not make much difference where it goes althogh i wonder if i'd get a better signal id the cable were shorter i don't need 5m but it was the same as it was for 3m, althogh i did find on my old laguna that if you stick it to the A piller, it used the cars internal ariel and boosted the signal even more, connecting me to the satelites in litterally 30 seconds, un like th 5 minutes in the clo and the 15 minutes withought the ariel at all.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
here is atip for those witha clio and i dunno if meganes have them too ut ther is a windo int he UV coating onthe windcreen right in the middle athr ebottom pof the dash,

On the Megane it's the dotted area behind the rear view mirror.

Quote:
is for the tollroad passes in france that need to read a barcode

Radio chip type thing. I'd like to see any system read a bar code from 50 meters whilst moving at 50 mph, when my local supermarket can't scan some items from 50 mm at 5 items per minute.

[/pendantry]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: