Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hospital A&E
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hospital A&E
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space_Cowby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added another 8 tonight.

Simply harvesting postcodes from my own address book and searching on the NHS website.

Anyone else going to help out ?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if anybody has taken into account the NHS Walk in Centres, which in effect are A&E and seem to be superceding the hospital ones, certainly their appears to be more listed than hospital A&E.
Space_Cowby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a walk in centre about 10 miles away, they seem to offer a service above GP and below A&E.

Personally i think these should also be recorded but in another Healthcare category.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably correct summary, from personal experience marvellous with accident injuries which my GP doesnt cover, and agree should be covered as you say.
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space_Cowby wrote:

Simply harvesting postcodes from my own address book and searching on the NHS website.

You haven't answered:-

Quote:
Is the idea here to create a new database or add it to the Main Database?
They have introduced a new A&E category within the Database.

Are we supplying you or this website?

They need to be more accurate than the present database of Hospitals, and entered from the personal knowledge of members.

Take a look at the following at Swansea:-

Centre Latitude: 51.6088 Longitude: -3.9859
and
Centre Latitude: 51.6843 Longitude: -3.9348

We need in emergencies to get to the door of the A&E department, and that detail must come from personal knowledge not another database or Post Code!

The icon at Morriston Hospital is hidden under the ATM icon until you zoom in to 1000ft!

We must use the same accuracy for locating A&E units as for a speed camera!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strumble, some of your points are valid but perhaps not feasible at this stage, I personally would prefer to see a POI on even if not exact location, people are gradually updating as can be personally verified, the simple fact is that by using published data it is the best way of getting as many POIs on the database as possible quickly, secondly your point about ATM in hospitals, It would seem pointless going to a hospital for an ATM and paying parking charges to use when these are more feasible in high streets etc, perhaps these shouldnt be shown.
Space_Cowby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Space_Cowby wrote:

You haven't answered:-

Quote:
Is the idea here to create a new database or add it to the Main Database?
They have introduced a new A&E category within the Database.

Are we supplying you or this website?

They need to be more accurate than the present database of Hospitals, and entered from the personal knowledge of members.

Take a look at the following at Swansea:-

Centre Latitude: 51.6088 Longitude: -3.9859
and
Centre Latitude: 51.6843 Longitude: -3.9348

We need in emergencies to get to the door of the A&E department, and that detail must come from personal knowledge not another database or Post Code!

The icon at Morriston Hospital is hidden under the ATM icon until you zoom in to 1000ft!

We must use the same accuracy for locating A&E units as for a speed camera!

It is not my decision to decide how the database is used or modified that is up to the site owners. I am simply adding ones local to me and my friends whose post codes I have.

I dont believe the A&E accuracy needs to take you to the door but it needs to get you to the hospital site. How many A&E can you park outside of ?

I have placed all mine on the access road so that you can then follow the on site signage, in many cases these are better placed that the actual hospital ones which are placed on post code only.

However If you want it to be that accurate then can you request the 20 I have submitted are actually removed and i will glady stop submitting then.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightly So Space_Cowby, but dont stop we need as many as possible, Incendently I have submitted a few NHS Walk-in Centres to start off, Carry on the good work
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have placed all mine on the access road so that you can then follow the on site signage, in many cases these are better placed that the actual hospital ones which are placed on post code only.

Thank you, I totally agree, the access road to the A&E is the ideal criteria. Perhaps we should all submit this. I will re-check my submissions, and re-submit to your suggestion.

As for parking at the A&E, that is irrelevant, as when you really need A&E [as I did] you are delivering the patient just as an ambulance does! Visiting later is a different issue.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Your point about ATM in hospitals, It would seem pointless going to a hospital for an ATM and paying parking charges to use when these are more feasible in high streets etc, perhaps these shouldnt be shown.
Not ALL hospitals charge for parking!! But more importantly, if you have to go to a hospital that does charge (and boy!, can they charge!!), it is helpful to know if you need to go and find an ATM somewhere else before going to the hospital.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a few, But they are all coming in, Anyway their are possibly different views, My point was meant to be that if you are looking for hospitals I dont want ATMs, In my usage I generally only put in the POIs that I may be interested in on my journey and usually make sure I am adequately funded prior to it. I suppose you cannot meet everybodies expectations and other people will have different views so i suppose we just have make the best of what weve got.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: