Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New GB Ireland Map - Not happy!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New GB Ireland Map - Not happy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickn5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: New GB Ireland Map - Not happy! Reply with quote

Having finally mastered the whole TomTom Home thing and got the new map 6.6 on my TT1 (alongside the old GB only original) I was not at all happy to discover that a great chunk of the A497 near Pwllheli which was rebuilt around a year ago is not shown in its new form - i.e no roundabouts, no straightened sections, and TomTom shows me driving across fields on its display...

And I have a feeling the old original map IS correct - was this from a different supplier than TeleAtlas?

Thought I'd look on MultiMap.co.uk to see the correct version of the road...hehe...guess what... yep, TeleAtlas also supply that map too. So it's wrong. 8O

Anyway, question is, to where can I take my complaint with a chance it might get fixed... or is this asking too much? Confused

NN Smile
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom or Teleatlas I guess.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my UK/Euro map is only a few months old and a huge section of the A1 about 55 miles north of newark where i live is wrong.. the tomtom thinks i am in a field for several miles..

dont expect much reaction to your complaint.. valid thow it is.. the tomtom website says my map version is uptodate and dosnt need renewing..

that is the most glaring error on mine there are many others..

trog
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:
about 55 miles north of newark where i live is wrong

Would that be Ferrybridge, near Doncaster, South Yorkshire ??????
The new A1 relief road, I believe.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes roughly around there.. doncaster is forty miles north of newark.. the error starts about 55 miles..

the bypass around mansfield to sutton in ashfield isnt on it either.. the tomtom still routes u thru mansfield..

trog
FlyingFish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats odd, cos I have what i think is the latest Western Europe map for my TTOne (bought WE just before xmas), map version: v660.1219.
And it has the new Mansfield to Sutton road. Where as my previous map didnt.

Mick
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my map was bought off the tomtom site a couple of months earlier than yours i would have just missed the boat as regards getting the latest version..

what i do find odd is the tomtom site tells me i dont have to buy another one as mine is one of the latest versions and is okay..

it quite clearly isnt okay and being as i paid over a hundred quid for it not that long ago i think the greedy wotsits should hand out a free update with one that is okay.. or at least a little more okay..

as opposed to telling me fibs and trying to hide the fact i bought a new map at the wrong time..

trog
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"New" maps on any system are typically up to 2 or 3 years old by the time they are released. This is because it take Teleatlas or Navtech several months to survey and make map changes. It then takes Tom Tom about another year or so to incorporate the new maps into their software. I am pretty sure this will be true for all sat nav makes and not just Tom Tom.
nickn5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather ironic in this technological era we live in, that the AA 'printed on paper' Road Atlas for GB is up-to-date but the electronic gizmos are all years behind. Can't really work out why it should all take so long to update these SatNav device maps, especially considering the amounts of money the maps cost, compared to a £5.99 Road Atlas. Confused

Thanks for the answers anyway all.

NN. Smile
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickn5 wrote:
especially considering the amounts of money the maps cost, compared to a £5.99 Road Atlas. Confused

Thanks for the answers anyway all.

NN. Smile

Plus the divorce costs if the wife can't map-read Wink
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can i get a paper map?. £5.99 just to get her thinking DIVORCE has got to be worth it. Laughing
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickn5 wrote:
Rather ironic in this technological era we live in, that the AA 'printed on paper' Road Atlas for GB is up-to-date but the electronic gizmos are all years behind. Can't really work out why it should all take so long to update these SatNav device maps, especially considering the amounts of money the maps cost, compared to a £5.99 Road Atlas. Confused
The AA Atlas doesn't show a great degree of accuracy, compared to a Sat Nav Map.

It also can't plan a route. Well not as quick. It also has problems re-calculating on the fly, if you should take a wrong turn. 8O

Do you have to have the Atlas open on the right page, to be warned when near a Speed Camera Question Laughing

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am pretty sure this will be true for all sat nav makes and not just Tom Tom."

it might well but i recently came down the missing AI piece in a breakdown truck tomtom in my hand garmin satnav in the truck..

my tomtom thought it was in a field and kept telling me to turn right very time we passed under a bridge the garmin device knew exactly where it was thow..

i do think tomtom should be a little more up front about what major roads are missing thow..

trog

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: