Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - C510 Problems.... Freezing & POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

C510 Problems.... Freezing & POIs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnf89
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swebster wrote:
Many thanks Phil - all sorted..... :D Nice one

Just looked at a couple of POIs to see how it processes the symbology - Ikea shows up as Sainsburys.... Guess we're all in the boat now.

I'm going to call Garmin first thing and see what they have to say.... Am then away for a while, so will post Garmin's answer and then wait to see what happens over the next few weeks. Cheers!

Has anyone had any success with the symbols as yet?
I still havent had a response from Garmin after sending them 2 e mails.
After ridiculing my friends Tom Tom in comparison to the c510, I now feel a bit of a plonker and am now beginning to wish I had gone for the TT myself.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnf89 wrote:
I still havent had a response from Garmin

Nope - me neither Crying or Very sad
Swebster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a call to Garmin i sent them an email with a brief outline of the problem. They emailed back to say that they had managed to recreate the issue with incorrect images associated with POIs, as below:

"I have recreated the issue you have encountered here, and basically backdated the software to version 4.30 as a workaround until we develop a fix."

My concern is that I cannot find a software version 4.30 to use as a workaround..... only 4.10. Is this correct? I guess this would mean having to live with system crashes, but having POIs correctly labeled....?

I did pose another question to Garmin.... Why is it that on a journey from A-B the unit will send you route Z, but when returning from B-A it will send you route Y.... surely it should pick the same route in both directions...??
Swebster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had another reply from Garmin....

All previous versions of software are available through www.gpsinformation.org/perry

As for the routing, the unit calculates the route in 3 stages and is therefore normal to experience different routings in different directions...

Regards
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swebster wrote:
All previous versions of software are available through www.gpsinformation.org/perry

I'm amazed that Garmin are quoting that site, as the official source of their software Question They didn't even refer to http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/agree.html which at least has an official looking Garmin agreement statement on it...

Re: version numbers - maybe it was just a typo and they meant "3.30", rather than "4.30" - From my experiments, "4.00" was OK too.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was interested in this question:
Quote:
on a journey from A-B the unit will send you route Z, but when returning from B-A it will send you route Y

and the answer:
Quote:
normal to experience different routings in different directions

I found this puzzling as well because the calculation one way must then give a longer time than the other way - but surely only one can be the "shortest time" between A and B. Does a similar thing happen using the shortest distance?

In fact I had a peculiar thing happen a few weeks back, where for A to B I was directed via major roads as normal, but the return avoided all major roads even though I had not changed any options - has anyone had this happen, and if so do they know how it happened?

Finally in Italy last year I had to use "VIA point" to force my i3 to give me a route on the motorway via Milan instead of a much longer route (timewise) - in fact my first choice of specifying a VIA point 50 miles away prompted the unit to suggest I did a U-turn there and go back to my starting point (=100 miles extra!), then back onto its original route! (One thing I have learnt - never throw your maps away).

I'd be interested in any info people have. Many thanks.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New C5xx firmware V5.30 on Garmin site.

They say they've mended the symbol display problem. I've not tested it yet, so I don't know what the latest bugs are Wink

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1497

That link is for the C510 - but I think the C530/550 software is identical. Have a wander round the website if you want the official link to those downloads though.

Quote:
Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.30:

Daylight saving changes for United States
Added Mexican time zones
Fixed Zoom out button to highlight when touched
Set default avoidance setting for unpaved roads
Fixed error of not displaying correct symbol for custom POI
chepe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: question about streetpilot c550 Reply with quote

hi im new here i just have a big question.

I have a streetpilot c550 but i lose my unlook cood and i go to my adrees and it dose not work is there a way to reset the code or something?

i can't find my yellow voucher i think my wife put it on the trash

Rolling Eyes Question
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: No Yellow Sheet Reply with quote

If you have just bought this, you could consider the possibility that the sheet was actually left out of the box when you bought it - I have had exchange units where the box had obviously been opened, and I had the wrong sheet (so wrong codes) inside. You should then take the unit back and see if the store will change it.

Otherwise, I don't think Garmin will re-issue the code and you will probably have to pay for a new one - but phone them anyway with proof of purchase (store, date, etc) just in case they have a sympathetic streak.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: