Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navteq update CDs Ford 9000 VNR - unavailable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navteq update CDs Ford 9000 VNR - unavailable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NAVTEQ Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oozat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Navteq update CDs Ford 9000 VNR - unavailable Reply with quote

I am so glad to find this site/forum! An ongoing problem has resulted in me contacting the motoring chap 'Honest John' in the Daily Telegraph and although he tried hard to help me, he eventually had to give up too.

I bought a Mondeo Ghia X from Ford Direct with the sat nav pre-installed and registered my UK CD with Navteq (then Nav Tech). I bought a CD for France and I think I updated the UK one at teh same time. A year or so later I need to update the CDs as there have been major changes, especially in France. So I contacted Navteq. Their response is unbelievable:

They are unable to sell me the latest CDs as the updated versions were sent to Ford for 'approval'. Ford has 'the right' to remove data from the master CDs and add alternative data. So, it might want to take the locations of other car manufacturers off the CD and add locations of supermarkets or something. Navteq will not sell the CD mapping info without Ford's approval - but Ford can't be bothered!

So, I contacted Ford and spoke to numerous people and nobody but nobody could help ...... they all denied knowing anything about it and as Ford no longer install the 9000 VNR they seemed totally uninterested.

I've bought two Fords in recent years, but this has really put me off them as I need to have sat nav for my work seeing people all over the country and in France and Spain - it has been so useful. Navteq said they were tearing their hair out, because they want to write to users and sell them the CDs ...... but Ford does nothing to help.

The chances of me ever buying a pre-installed system again are virtually zero following this experience, which has wasted so much time. I hope other car manufacturers are not as bad as Ford.

When this is resolved I will write to Honest John again and let him know how.

Any suggestions please, as I really do need to get the latest discs from Navteq ASAP?

Many thanks.

Oozat
blootvr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Looks like one of fords other companies has a similar approach here are copies of emails I sent and its rather predictable response.

Hi,
I have contacted the dealers locally, three of them in fact. I got three differing answers, 1. It is possible, there is an up to date disc. 2. It isn't possible the last update was in 2002. 3. Yes we can get you an up to date DVD and it should work.
Personally I go with your version and No 2 above, the last CD produced was for 2002. That being the case I find this totally unacceptable. The sat nav system is well over a £1,000 option, in a £30,000+ car. To say that it is basically an obsolete system as it has not been updated for five years is ridiculous. Given that I can't get a straight answer from the dealers I assumed that I would at least get a straight answer from the manufacturer, not :-
"However, your Jaguar S-TYPE (2000MY) might not be compatible; it might be running on CD rather then the DVD. The last update for the CD was in 2002".

Mine is a W Reg. 2000MY car, and currently has a CD produced in 1999 in it. Although a 2002 CD would be better than the CD I have, it is hardly up to date given that it is five years old. In addition the dealer quoted £125 + VAT for it!.
How is it that other manufacturers manage to support their older vehicle systems, but Jaguar can't?. Can you please give me a more comprehensive reply with a few more positive replies and less "mights" in it.

Rgds Phil Robinson

Dear Mr Robinson

Thank you for contacting Jaguar Cars

A Jaguar Navigation update DVD is now in the dealers, and available from the Parts Department.

The Part Number for the DVD is: 02C2C35740

In addition to the latest new roads, customers buying this Update, will have the following new functionality:

"Ability to change Navigation route/destination, whilst the vehicle is in motion. Previously the car had to be stationary to make route changes. This is in response to customer feedback to allow Passengers to make changes whilst driving".

However, your Jaguar S-TYPE (2000MY) might not be compatible, it might be running on CD rather then the DVD. The last update for the CD was in 2002.

Therefore, please contact your local dealership, who will be able to assist you further.

http://www.jaguar.co.uk/uk/en/_useful_links/locate_a_dealer.htm

Thank you once again for contacting Jaguar Cars.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on freephone 0800 70 80 60, or by email on information@jaguar.co.uk.
Our customer information centre is open 8am-8pm Monday to Friday, 9am-6pm Saturday and 10am-4pm on Sundays.

Yours sincerely

Billy Singh
Jaguar Information

Dear Mr Robinson

Thank you very much for your email.

First of all, let me say that I can fully understand your frustration.
When it comes to technology, it does seem that electronic devices change at an ever increasing pace, and each new development lacks compatibility with its predecessor.

The balance which we have to strike is taking advantage of the very best technology available, versus keeping things as they are. In the case of Satellite Navigation, the move from CD to DVD format was too compelling to ignore. It just allowed far greater functionality and features.

The question then becomes supporting the out-going format. As you have rightly identified, there is an update CD for your system, all be it a 2002 upgrade.
After that point, our Satellite Navigation suppliers no longer supported the CD format. I do believe that you will find this to be the case industry wide, and all Navigation systems manufacturers drew a line under the CD format.

As to the cost of upgrades. Again, this is a function of the investment the Navigation systems suppliers make in updating the information. On the face of it, over a hundred pounds does seem a lot for a CD, however, this represents the costs of producing it. Jaguar, and all the other car manufacturers, need to reflect the costs of our suppliers.

I do appreciate that these are probably not the answers you would hope for.
However, I do hope that we have attempted to give as open and honest a response as possible.

If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0800 70 80 60 or via email at information@jaguar.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Lee Sanderson
Jaguar Customer Information
blootvr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to get back to the problem is there any way of adding an upto date map to my system by say copying one from my TomTom system and adding it to a new CD containing the data from the navtech CD from the Jag, or am I infringing someones copyright by doing this of is it just a nonstarter due to technical problems.
Oozat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What annoys me in the misinformation being dished out by these motor companies. If Navtech says that the CDs are available and that it's the car manufacturers who are causing the problem by not authorising them, why are the manufacturers just 'spinning' what they must consider to be a 'reasonable' excuse? They just expect all their customers to accept this 'things move on' garbage that they spout, because they can't be bothered to provide a decent service to their customers.

My system may be old, but it works perfectly. It cost £1,700 at the time - not cheap. I bought it as an 'investment' in terms of being able to use the thing all the time. It's a great system and the update discs were available at Navtech but under contractual terms they were unable to distribute the CDs direct of via Ford outlets.

The whole situation is scandalous. I am sorely tempted to approach Trading Standards, Watchdog and anywhere else that might listen to a story of companies neglecting their existing customers once a sale has gone through. I bet Ford would be more than happy for me to order a new system through them, install it and charge me the earth for doing so. But the mere approval of a CD is beyond them as they just don't care. It comes down to pure greed on their part.

As far as using a CD from a different supplier is concerned, I have a feeling it won't work, but somebody may know different.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NAVTEQ Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: