Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Prolific Pl-2303 Driver for WM5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Prolific Pl-2303 Driver for WM5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Prolific Pl-2303 Driver for WM5 Reply with quote

Can anybody help please?

I have a WM5 PDA which has USB host capabilities, and a USB GPS receiver which has a Prolific PL-2303 chipset. Trouble is, I can only find the drivers for WM2003 which appear to load OK, and I don't get any messages when the USB GPS is plugged in now. But I have been through all the 9 serial ports, and none seem to be giving me GPS data. 8O

Any ideas would be appreciated. Confused
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do realise that you are converting from serial to USB on your Pocket PC and then from USB to serial on the receiver? It would be much easier to use a serial receiver.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PDA only has a USB host and NO serial connection. Serial on my pda has to be done with the manufacturers special USB to serial cable.

The GPS I have can be serial or USB deopending on which cable end is connected. When the USB cable end is connected, it has a PL-2303 in the cable end.

If I buy the manufacturer USB to Serial cable, I will then have to hack the serial cable end from my GPS to use the power in the serial cable as it comes with a PS2 connector for power. The USB option would be tidier if I can get a working driver.

I have tried the Prolific support web site, but this seems to be permenently broken. The site is:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Has anybody used a PL-2303 device on WM5 successfully yet?
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your PDA, your USB host cable, and your GPS?
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pc-Mobile wrote:

The PDA is a commercial ruggesdised device, not a consumer PDA. The USB cable does not contain any electronics as it is all in the PDA, but the manufacturers serial cable does have a USB to serial converter built-in, although I don't know what sort (as they are not available yet).

I do know that the PDA has a tusb3410 USB chipset if that helps at all?

The GPS is a Leadtek. It has RJ11 adapter with 4 wires (+Ve, Txd, Rxd & Gnd). The serial connecter turns this into a normal serial plug, and the USB lead contains a PL-2303, hence the need for the WM5 drivers for a PL-2303.

Can you help?
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GizmoB73 wrote:
Pc-Mobile wrote:

The PDA is a commercial ruggesdised device, not a consumer PDA. The USB cable does not contain any electronics as it is all in the PDA, but the manufacturers serial cable does have a USB to serial converter built-in, although I don't know what sort (as they are not available yet).

I do know that the PDA has a tusb3410 USB chipset if that helps at all?

The GPS is a Leadtek. It has RJ11 adapter with 4 wires (+Ve, Txd, Rxd & Gnd). The serial connecter turns this into a normal serial plug, and the USB lead contains a PL-2303, hence the need for the WM5 drivers for a PL-2303.

Can you help?

You could at least say what your "commercial ruggesdised device" is!
Does it have USB host? A Casio?

It is completely confusing.

You say "but the manufacturers serial cable does have a USB to serial converter built-in,"
Is that the cable you use? Then it is a serial cable. So why would you need a USB to serial driver?
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDA is made by Intermec. I really don't know why this matters!

All of the other information is in my posts.

YES it does have USB host, NO I don't have the manufacturer serial cable, it is not yet released and I am looking for an alternative.

The Intermec cable MUST have a USB to serial adapter built-in because the device does not have on-board serial, only USB host & client. The only cable I have terminates in a USB A socket which would allow me to connect a USB cable.

It is WM5 and it uses tusb3410 (I can see this in the registry).

I would like to connect a USB or serial GPS receiver, can you help?
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GizmoB73 wrote:
The PDA is made by Intermec. I really don't know why this matters!

All of the other information is in my posts.

Yes it does matter so that I can look it up for you as you do not seem to have any clue of what you are saying.

Si you have a CN30?
CN30 does have a serial port so why would you need a USB to serial cable? All you need is a serial cable from Intermec.
Or may be you have the CN30 USB to serial cable (that is a serial cble, which you say you did not have), then you must have the necessary dfriver from the manufacturer. Why would they sell a USB to serial cable without any driver?
If you are obsessed in trying to find a way to use your mouse GPS I would suggest you forget it. A mouse GPS never work satisfactorily with a PDA.
Cable solution can be costly and troublesom.

I suggest you invest $50-80 on a brand new bluetooth GPS.
Your PDA has bluetooth, so why do it the hard way?
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a CN3, not a CN30 and it really doesn't have a serial port. It uses a manufacturer cable, with an in-built converter... when they are released.

The drivers for their cable are apparently already on the device, they seem to be something to do with tusb3410 (host chipset), but I don't know what chipset they are using in their cable.

I already have a Bluetooth solution that I use on another PDA but I would prefer a cabled solution as it is one less battery to have to keep charged.

If I could only get the PL-2303 drivers working on WM5 then this should be quite easy, so any ideas where I can get these or another USB GPS mouse that comes with WM5 drivers?
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they sold you the cable, they should supply you with the driver.
As far as I know there is no WM5 driver for pl2303 chips.
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pc-Mobile wrote:

The manufacturer serial cable is NOT yet released. I don't have one. I am not sure how much clearer I can make this point! Rolling Eyes What I do have is the manufacturer USB cable, which is just a straight through connection to the USB Host port on the device, and terminating in a USB A socket.

What I do have is a USB GPS receiver that is actually a serial GPS with a PL-2303 USB to serial converter in it. I can physically plug this into my device, but I don't have the drivers for WM5.

Are there any USB GPS receivers available with WM5 drivers?
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GizmoB73 wrote:
Pc-Mobile wrote:

The manufacturer serial cable is NOT yet released. I don't have one. I am not sure how much clearer I can make this point! Rolling Eyes What I do have is the manufacturer USB cable, which is just a straight through connection to the USB Host port on the device, and terminating in a USB A socket.

What I do have is a USB GPS receiver that is actually a serial GPS with a PL-2303 USB to serial converter in it. I can physically plug this into my device, but I don't have the drivers for WM5.

Are there any USB GPS receivers available with WM5 drivers?

You are now making it a little more clearer!

Even if you do have the driver it is still not going to work because your PDA cannot supply enough power to power the GPS. Even if it can, it will deplete the PDA power in less than an hour making it useless.

That is why I advised you to forget it.
Use a bluetooth GPS.
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pc-Mobile wrote:

Even if you do have the driver it is still not going to work because your PDA cannot supply enough power to power the GPS. Even if it can, it will deplete the PDA power in less than an hour making it useless.

That is why I advised you to forget it.
Use a bluetooth GPS.

When I'm in the car, my PDA is plugged into the car power supply, so this is not a problem. Besides I have 4000mAh battery and my GPS uses about 33mA (average) according to the specs.

I am not worried about the power, all I need is a simple generic USB to Serial adapter that has WM5 drivers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: