Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - going hiking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

going hiking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: going hiking Reply with quote

I used to have an iPAQ/fortuna system (until it fell apart) and now happily use a TomTom 710 in the car. But I want a handheld to walk around with in the UK and Spain - the TomTom only seems to recognise roads and is anyway too bulky. I have read in walking guides that one can download waypoints. So do I use one of these handhelds without a map? Or do I have to buy a load more maps? (I already have the SD card in the TomTom, the old Navigator 5 maps for Europe - how many times do I have to by these things....
Garmins seem popular but which to buy...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Memory Map for walking and (mainly) TomTom while in the car on a PDA, there are other cosiderations, the PDA isn't waterproof so needs extra protection, and you will need a bluetooth GPS unit (unless the PDA comes with an integral receiver. The Garmins I have never used, but are waterproof and generally more rugged than the PDA. Take your time with a purchase, one thing to consider is the Outdoors Show at the NEC in March where you can see/ try various devices and software.
One word of warning though, make sure you have paper maps and a compass pluss the knowledge how to use them, don't rely 100% on GPS it can go wrong or break if you drop it - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to Mike's comments...

Electronic mapping either on PDA or modern mapping GPS units don't (in my opinion) give sufficient view of the map (esp at 1:25000) to allow you to do any significant 'map' work on the device. Also they are delicate and battery life is not sufficient for even a 1/2 day walk.

My solution? Use MemoryMap or Anquet. These are topographical packages that allow you to display GB OS maps (either 1:50k or 1:25k) on your PC (and PDA). I would look at MemoryMap as they have some mapping for Europe available.

You plot your route(s) using waypoints on the PC, print a custom map off (includes all the waypoints and routes). You download the waypoints and routes to your handheld GPS unit - which can be any inexpensive supported unit and off you go with map and GPS (and all the other kit you need for the walk).

Modern handheld GPS units are inexpensive and very rugged, giving excellent battery life (around 20 hours from 2 AA cells.) Many good ones are available on eBay. I bought my GARMIN GPS60 last year from eBay - excellent value.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: