Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA vs dedicated Radar/Speed Camera Detector?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA vs dedicated Radar/Speed Camera Detector?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drivethru
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: PDA vs dedicated Radar/Speed Camera Detector? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm finding it hard to decide upon which route to take, concerning a reliable Speed Camera alert system for the car?

1) Using a PDA (that I already have), with the relevant GPS software and the famous Pocket GPS Speed Camera Database...

OR...

2) A dedicated PASSIVE Radar/Speed Camera detector such as the New Road Angel, or a Beltronics Euro?

OK, so the PDA will be detecting ALL camera's that are in the Speed Camera Database, but what if a new Camera or Gatso suddenly springs up not on the Database... This is where a Radar Detector WOULD alert me as it passively detects the camera, while the PDA would know nothing about it = no alert!

I'm sure it's a swings and roundabouts case.. Both have their advantages?...
All feedback and thoughts appreciated. Smile ;)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
where a Radar Detector WOULD alert me as it passively detects the camera

by which time you have been caught and the speed recorded.....
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: PDA vs dedicated Radar/Speed Camera Detector? Reply with quote

drivethru wrote:
2) A dedicated PASSIVE Radar/Speed Camera detector such as the New Road Angel, or a Beltronics Euro?

Welcome

I don't use my RADAR detector that much anymore. There are too many non-RADAR speed traps out there (LASER, SPECS, Monitron, Truvelo) now and the RADAR ones are pretty much all marked in the database.

The manufacturers claim their units will detect LASER devices, but I have seen a number of independent tests which show that if you are targeted directly then you have no chance to slow down before they have a reading on you. If you are really hard core then you want a GPS detector and a LASER jammer unit (with dubious legality).
drivethru
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skippy, thankyou for the welcome. Smile Thumbs Up

It's a very good point, alot more of the Camera's implemented use digital technology, so a convential "camera/radar detector" wouldn't make a peep as you approached it!

The Jammers are a possibility, however it's a bit like the '3 strikes and you are out' rule. If the Police experience "technical" difficulties with their Gun when attempting to lock your speed, you may drive off into the sunset without being stopped, initially! However on the 2nd or 3rd occasion that the same thing happens, they'll physically impound your vehicle, then take it apart, until they find "evidence" it's not just their Guns having a bad day! Laughing And yes, illegal to use also. Hmmm.

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
where a Radar Detector WOULD alert me as it passively detects the camera

by which time you have been caught and the speed recorded.....

...Thanx Paul, but YOU must be driving pretty fast over the speed limit if you don't even have time to slow down, when the Detector starts alerting.... when you consider that the detector will pickup radar scatter upto 400 metres BEFORE you reach the camera (Valentine1 detects Laser upto 3 miles before you reach the camera/gun)! Wink
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanx Paul, but YOU must be driving pretty fast over the speed limit if you don't even have time to slow down,

Never had a detector, never needed one.

I'll thank you to keep your opinions about my speed to yourself - you don't know me or anythign about me, let alone about my driving habits.

I know people that have detectors, i know aboiut the false alerts they give off and i know people who have been banned desipte having a detector.
drivethru
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

I'll thank you to keep your opinions about my speed to yourself - you don't know me or anythign about me, let alone about my driving habits.

I know people that have detectors, i know aboiut the false alerts they give off and i know people who have been banned desipte having a detector.

I thanked you for your cocky 'know it all' One liner (your initial reply).

PaulB2005 wrote:

Never had a detector, never needed one.

Judging by your Post count on here (and your "fanatic" staus), it's an obvious presumption that you use the 'Safety Camera Database'.

Therefore, your "driving habits" must be such that you feel the need to be alerted to the location of speed cameras.

Also, you know people that have been banned despite using a detector. So how fast OVER the limit were they driving to get banned!? 8O ....that says it all! Rolling Eyes

Oh, and I also know that you can't spell!... "aboiut" .. "anythign" .. "desipte" ?? WTF! Rolling Eyes Laughing
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the laser gun will usually detect in a mater of miliseconds so youd have no time to react to the warning if your targeted with a laser gun. radar is a little slower.

the speed camera database will help you know there is a speed camera ahead on your route, the only way not to get done is to keep with in the limits

please dont let this topic get dragged to a slanging match please

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
drivethru
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alix, thankyou for your reply.

I have attempted to go back to my last Thread and Edit/delete all of the text not really "on subject". If you CAN modify it, please strip it down to what you feel is relevant. Wink

When it comes down to it there is not one solution that will provide COMPLETE coverage (alert you to all speed camera types). But I agree, a GPS database solution is the most efficient method, for being alerted to the 'majority' of Cameras out there.

Devices such as the Road Angel use GPS with a passive Laser detector.
However, as you have all mentioned, it will only take a split second for the Policeman to take a reading.. By the time the Detector starts beeping it's probably too late!

Therefore, consider me a convert... will be signing up for a subscription to the Speed Camera Database soon.

Cheers ALL for your replies, much appreciated. Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: