Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA for Tomtom and Memory Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA for Tomtom and Memory Map
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

May I ask - did it arrive..? What's been your experience? I think I'm narrowing my choice down to either the same ASUS or maybe the Fujitsu-Siemens LOOX N560. The latter has an internal GPS antenna which looks safer from a potential accident point of view but maybe I'm being parnoid. Did you look at the N560 and discard it for some reason..?

Many thanks for your thoughts - if only a few brief impressions :-)

Brian
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoron wrote:
Just an update.

So in the end I opted for the Asus My Pal A639. I've ordered it and am just waiting for stock to come in.

James :@)

James,

Did you ever get the ASUS A639 ?

If so how do you find it ?

Cheers

Neil
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil,

Funny you should ask because after all this time I ordered THIS MORNING, an iPaq rx5935 - from the UK as here in Switzerland I can only get either the French, German or Italian versions.

A word of warning on the ASUS: there is a screen alignment problem. It put me off buying one for ages and when I wrote to ASUS technical support asking about it they simply didn't reply. I wrote a few more times and eventually I said, thanks, I'm buying something different. At which point I got a message - "Good luck" it said. Strange... I'd steer clear of them if I were you.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20061001161938151&board_id=6&model=MyPal+A636N&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

There seem to be a LOT of other problems over there...

I'll be back in a few weeks to post my impressions of the rx5935 - I've only ever read good things about it. Maybe you should wish me luck! :-)

Cheers, Brian.
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered a review I read only yesterday:

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/APR07/ipaqrx.aspx

Looks good, eh?!
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

iPaq rx5935 looks good, let us know how you get on with it, especially with regard to first fix GPS time and battery life. Would be good if HP sold it without the bundled TomTom as I use Memory Map.

I was attracted to the ASUS because it has excellent battery life - up to 8 hours in GPS mode and a fold out antenna for better reception. Actually ordered one in Jan and received it a few weeks ago only to find it had Chinese firmware and OS installed !! The vendor I ordered it from were most helpful and arranged for the PDA to be returned to ASUS for reflash to English. However after speaking to the ASUS helpline who were very difficult to deal with and unhelpful I decided enough was enough and returned it for a full refund. Shame as the A639 is otherwise a very nice piece of kit.

I then looked at the Siemens Loox N560 only to discover it's internal antenna, whilst SiRf III, is very poor, up to 10 mins for first fix.

I want a PDA with GPS to use with Memory Map 1:25K OS maps for cycling. Fast GPS fix and long battery life essential Smile

Maybe a standard PDA with seperate bluetooth receiver would be best.

Cheers

Neil
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothers wrote:
...Maybe a standard PDA with seperate bluetooth receiver would be best.

Could be. I prefer the all-in-one approach 'cause it's neater and I'd be bound to lose the antenna!

Sorry to hear about your experience with ASUS but after my limited contact with them I'm afraid I'm NOT shocked.

Anyway, I'll be back here in a few weeks with some sort of report :-) I'm not hoping too much for battery life - I might well buy a spare.

Cheers!
paolo2cv2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianT wrote:

Anyway, I'll be back here in a few weeks with some sort of report :-) I'm not hoping too much for battery life - I might well buy a spare.

Cheers!

Hi Brian,

any news about Your test with rx5935 ?
expecially interested in cold fix time (when GPS is off for more than 24 hours) in city area between buildings.
I have heard that it takes a lot of minutes. Have You tested in these conditions ? what is Your experience ?

bye Paolo
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rx5935 seems good! As far as the fix time is concerned I have no complaints and it is noticeable faster in all respects than my old iPaq 3970 with its Navman sleeve. It's still early days from my point of view and with many other things going on I've not even managed to get to grips with the wireless aspect of the device but if I have any real problems I'll come back and let you know :-)
paolo2cv2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianT wrote:
My rx5935 seems good! As far as the fix time is concerned I have no complaints and it is noticeable faster in all respects than my old iPaq 3970 with its Navman sleeve. It's still early days from my point of view and with many other things going on I've not even managed to get to grips with the wireless aspect of the device but if I have any real problems I'll come back and let you know :-)

ThankYou. I will hear from You with pleasure.

Paolo

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: