Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI's TT910 I'm confused - again!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI's TT910 I'm confused - again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike. One interesting point: Of the 25 files on the Speedcam database (and I'm including the traffic light POI here too) only 24 are shown on the unit. The Gatso TBA is missing - all the others are showing.

There are 105 ov2's

so the pre-installed ones must be being read as individual POI's hence the non-appearance on the unit.

The five not showing are
Gatso TBA
and the four individual fuel locations.

that's makes the limit of 100POI's.

I think I know now what to do but why are these files individual under this version software.

I'm off out now and be back late evening and look forward to your observations/recommendations.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do the following actions to rectify this situation:

1/ Use Windows Explorer to create a FULL BACK-UP of the device (just in case) - forget using TomTom Home for this.

2/ Once you have the Back-up, go to the Western Europe Map folder using Windows Explorer and delete any file with an ov2 file extension.

3/ Download a fresh Speed Camera database, unzip it and install (if need be follow the instructions listed HERE

4/ Try the device out, before installing anymore POI - use Advanced Planning to plot a route past a few known local cameras, then use Route demo at a speed of 100% to run the simulation without going out in the car (its cold and dark)

5/ Download some additional POI that you need for the device, again unzip and use Windows Explorer to copy the files to the Western Europe Map folder, configure as required.

Keep an eye on the quantity of POI installed, if it gets up around 90 or more start to re-consider what you have on the device and use the consolodated option, for example the fuel POI is great when split down in to individual suppliers, but this consumes valuable POI slots on the device, all you really need to know is where a Petrol station is. How many people have a true loyalty to a single brand in this day and (rip off pump prices) age.

Its a fair bit of work to undertake the above, but it should at least recover the device to a known standard where you can work from to install what you want/ need - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
I read and understand the advice given a day or so ago that the TT POI's are dealt with in a different way and are not counted toward the 100 POI's allowed but when I count each red map-pin file in drive "I", there are 105 - which include the pre-installed ones plus my PGPS Speedcams plus the fuel ones mentioned earlier.
The Built-in POI's do not show up in either Explorer or HOME. Confused

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
topref wrote:
I read and understand the advice given a day or so ago that the TT POI's are dealt with in a different way and are not counted toward the 100 POI's allowed but when I count each red map-pin file in drive "I", there are 105 - which include the pre-installed ones plus my PGPS Speedcams plus the fuel ones mentioned earlier.
Before TT moved to their current NON-POI camera warnings, how many camera related OV2 files might we have expect to find on a "virgin" 700?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There were no Custom POI on the device when you got it......
I think (well I know really) I owe you an apology for this quote, the 910 was (and possibly still is) supplied with a version of the early TomTom Speed Camera database (which was different to the current offering - I think we all assumed you had loaded). Having checked my day one back up file I have 38 TomTom Speed Camera files listed, each one has a corresponding .ov2 .bmp and .ver file.

These being ov2 file type will be counted towards your total of 100 hence the problems you have encountered. I should have realised earlier, the easy option is to simply delete the files to free up the custom POI allocation as I have detailed earlier this evening, the "penny" dropped when I started looking at some old user guides I created which even detail how to remove these files using either TomTom Home of Windows Explorer - sadly they were superseded by the "new" PGPSW camera download system and were never published! - some eight months ago.

I will add something to the FAQ section later in the week to cover this file removal as you are the fourth person with a 910 that has experienced difficulties in the last week! Some small consolation that others might not have the same frustration, lets face it reading back you asked often enough if these files were the problem, sometimes its difficult to see the wood for the trees! - Mike
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
topref wrote:

I'll try and clarify what I mean here.

When I first got the device, I took a look (as I always tend to do with a new toy) to see what was in the folder that I was mainly going to use. I looked in it using TT Home and, in both the left and right window, there were files. The ones in the left window were greyed out and the ones in the right were bold. Now, not wishing to up something which was completely new, I left them as they were.

In my old PDA, I remember always using explorer to drag and drop downloaded files and that's what I intended to carry on doing. So I went to "My Computer" and opened the TomTom drive and in there were the bold files I saw in the TT Home right hand window. They looked exactly like the red map-pin .ov2 and .bmp files that the PGPSW speedcam files look like. But, I remember reading that the pre-installed TT speed cam database was stored in a different way and that there would be now problem downloading quite a few costom POI files that I would make use of.

So, when I downloaded the 24 speedcam and one red light files, that tipped it to 101 files and it dropped one of the files which turned out to be the "Gatso TBA" file to reveal just 100 useable POI's. That is why none of the other POI's I downloaded are being displayed. they are there, cos I can see them in the drives, but these pre installed ones are stopping me from seeing them in my unit on stand-alone!
pauljulian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Editing TT's built-in POI's Reply with quote

A query on POI's from a noobie..

How can I modify the built in POI's (eg changing the name of a shopping centre or maybe adding a phone number or the like)...

At the moment, all I can do with Manage POI is to edit the custom ones in there....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Editing TT's built-in POI's Reply with quote

pauljulian wrote:
How can I modify the built in POI's (eg changing the name of a shopping centre or maybe adding a phone number or the like)....
You cannot do this the built in POI are pre-set and cannot be altered.

pauljulian wrote:
At the moment, all I can do with Manage POI is to edit the custom ones in there....
The Manage POI tool set is only for dealing with the custom POI - Mike
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to my original post, I'm travelling about 260 miles to work this morning and not back until late Monday. There is internet access where I'm going but it's very sporadic.

Will try and report back before Monday. If not, will do so as soon as I can.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
Going back to my original post, I'm travelling about 260 miles to work this morning and not back until late Monday. There is internet access where I'm going but it's very sporadic.

Will try and report back before Monday. If not, will do so as soon as I can.
Good luck Exclamation

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D OK. Managed to get a connection.

Everything is now working fine in the POI's.

The Speedcams (including the Text to speech) warnings are spot on. The other POI's are now showing up so problem solved.

Thanks to most of you guys for persevering with it.

Cheers :D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it - well done, I have added a section to the FAQ detailing how to remove the ov2 files that gave you so much trouble. At least you can get what you want out of the device at last - Mike
BJB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Glad to hear it - well done, I have added a section to the FAQ detailing how to remove the ov2 files that gave you so much trouble. At least you can get what you want out of the device at last - Mike

Once again another example of how the collective thoughts from people on this site can help solve problems. You have rescued me on several occaisions. Long may it continue. ( The help that is not the problems)

BJB

TomTom Start 20 with UK & Ire maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: