Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI's TT910 I'm confused - again!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI's TT910 I'm confused - again!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: POI's TT910 I'm confused - again! Reply with quote

I downloaded the POI's from the PGPS community page using the following:

Tom Tom
UK
Selected 60 POI subcategories from within the 23 categories listed.
When I first downloaded, I used the combined subcategories button and saved them to the desktop. When I tried opening it, it threw up a box telling me that the file was corrupted.
I then downloaded using the "Separate Files". I saved this to the desktop and it opens showing the files exactly as they look when opening the speed cam filed.

I opened the TT910's folder on my desktop and dragged these 60 files across. I had already dragged and dropped the 24 speedcam files earlier.

When I connect the unit to the PC, TT Home opens and the files I dragged and dropped are all shown there.

When I look at the contents via Internet Explorer, they are showing there too.

However, when I open the POI's on the unit itself, it just shows the Speedcam files that I've added along with the pre-installed ones such as Cash Dispenser, Airport and the like. there's no sign of the ones from the afore-mentioned 60 POI's.

Where are they?

Also, I saw it yesterday but can't find it now, where do I find the version number that's running on this unit?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use TomTom Home to install non-TomTom POIs (is it useful for ANYTHING?). Use drag and drop instead.
See THIS POST from yesterday that asks much the same question...

Mike Alder wrote:
You can only use the TomTom Home application for installing the speed camera POI files, if you are trying to install other custom POI's then use Windows Explorer.
Unzip the POI download to reveal the individual files.
Each POI file comprises of a bmp file (the icon/ image) and an associated ov2 file (the positional data), both these files (per POI category you want to install) need to be placed in your GB Map Folder on the device.
Don't go over the top with the quantity of custom POI files there is a limit of 100 individual categories, any more than this and you won't see all the POI files that you have installed - Mike
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly my point. I didn't use TT Home.

I did drag and drop. The only resaon I mentioned TT Home in the original post was to demonstrate that even that showed the filed were there.

In "My Computer", I open the drive created by the connection of the TT unit, and all the files are there.

I can't see them in the unit when used as a stand alone.

I've put over 60 POI's from the ones I downloaded from PGPS site plus the 24 Speedcam files. Is that too many?

NONE of the 60 are showing but all the speedcams are.

Where have I gone wrong?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a limit of 100 custom POI files on the 910 with the current software, as you have the speed cameras correctly entered what is different with the other POI you have installed:
Do they all show up within TT Home?
If they do have you gone to Change Preferences/ Enable disable POI's and actually selected the ones you have added?
Mike
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't seem to be putting this over very well as none of my issues have been addressed but I do appreciate the time you are taking to help.

In my first post ,and confirmed in post 3, I dragged and dropped the Speedcam files and they show in 1. TT home, 2. via the drive created under "My Computer" when the unit connected to the PC and most importantly when using the unit alone. Those comprise the full 24 files.

I did exactly the same thing with the sub category 60 POI's. Dragged and dropped them. They show in 1. TT home and 2 via the drive. BUT these don't show when I use the unit alone and unconnected to anything so when I try and do as Mike suggested "Preferences/ Enable disable POI's" they're not there so can't enable them. But they show, as I mentioned earlier, in both TT Home and in the drive created on connection of the unit to the PC.

The only things showing (and editable) when the unit is unconnected to anything are the speedcam files which I'd dragged and dropped along with the tt pre- installed "Airport" "Car dealership" "Cash Dispenser" etc (to name just 3). None the POI's I dragged over "Accomodation" "Bank" and "Healthcare" for example are there. And they are not described by their sub-category names either. I have been able to access the speedcam files and set the "Warn when approaching" for each one.

Now, two days ago I posted a question in the fifth post in this thread:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=50635.

I have copied 84 files across as new POI's from the PGPS site which I will benefit from. How many are on there initially?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were no Custom POI on the device when you got it, the inbuilt POI (Airport etc) are all lumped in to a single file, they do not count towards the 100 limit.
In order to check view your Western Europe map folder and count how many files end with the extension ov2 (these are your custom POI files thet you have installed).
The Custom POI files must be files within the map folder, they cannot reside in a sub folder and neither should they remain zipped up in the download folder - Mike
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
Those comprise the full 24 files.

topref wrote:
I have copied 84 files across as new POI's from the PGPS site which I will benefit from.
I make that 108, which would be greater than the 100 limit. However, I thought that you would still be able to access (a completely random selection of) 100 POI groups. Question

As Mike said, have you put the POI OV2 files directly into the map folder?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
topref wrote:
Those comprise the full 24 files.

topref wrote:
I have copied 84 files across as new POI's from the PGPS site which I will benefit from.
I make that 108, which would be greater than the 100 limit. However, I thought that you would still be able to access (a completely random selection of) 100 POI groups. Question

As Mike said, have you put the POI OV2 files directly into the map folder?

BGF - No, 84!

My previous posts (the third one) says that I copied 60 of the POI's taken from the PGPS site (Tesco, Asda, Halfords etc) plus the 24 "Speed Zone Complete" files as opposed to the other options from the Speedcam database.

Mike.

When I go into Drive I on my pc, (The one created when I connect my TT unit) I open the "Western and Central Eurpoe" folder. In there can be found the 24 Speedcam files that I uploaded to it plus the 60 others taken from the PGPS database which would be of use to me.

When I hold the cursor over the red map-pin box it it described as "Autovelox_IT_130_TomTom"
"Type of file: TomTom Binary"
"Opens with: Poi edit"

With those files are also another 160 or so files variously described as "fartkamera", "Blitzer_AT_70_TomtomOV2.ver" "fartsboks_NO_90". "flitspaal_NL_NL_80", "Kamerat_FI_70". Those are just examples - if you get my meaning. Each have got the little boxes, one with the red map pin, and the other box with the BMP file.

These look like individual files to me. They look, to all intents and purposes, exactly like the files that I installed.

Any further views please?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
When I go into Drive I on my pc, (The one created when I connect my TT unit) I open the "Western and Central Eurpoe" folder. In there can be found the 24 Speedcam files that I uploaded to it plus the 60 others taken from the PGPS database which would be of use to me.

When I hold the cursor over the red map-pin box it it described as "Autovelox_IT_130_TomTom"

With those files are also another 160 or so files variously described as "fartkamera", "Blitzer_AT_70_TomtomOV2.ver" "fartsboks_NO_90". "flitspaal_NL_NL_80", "Kamerat_FI_70". Those are just examples - if you get my meaning. Each have got the little boxes, one with the red map pin, and the other box with the BMP file.

These look like individual files to me. They look, to all intents and purposes, exactly like the files that I installed.

If this is in Windows Explorer, then disable "Hide extensions for known file types". This will show you the file extension. That way we'll know for sure what file type we're talking about! Do you need all those foreign camera files? How many "red map-pin" files (I'm hoping/presuming that these are OV2s), do you have?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. there are 160 of the red map pin files and the file extensions now displayed in the map-pin boxes are all OV2's.

That was the reason I posted a couple of days ago asking if I could safely delet the existing ones. I'm not going to be using it overseas.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:

They may appear the same, but they aren't POI files, they are Tom Tom's own camera files which are dealt with differently (by the TT910) from POIs. They show the red map pin icon when viewed in TT Home, but not in Windows Explorer.
The camera files from here are the ones "pocketgps_uk_****.ov2" and the associated pocketgps_uk_****.bmp ones. These do not show a red map pin (indeed, do not show the filenames) in TT Home.

It looks to me as though perhaps you are only seeing the Tom Tom cameras and POIs (ATMs).
In my original backup GO710 Western Europe Map I have 182 files - 8 "sundry" files plus 174 Tom Tom camera files - Autovelox, Blitzer etc. If you added 48 for PGPSW cameras (ov2 and bmp) that's up to 230 files, then additional POIs would increase that total (60 POIs would give 120 files, bringing total to 350 files in the folder).
Please forgive me if I'm asking the stupidly obvious, but is it possible that in drag 'n drop you missed the folder - I ask because I frequently do so! I then end up having to use Win Explorer "Search" to find where I've dropped them!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
Hi. there are 160 of the red map pin files and the file extensions now displayed in the map-pin boxes are all OV2's.

That was the reason I posted a couple of days ago asking if I could safely delet the existing ones. I'm not going to be using it overseas.
I don't have a 910 and I'm using TT5, so I'm a bit in the dark here, but I thought that the way that the TT camera warnings now worked was NOT as POIs, but as some other TT-special way, that a) means that they don't detract from the total number of POIs & b) are much less user configurable. Are you saying that the "fartkamera", "Blitzer_AT_70_TomtomOV2.ver" "fartsboks_NO_90", "Kamerat_FI_70", etc. were there from the start? If so, I'm afraid I'd suggest that you wait for someone with a 910 to confirm that these can be removed, just by deleting the files, rather than by some other TT (or Home) method.
But, if you do have 160 OV2s (rather than 80 OV2s & 80 BMPs), I think that will be the reason why you can't see the files you want within the software!

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies.
Of the 182 files in my Western Europe folder, there are 11 "Sundries" and 171 TT camera files. Each TT camera type has THREE files - .bmp, .ov2 and .ver. So I've got 57 varieties of TT cameras, of which only 6 are UK ones (compared with the 24 pgpsw speed zoned varieties).

To answer one question - YES you can delete the foreign Tom Tom cameras, but I'd advise you to copy them onto your PC hard disk first - if you sell it on you can then reinstate them. Personally, I've deleted theTT UK ones because I prefer pgpsw instead. I've kept the foreign ones simply because I don't need the space.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's cut some of the cr*p, sorry, 'confusion' here, and get back to basics....

Back up everything if you haven't already.

Delete everything POI related in your map folder (ov2 / bmp / ogg if you have them)

Check you ONLY have the inbuilt TomTom-provided POIs (Nothing showing when you go to "Delete POI category" in "Manage POI").

Go to THIS website and download ONE POI category file...
Suggest third on the list: http://www.poisoft.co.uk/overlays/nationaltrust.zip

(avoid McDonalds like the plague, and the Halfords one has a possible naming problem (capital and lower-case "H" on the two files, so lets not introduce ANY confusions))
Unzip it on PC to get two files:
National_Trust.ov2 and National_Trust.bmp
Make sure you can see the three letter extensions.

Now copy those to the Europe map folder and see if the POI now appears in "Enable POI category" on the Go.

If all is OK, you can start again with ONE of these umpteen that you downloaded.

How's that sound?
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few responses so if you tolerate me, I'll deal with answers to each one separately so there will be a few posts from me.
DennisN wrote:
topref wrote:

They may appear the same, but they aren't POI files, they are Tom Tom's own camera files which are dealt with differently (by the TT910) from POIs. They show the red map pin icon when viewed in TT Home, but not in Windows Explorer. Sorry, if you look at post 8 timed at 9.26pm I stated that I opened Drive I which is via Explorer NOT TT Home.The camera files from here are the ones "pocketgps_uk_****.ov2" and the associated pocketgps_uk_****.bmp ones. These do not show a red map pin (indeed, do not show the filenames) in TT Home. I'm not looking at them through TT home
It looks to me as though perhaps you are only seeing the Tom Tom cameras and POIs (ATMs). No. These files are named pocketgps and I have been able to set up the Warn when approaching in the unit and I've driven around with it on and they work
In my original backup GO710 Western Europe Map I have 182 files - 8 "sundry" files plus 174 Tom Tom camera files - Autovelox, Blitzer etc. If you added 48 for PGPSW cameras (ov2 and bmp) that's up to 230 files, then additional POIs would increase that total (60 POIs would give 120 files, bringing total to 350 files in the folder).
Please forgive me if I'm asking the stupidly obvious, but is it possible that in drag 'n drop you missed the folder - I ask because I frequently do so! I then end up having to use Win Explorer "Search" to find where I've dropped them!
No, please see above, they are in the Western and Central Europe folder

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: