Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I cant get speed camera alerts onto my i3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I cant get speed camera alerts onto my i3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrString
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: I cant get speed camera alerts onto my i3? Reply with quote

I am new to all this can someone please help me? I have a Garmin i3. I have downloaded the POI loader and paid my subscription but when I downloaded the UK - POIloader i3 Nuvi etc AND the UK single file with all cameras GPX speed camera alerts I cant get them onto my i3. I dont think my PC recognises the files and when I point the POI loader to where the files are stored on my PC it says 'No valid data was found in the specified directory, thus no data was be written'
Somebody please help.
Rgds
Paul Embarassed
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell us the filenames of the files you are pointing POILoader at.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you unzipped the downloaded file and pointed POILoader at the contents or are you poiting POILoader at the ZIP file?

Please try and explain exactly and clearly what you are doing and what happens - errors etc
MrString
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi men,
The downloaded file I have got isn't recognised by my pc. I have tried re-naming the file with .csv on the end with no luck. However I just tried re-naming the file with .ZIP on the end and it seems to have some content so I will point the POI loader to this file tonight and see if I can load my GPS with the data.
I have got WINRAR on my machine and not WINZIP do you think this may have caused the problem, because the original Safety camera database when downloaded wasn't recognised.

Thanks for such a quick response.

Rgds

Paul :D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Can you tell us the filenames of the files you are pointing POILoader at.

... preferably before you start renaming them! :D

First, ensure you can actually SEE the extensions that are there already. I.E. if you look in any other filder, like My Documents, does just about everything that isn't a folder have a three letter extension?
If you can't see them, we can't tell what is going on...

did the archive have a zip extension, no extension, or what?

I'm being pedantic because I know of two possible problems: sometimes the download DOES seem to arrive on some peoples' machine without the .zip extension.
But more often, people haven't got Windows set up properly to show the extensions, so THINK they have to add it, when in fact they are adding a SECOND one. See the problem?

Finally (for now).. are you running Windows XP? If so, you don't need Winzip OR WinRar. Just double click on the archive (or right-click) and select "Extract all"
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use winrar to unzip/extract the files from the downloaded zip file.

this will give you csv's and bmps (and some txt files) that poi loader will 'recognise'

MaFt
MrString
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY! HEY!........All sorted thanks. The download appeared on my PC WITHOUT the .zip extension which confused the hell out of me and my machince could not read the file. All I had to do was re-name the file with a .zip at the end, it turned into a zip file and I simply unzipped it and told the POI loader where the file was and it was uploaded onto my GPS. I don't know if it works yet but I know the files were transferred.

Keep up the good work gang, this is a FANTASTIC and I will defo be recommending it to my mates.

Thanks for all your help, mucho appreciated. It was such a simple thing but for the non 'techy' people like myself, it causes BIG probs.

cheers and all the best

Kind rgds

Paul. :D :D :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: