Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - software updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

software updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: software updates Reply with quote

I realize that the latest Medion unit is a fairly recent release; however, I'm a little worried about the total lack of information regarding any update service. My mailed requests about this issue has come back from the Aldi support desk (they insisted I bark up Navigon's tree) and Navigon ("No, updates are Aldi's responsibility.") empty.

Road networks change, perhaps not so often per location, but in any case certainly at some time somehere there's construction going on. Having a source of both software and mapping updates (free or subscription-based) is not a luxury but a prerequisite.

Should you hear from either Aldi, Medion or Navigon regarding this sore point, then I'm all ears.

Thanks.

P.S. Apart from this blemish, the unit is a dream!

Raff
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fair point and it's always an issue when buying a re-branded product such as this. However, no other PDA mapping application provider offers free or subscription map updates. It's a frequently discussed topic but put simply, you can expect to have to buy a later release of the software, most likely Navigon when it is available if you wish to obtain map updates.
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

My brother-in-law bought the Navman a month ago. Last week he received an email from the place he got it, informing him that the latest mapping software update is available for download, get this, for free at the URL provided.

I'm not so much riled at the fact that we Navigon-users haven't got an update yet; it's the fact that we're getting the run-around (more customers have had similar pillar-to-post experiences) when asking about it.

If a Navigon update becomes available, I have no objection if we need to pay to acquire it, so long as the amount is not too outlandish.

If anyone hears more on this issue from any party concerned, then I'd love to know.

Raff
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're confusing a software update with a mapping data update. Most developers will offer bug fix/software ujdates during the software lifecycle as Navman, Tom Tom and many others have done and continue to do, none offer map updates as yet.
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. A friend of mine got a new car 2+ years ago; included was a VDODayton unit. These people send him a CD of the updated maps once every 6 months or so. Granted, this is not a PDA system, but still, I say that mapping updates are crucial if the navigation software is to remain up to par in terms of accuracy.

In light of this, I feel that a subscription-style method is the way to go for Navigon too. We users are going too easy on them; let's remember that it's only a matter of time before all the construction, all the additions that are going on now will be reflected by confusion, detours and other suprises down the road, simply because the maps in the unit lag behind the real-world.

Raff
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not denying it's a good idea, simply explaining that it's not offered by anyone else in the PDA mapping arena.

In-Car systems such as the VDO are not a fair comparison, they cost upwards of £1500 and the map updates when available are £200+. My Jaguar Satnav had no update for two years and when it was released they wanted £320 for the single pan-european DVD. It's a fact that the map data makes up more than 70% of the cost of the software package. On that basis the updates would cost well in excess of £100 and few users are prepared to pay that when they can buy the latest version with new features etc for little more.
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take your point re the price difference. I didn't realize the maps were that costly to upkeep.

Also, reading the "PocketPC GPS at aldi next week - £349.99" thread, I noticed that the Navigon maps are some of the most recent around, and that you can edit the maps yourself (on your PC) when you've found a discrepancy in the (main) roads and streets.

Raff
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They certainly are the most recent, all the errors and missing roads, new junctions, estates etc that are missing from my copy of TomTom are corrected and present in the Medion/Navigon software.

I also have a copy of Navigon's Map Package and it is identical to the Medion product. The only differences are the icons for POI's are more detailed, petrol stations have a brand icon i.e. Shell or BP but that's the only thing different I can spot.

For all it's pluses I find the interface unintuitive and the colour scheme a little gawdy, railway lines are too similar to roads and whilst the software shows the presence of water features i.e. lakes or canals it's often way off, a canal near to where I live appears on the wrong side of the road for a mile or so and a n on-existent river appears in another area!

Back on the subject of map updates, I think we can expect this to become a hot issue as GPS sales increase, it has until now been a relatively niche product with small volumes selling to early adopters who accept faults more willingly. They are now selling in huge numbers to end users who do no0t expect to have to live with bugs and data errors and will be vocal in their complaints. This can only be a good thing Thumbs Up
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I never considered myself an early adapter ;-) My guess is that you're right, though, about the software being tweaked to perfection over time.

Incidentally, for what it's worth, I've been reading some Dutch forums on other navigation suits; a number of them mentioned getting this erroneous off-ramp-on-ramp loop, so it's not so much a Navigon-bug as an in-car-navigation-as-a-whole bug.

Raff
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to occur most in applications using Navtech data, certainly Destinator used to suffer from it in the earlier versions and Navman SmartST was not immune. Both use Navtech as does Navigon/Medion. TomTom Navigator uses TeleAtlas and does not have this issue (although it has many of it's own!)
216b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope it's not getting too far from the original point - but: how do I tweak the maps? Question
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can tweak the maps in Navigon although you can alter the interface with add on skins, If your German reading isn't that great then I would leave well enough alone and just get used to the navigation program, you will then start to accept whats happening and enjoy it more.
I just make a mental note of what the program is doing or not doing when I am navigating and the more you use it the more you can see how complex the programs are and that we are lucky we have them at all at an affordable price. My Lexus had an installed system which cost 2000 pound and it still fell over and the map updates were nearly as expensive as the car if you subscribed to them all. I changed my car and opted for the stand alone route if you don't like the software you can change it as and when.

tt go 730T
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Both use Navtech as does Navigon/Medion. TomTom Navigator uses TeleAtlas and does not have this issue (although it has many of it's own!)

I have Medion Navigator 4 and it uses Teleatlas data not Navtech. If Navigon 4 uses Navtech data maybe that is why the icons differ?

I also had the previous Aldi bundle (hand-me-down to the wife now) which used Medion Navigator 3, and that was based on Navtech, which for what its worth, I think was better data although the software wasn't as good/informative.

My favourite direction from Navigator 3 was: "In 200 yards prepare to carry straight on". followed by "Now carry straight on" and that was whilst travelling along an A road. I didn't stop laughing for miles, (simple minds are easily amused)
I haven't found any funnies in Navigator 4.... yet.

Jon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: