Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any MUSLIMS out there?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any MUSLIMS out there?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbuEesa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Any MUSLIMS out there? Reply with quote

Peace to you all.

Wondered if there were any Muslims out there who might want to help create a Mosque POI database for the TT Go? I mean a PROPER one covering the whole UK with every single one possible!

In fact, anyone who might help - you're most welcome!

I've been thinking of how to do it but I'm not a huge technophile so I'll need advice and ideas.

I was thinking that if we get the latest 2005 Muslim Directory and then somehow use all the mosque addresses via their postcodes to create their respective GPS co-ordinates and then somehow covert it using the instructions that the moderators have posted? We could split the book into different sections between volunteers or summin?

By the way, many thanks to Dave, Darren, Mike and all the other moderators and posters for creating a truly excellent interface for people to help each other out.

Love to hear from you guys soon. Smile
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Any MUSLIMS out there? Reply with quote

AbuEesa wrote:
create a Mosque POI database for the TT Go? I mean a PROPER one covering the whole UK with every single one possible!

Welcome! Thumbs Up

If you have the addresses of all the Mosques then you can find the co-ordinates using Multimap. Not being a Muslim, I can only think of one Mosque but it does appear to be marked with a Cresent on multimap. It's the fairly large one on Whitechapel road - I don't know if all the Mosques will be marked on the map. Have a look at the map here

Multimap will give you the LAT/LONG of the location, ie: N51:31:03 W0:03:56 - if you can gather all these co-ordinates together then it wouldn't be difficult to format them for import into TomTom or virtually any other GPS mapping application.

Converting the locations into TomTom format is the easy part, the difficult part is finding them all and verifying that the locations are correct.

Good luck! Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great idea but a huge undertaking! Good luck and of course let us know when you have a POI file and we'll post it here.

It may be easier to do your local area and then rally support from other users to map their localities, we can then combine each submission and eventually we'll end up with a complete POI list for all the UK Mosque's Thumbs Up

Last edited by Darren on Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
AbuEesa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys!

I think I'll take that advice then and start in my own local area and use all the addresses I have to get lat/long co-ordinates for each one and then put them together. Hopefully others will help out in their own area. Smile

Actually thanks Darren for that cos' I just remembered that too big a file wouldn't be accessible to TTGO anyway (thats what I seem to remember from that guy who amlagamated all the postcodes into a 48MB file or summin??) so we'd have to do them seperate into areas anyway - right?

So maybe we'll do it like the postcodes:

S, SE, SW, Anglia, Midlands, NW, NE, Wales, and Scotland? I'll start with the North West anyway.

And guys, would I have to create my own POI category or could I not just use the 'Places of Worship' category in the memory already? Are the pre-defined categories able to take larger MB?

Finally (remember, just a newbie...) how exactly should I note down the mosque name against its appropriate lat/long co-ordinates so its totally simple to convert later to TTGo? Do I just have a 2-columned table in Word or summin? Please don't tell me anything more difficult than that cos' I'll faint.......! 8O

Thanks again!

Matt (Abu Eesa)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to create a new Custom POI Category as you cannot add to or ammend any of the pre-loaded POIs.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have Autoroute (I have 2005 and it definitely works with that) then you could use the address to make a Pushpin, then use the Location Sensor in the Tools menu to find the Lat/Long. Save all your Pushpins as an .axe file then use Oldie's converter programme (I use V3), which you can get from here. to turn the .axe file into an .ov2 file.

Good luck, and I will supply the co-ordinates of the Mosque nearest to me (Crawley, W. Sussex) to get you started (the next time I drive by).
AbuEesa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim....you're a star.

I KNEW there had to be a way using Autoroute! Anyway, my ones an old one so this is a good excuse for me to get the 2005 version and then get my teeth into all this .axe and .ov2 stuff. Rolling Eyes

Naturally, expect plenty of silly questions over the next few weeks....

Wink
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here for a website listing over 1500 mosques. It's an international listingby the looks. You can search by town, postcode, etc.. As an example I put in RH as the postcode and sure enough it turned up the one I expected, and a couple of others, too.

The Crawley Islamic Centre and Mosque is at approx. coordinates

51.13083, -0.18620

Good luck in your mission, should you choose to accept it. Exclamation
Muazam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Mosque POI Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone had any luck? I've started copying all the mosques with addresses (street, town postcode) in the UK and would use something like mappoint to do the postcode pushpins and from that get the gps points... tried to get a list from www.islamicfinder.org but I don`t think they new what I meant! Confused
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Wonderwall, is this your idea of a joke? I, for one, heartily disaprove!
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a moderator coming on Crying or Very sad

The Moderator came, and after discussion it was felt that the best course of action was to delete Wonderwall's post, which was originally two above this one. I've also deleted my own subsequent post which quoted Wonderwall's message, including the link, but have left his(?) apology in place. If we can stick to topic on this, it would be appreciated. Tim
Wonderwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh do accept my apologies......I was writing 3 different replys at once on various boards......Im very sorry about that.....I meant to say on this one........"Is that link correct as I did I search and it says there are 114 mosques in Brum cant be that many??"......once again do accept my apologies.......
Muazam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Mosque POI - again Reply with quote

Wonderwall - 114 mosuqes is about right, remeber they are sometimes houses.

Anyhow, does anyone know how I can extract via php or something the list of moques from islamicfinder.org or the salaam.co.uk list and dump that to a csv?

Or better still AbuEsa - do you have your POI aviailble?
AbuEesa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That POI list was created ages ago. You can get it from www.islamiblog.blogspot.com.
shahodud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Greeeaaat masjid mosque POI Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks a ton for this link. Never again do I have to miss a prayer (salat) in a masjid (mosque).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: