Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - post xmas 910 questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

post xmas 910 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: post xmas 910 questions Reply with quote

firstly i hope everyone had a great christmas.

i took the plunge and upgraded from a TT Classic to a 910 for crimbo and have got a few questions i need your expert help on...

when i got the classic a couple of years ago it was like fort knoxx to get into and had to register before i could do anything with it. the 910 is the opposite, opened the box, turned it on and away you go. only had to decide what map i wanted to use and set the time.
is this the norm for the 910? i hav'nt had to enter any personel details or activation codes at all.

its running version 6.110, do i need to update the software and wheres the best place to do that?

this one is the main reason i started this thread and ill try not to be too long winded.... speed cameras Rolling Eyes
on the classic Go i had theese files loaded:
uk gatso ov2 117kb
gatso 20-158kb, 30-25.5kb, 40-8.98kb, 50-4.53kb, 60-2.26kb, 70-1.08kb,
TBA-64.8kb, mobile 30-4.12kb, mobile 40-1.33kb, mobile 50-614byte, mobile 60-1.04kb, mobile 70-903byte, mobile TBA-22.8kb, uk red light-28.4kb, uk spec-3.42kb and uk temp-1.39kb

but on the 910 there is only:
safety cam uk30-51kb, uk40-24kb, uk50-10kb, uk60-5kb, uk70-3kb and uk other-2kb. there are loads of files for other cameras around the world that i dont need but only these few for the uk.

i ve got the 1 month free TT Plus service traffic and safety cameras but i dont want to activate that until i know i will be doing a long journey and that wont be til feb.
is the tom tom plus service worth it if i only do on average 6 long journeys a year and also can the old ov2 files from the classic be used on the 910 by dragging and dropping into tom tom home.

thanks in advance guys and gals and heres wishing you all a
happy new year.
jim
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the speedcams, read here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=50340
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch on and go is normal.

Latest software is 6.522 and you get it by installing Tom Tom HOME program on your computer, then running it with the GO connected. It will download the update, which you then have to install on the GO by clicking on INSTALL.

The cameras you are seeing are all the Tom Tom ones (the "Other" includes any mobiles, temporaries and anything else) and they'll be as old as whenever they were loaded into the GO, just like the software - probably several months, certainly much older than the ones you get for free (and which are updated very regularly) when you subscribe to join this site.

Spend an age reading all the posts about Traffic and then decide whether to subscribe to it. Personally, I've decided to stick with Radio 5 Live!

As for Tom Tom's cameras - it's a subscription service for updates and you may find it no cheaper than membership of this forum. They advise you by e-mail of updates, which you then have to download. I have no experience of the accuracy of the TT cameras, but it seems most people on this forum believe them to be far less accurate than the Pocketgpsworld ones. What's more, unlike the ones here, you cannot alter the distance at which you get an audible warning, nor can you change the warning sound you get.

I think you will probably find that although the Tom Tom Traffic is free for a month (except for the bluetooth GPRS mobile phone costs), the cameras are NOT and need to be updated via a Tom Tom Plus service subscription.
I don't know if it is so, but it would not be a surprise to me if you found that the free month of traffic starts from the date you first set up the GO.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply DennisN

Quote:
Latest software is 6.522 and you get it by installing Tom Tom HOME program on your computer, then running it with the GO connected. It will download the update, which you then have to install on the GO by clicking on INSTALL.

i done a backup the first time i connected the 910 and downloaded all the latest updates but the go is still showing version 6,110. ill try again.

Quote:
The cameras you are seeing are all the Tom Tom ones (the "Other" includes any mobiles, temporaries and anything else) and they'll be as old as whenever they were loaded into the GO, just like the software - probably several months, certainly much older than the ones you get for free (and which are updated very regularly) when you subscribe to join this site.

the only ones im worried about are the traffic light cameras and the motorway ones that measure your speed between two cameras.
i last updated the Go classic about 18 months ago and they were free from a link on this site so they will be well out of date now.

Quote:
As for Tom Tom's cameras - it's a subscription service for updates and you may find it no cheaper than membership of this forum. They advise you by e-mail of updates, which you then have to download. I have no experience of the accuracy of the TT cameras, but it seems most people on this forum believe them to be far less accurate than the Pocketgpsworld ones. What's more, unlike the ones here, you cannot alter the distance at which you get an audible warning, nor can you change the warning sound you get.

ive also read about the tom tom updates not being as acurate as the ones from this site. this site has been very helpfull over the last 2 years so i think ill stick to whats best.
not sure whats happened to all my old posts but when i posted this thread it said i only had 1 post. any idea if previous posts get wiped after a while.(user name and password worked still tho).

Quote:
I think you will probably find that although the Tom Tom Traffic is free for a month (except for the bluetooth GPRS mobile phone costs), the cameras are NOT and need to be updated via a Tom Tom Plus service subscription.
I don't know if it is so, but it would not be a surprise to me if you found that the free month of traffic starts from the date you first set up the GO.

it came with a credit card with the activation codes for europe and north america and is also the activation for the PLUS service so i wont enter them until i know im doing a long journey.

thanks for your help and have a happy new year.
jim
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
Re the speedcams, read here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=50340

thanks for the link.
i think ill stick to dragging and dropping for now.
even tho ive done a full update using home it still says im running a older version.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect your device to the PC in TomTom Home select Install to TomTom the middle section should list the software on your PC next to 6,522 will be a checkbox, select this then press the install button, the download is automatic, but the actual update to the device requires manual intervention - Mike
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mike.
after the third attempt it has now loaded the new software.
one thing i have noticed thats strange is about the uk speed cameras that were pre loaded.
since ive got the new update software to load all the speed cameras are missing on screen. they are not in the poi menu either.
they are in the map file and also when i do a demo trip the cameras show up with a warning on screen.
any ideas whats happening.

for now i think ill take the old cameras i had on the classic and drag them over to the 910.

cheers
jim
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure about the TT cameras, perhaps TomTom have reverted back to using normal POI files for the cameras they supply, there have been a couple of posts on this subject earlier today - I cannot confirm this as I only rely upon the best database for Speed Camera Protection Wink - Mike
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Mike
just a bit odd that they were there before i updated to version 6.522 but are no where in site on the go now not even when you look in the poi.

oh well. i think ill be taking your advice and subscribing Wink on here to the updates. at least you can change the warning distance to the cameras.

and theres me thinking that upgrading to the 910 would be a lot easier using it after the 2 years of the classic go. at least ive still got over 11gb of space left on the hard drive so no worries about buying bigger sd cards this time.
regards
jim
gotom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:
thanks mike.
after the third attempt it has now loaded the new software.
one thing i have noticed thats strange is about the uk speed cameras that were pre loaded.
since ive got the new update software to load all the speed cameras are missing on screen. they are not in the poi menu either.
they are in the map file and also when i do a demo trip the cameras show up with a warning on screen.
any ideas whats happening.
cheers
jim

Version 6.520 of the firmware made changes to the way that built in Tom Tom cameras work. They do not appear as POI's anymore but will still show up when driving or doing a route demo if you select (Main Menu 3 of 3) TOM TOM PLUS SERVICES... SAFETY CAMERA WARNINGS... ENABLE WARNINGS.

Incidentally, if you explore your Tom Tom from My Computer in Windows (rather than with Tom Tom Home) then you will see the Tom Tom Cameras are still actually installed as POI's in your Western Europe map folder.

You can find out more about what changes the new firmware makes by going to www.tomtom.com/6141
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks gotom
exactly what i needed to know (i didnt think i was going mad)
sometimes i wonder if all the new software updates are worth it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: