Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom TMC - Areas of Service / No Service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom TMC - Areas of Service / No Service
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m623d wrote:
I previously had the Pioneer AVIC-X1R in my car and it always got a signal for TMC, so the issue cant be with the signal strength. .
An in inbuilt system stands a far better chance of good reception, for a start it has an external aerial, it could also have been using Traffic Master data rather than iTIS Holdings, both these Traffic data providers use different frequencies with transmitters at different locations and power levels so its not a genuine like for like comparison. That said the RDS-TMC unit could be considerably better, the lack of external aerial connection is a major hindrance, coupling an external feed as described at the start of this thread does improve the situation BUT you will have no warranty once/ if you try it.

m623d wrote:
Also, I read on here that you can manually tune the TMC, but I cant find out how, it just cycles continuously round the freq.
Have a read through This which details the manual tune and functions within the 6,522 software version (I assume you have the latest software on the 910?) - Mike
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" details the manual tune"

Sadly experience shows that a frequency manually tuned is only held for a few seconds - after which the search starts again.

It give the receiver precious little time to lock on to the station and is thus a useless 'improvement'.

It's hard to beleive that anyone working for TomTom in the UK has ever tried to use one of these devices.

Tony
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know, I have updated the "How To" guide to a single connection system based on the general feedback from this forum. The picture now shows the core going to the correct pad on the TMC receiver to save the confusion. There is also a little diagram to make it simpler I hope. This new one is version 2 and replaces the old link on page 1 of this thread.

You can get it here too.

http://www.pocketgpspoi.com/downloads/How_To_Modify_Your_TomTom_TMC_Receiver.pdf

Hope this makes things clearer. Wink
jamiepyoung
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the new "how to" guide. Much clearer.

A quick questionf or you electronics types out there - will these 'boosters' do the same as the amplifier, and are they safe to use with the TomTom?

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/antenna_adaptors.htm

items PC5-52, PC5-90 & PC5-91.

Thanks.
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamiepyoung wrote:
Thanks for the new "how to" guide. Much clearer.

A quick questionf or you electronics types out there - will these 'boosters' do the same as the amplifier, and are they safe to use with the TomTom?

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/antenna_adaptors.htm

items PC5-52, PC5-90 & PC5-91.

Thanks.

They are not actually boosters. What they do is allow an amplified antenna to be used with a standard head-unit. e.g. standard passat head unit provides power along the antenna lead to the powered antenna (with built-in amp). A replacement head-unit doesn't provide the power, so this adapter enables the power to be added without frying the new headunit. If you need to use one of these, make sure the TMC receiver is NOT connected to the powered side of the adapter, or it could get expensive. 8O These devices merely mix/separate the power to the active antenna and the signal from the antenna to the head-unit.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Gizmo, I was about to order one thinking it was a neat amplifier. Embarassed
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
Thanks for that Gizmo, I was about to order one thinking it was a neat amplifier. Embarassed

Don't worry I nearly made the same mistake until I took a closer look at the ones they had in Halfords.
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: My tale of woe Reply with quote

Back in Dec I got the Hirchmann antenna, wired it up, worked a treat, Steve was a happy bunny.

Early Jan we decided to get the car valetted. I stripped everything out the car just incase it got damaged. The guy finished and I decided to throw everything back in.

On putting everything back in the TMC reciever started playing silly , infact it managed to fool the 910 that it was the new modulator mount! I even phoned MikeA!!

It turns out the TMC reciever had gone to TMC heaven so I went and bought another. Got it back home, TT spotted it fine so I decided to open it up, solder in the antenna and jobs a good'n - so I thought.

The reciever didn't pick up a dickie bird, wouldn't lock to anything. I couldn't believe my bad luck.

So I bought ANOTHER TMC reciever and a new amplified antenna just incase the other died (I did test it at work on our spectrum analyser and it was fine anyway)

Tonight, wired it up and still nothing, I'm so damn annoyed its un-true.

Whilst we had mk2 at work tinkering with it, trying to get the damn thing working we believe we'd got what could be a theory behind why this "mod" works.

The MK1 TMC reciever I had used open core SMD inductors on both sides of the boards, these are notoriously "leaky", this we know because we've used them in the past in our oscillators and have caused us no end of troubles. The MK2 & 3 both used sealed inductors, more like what we use in our oscillators. We think by injecting radio signal on the board its being picked up through these open core inductors. We cannot think of any other reason.

I really don't know what I'm going to do now, I'm tempted to throw the whole lot in the bin and buy another brand!
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

have you any idea why why the first receiver died? eg could it have been rough handling when it was removed? I'm asking because i'm trying to put my setup together so it's movable between 3 vehicles. Also just as a matter of interest, could you explain the difference between the two TMC receivers in laymans terms, (the simpler the better Laughing )

Many thanks

Malcolm
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Malc,

Yes, the differences are easy to describe. The inductors are the 3 white components near the wires on one side of the board and these 1 on the side you solder the to. The open core one's you can see the copper wire windings around the iron core. The sealed one's you can't. Also inductors can be wound both horizontally and vertically, this itself can cause funnies!

Hope this helps,
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot to say I don't think it was heavy handedness, I work with SMD components every day and use caution and take static precautions when handling them.

Jamie, the above is why I haven't been in touch about what to bring to solder the wire in place. Sorry I should of said. If you still want something soldering in please give me a call, number on http://on-trak.onspec.co.uk/ (Look out for a review by MikeA on this site soon!)
LincsMale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom TMC Reception Reply with quote

I was actually shocked yesterday. I got reception for most of my trip to and from work. Today however, it only worked going to work. I did attach a wire to that pad in the TMC unit which seems to have helped a bit. I can't do anything else as I want to be able to move my unit between cars.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I just attach a single wire (any single core wire?) to that pad mentioned, I will have greatly improved reception?
How long does the wire need to be and how are you placing it in your cars? The original TT wire it long enough to look a mess, but then to have another strewn across the car?
I also need to have a removable system and can't use the radio aerial due to access problems.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M623d

Although some people have reported improvements with just a wire, I think you need to find someway of using an external aerial for consistantly improved results. a wire only didn't do much for me i a plastic bodied Espace without a treated windscreen. I've seen a clip-on window mount FM aerial somewhere on the web, but I can't find it again!

Quote:

How long does the wire need to be and how are you placing it in your cars?

I'v seen a theoreticle length of 29.5" mentioned. Placement is truly trial and error
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a trip upto Stirling, Scotland today from Grimsby area.
Unmoddified TMC
Nothing around Lincolnshire, but once on the A1 near Leeds it locked on for about 3 quarters of the way to Scotch corner, Intermittent on the A66, but continuous from the M6 all the way upto Stirling. Came a slightly different way back and still got a lock, with very few black spots.
No traffic reported on my route, and there wasn't any.
Completely opposite to when I went to London last weekend, then I only got 1 lock around Peterborough and that was it.
it must've worked today for about 75% of the 650 miles I did.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 12 of 20

Jump to: