Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom TMC - Areas of Service / No Service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom TMC - Areas of Service / No Service
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl, attaching extra cables to the device does require opening the TMC unit and using a soldering iron etc. That is why we always mention the warranty issues to anyone contemplating such a move.

For what it is worth my set up was working receiving TMC data from just North of the M1 roadwork’s until the first tunnel section on the M25 heading towards Dartford, it regained TMC about 5 miles further around the M25 and remained tuned all the way to Ashford in Kent.

I would like to get hold of a plug and socket - the same type that is fitted to the RDS-TMC unit and make up and extension cable to see if this method could be used to assist the reception, searching for that style/ type of connector has not proven easy as yet, if anyone knows of such a plug/ socket and supplier? Please let me know - Mike
plant
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the cost of the unit and the benefits in having it working properly, I'd happily live with voiding the warranty - I'm just such a numpty with a soldering iron!

Sad
AVRHack2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:
Quote:
(i.e. it's free!)

No it isn't

Remember the cost of the receiver in the UK includes the subscription to the traffic data,

For each receiver sold TomTom pay £xx of the cost to the TMC provider.

So it is not a free service.

You're right of course Vicky.

My point is that, having bought it, we've lost our influence as there is no more revenue from us to come, or threat of cancellation to make. All we can do is cite the bad publicity that we can generate......
ukjay1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if i soilder a normal arial plug on the tmc, inner core to furthest place on the board from the wires and buy a powered arial, wire to the 12 volt supply and just plug in the arial connects that will work.

sorry bit of a div at electronics

jason
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, That sounds about right to me, its what I have done and found it to work in the same way as the others who have tried it. The board is very small, so if you are not too good at soldering you might want to find someone to do this for you. Dont forget bye-bye waranty if you do this - Mike

Last edited by mikealder on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ukjay1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jason, That sounds about right to me, its what I have done and found it to work in the same way as the others who have tried it. The board is very small, so if you are not too good at soldering you might want to find someone to do this for you. Dont forget bye-bye waranty if you do this - Mike

did it make much difference ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
In the hire car (with no external feed just the "extra" coax lead) I have received TMC data for in excess of 90% of this trip, very impressive - previous runs on the same roads prior to modification often gave less than 40% TMC data over the trips duration.
A very large improvement as far as I am concerned. If I use the unit at home without the amplified aerial I get no TMC, plug in the Hirschmann and its fine picking up data very quickly. For most other areas I have tried the unit in, the extra wire without the aerial is sufficient, only in very weak signal strength areas does the external feed make that final little bit more signal available and a working TMC unit - Mike
ukjay1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that i will go and get the bits and give it a go
nicrun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my bad English ! Embarassed

while testing using an ohmmeter the contacts, I realize that only the contact external of the antenna is cabled:

the central contact of the antenna is cabled on none the contacts of the stereo jack 2.5.
I put myself the question about the defect of this cable!
Is this normal that only one contact is operational (heart of coax or masses?) ?

I would begin my tests Thursday initially by welding a jack onto J2.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicrun, What device is that cable for? - it certainly won't fit to the TomTom mount or the TMC receiver plug, for a start the main pin of the connector should have four connections, and there is an outer barrel that contains two other connections within it (both of these are used with the TMC unit) - Mike
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - it's a standard car aerial y splitter cable. It's produced by GNS for their range of GPS/TMC receivers (in fact, GNS produce 3 different versions with different connectors on the end of the y - a phono (chinch), a 2.5mm 3pin and a 3.5mm 4 pin connector). It's commonly available from Navigon and a variant for the Mio range.

The other connectors are Fakra connectors, which is 1 of the 3 types of car aerial connection used in the UK (the other two being coax phono (the old traditional one, and not the same type of phono as the above phono connector), and the Motorola / DIN version), although I'm not sure GNS support all of these types (although Garmin do with their GTM10).

So, the connector is simply a y splitter - certainly a number of Garmin users have used this y cable to connect onto the GTM10/11 with a small piece of coax cable with the right connectors on each end to join the two bits of kit together.

nicrun - I would expect the inner part of the aerial connector to be connected to one of the inner part of the 3 pin plug...
andypenn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
I have been following this topic as I got a TMC unit for my 910 quite early on, I am in the SW london area and reception was patchy at best so yesterday got out the soldering iron.

I attached a single core thin wire about 2 mtrs long to the furthest pad from the 4 wires, This i then took out of the car from the TMC unit under the door rubber and along the car gutter the up the existing roof aerial just fixed in place with tape (work van so looks are not important).

I now get a fix within 2 mins of getting in and starting up and so far have not lost it (although I normally stay around south london within the M25).

A well worth inprovment thanks to all for the instructions.

Cheers Andy Penn
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Mike - it's a standard car aerial y splitter cable. It's produced by GNS for their range of GPS/TMC receivers .........It's commonly available from Navigon and a variant for the Mio range.
I appreciate what it is, but this thread is / was TomTom specific and I still cannot see how that could be connected to a TomTom TMC unit.

As for the lack of connection, have the manufacturers placed a capacitor in series with the centre contact to prevent DC coupling when using amplified aerials? - it could explain why a simple continuity check shows open circuit - Mike
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
this thread is / was TomTom specific and I still cannot see how that could be connected to a TomTom TMC unit.
Ah, I see. I assumed it could be directly soldered onto the TMC unit like the other splitter solutions..

Quote:
As for the lack of connection, have the manufacturers placed a capacitor in series with the centre contact to prevent DC coupling when using amplified aerials? - it could explain why a simple continuity check shows open circuit - Mike
That may well be true, especially because it's got the Fakra connectors on it - these are often used by manufacturers (such as VW) who have a powered amp in the circuit, and send a voltage up the aerial feed. It might well only work when plugged in and the radio is turned on...
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also tried the mod for the TMC device as sugested in this forum and can confirm a big improvement in reception.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 10 of 20

Jump to: