Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FM Transmitters
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Transmitters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: FM Transmitters Reply with quote

Hi,

For anyone who's interested, I've just bought a FM Wireless Transmitter from a BP Petrol Station for £6.99 which I've used with my Nuvi 660, works a treat , & worked ok with my Phone too, sounded so much better through the Cars Speakers!!!

Cheers

MarkieT.

Garmin 660FM
Nuvi 3598 LMT D - Firmware 4.40
iPhone 5S CoPilot Live
snowboardcriminal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted i just paid £20 for the belkin one, mind you our local BP has just been caught cloneing to the tune of £300K!!

There are things that I know and you don't know, there are things that you know that i don't know, but always remember there is much that we both don't know.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In using one of these, is it just a case of connecting the FM transmitter to the earphone socket in the 660 and after swiching on, just tuning the radio to one of the preset frequencies? And is it the same with the mobile phone.
Have just ordered a Technet one from Amazon for 0.01p plus a bit of postage!! Deal or no deal!
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowboardcriminal wrote:
Gutted i just paid £20 for the belkin one, mind you our local BP has just been caught cloneing to the tune of £300K!!

Sorry to hear that you paid £20 for yours, and not good about your local BP Station, makes you wonder who you can trust!!!

dougproctor wrote:
In using one of these, is it just a case of connecting the FM transmitter to the earphone socket in the 660 and after swiching on, just tuning the radio to one of the preset frequencies? And is it the same with the mobile phone. Have just ordered a Technet one from Amazon for 0.01p plus a bit of postage!! Deal or no deal!

Yes, it's just as you said, easy as pie!! I also have my Works PDA/Phone Connected to the 660 & it's great hearing it coming through the Car Speakers, the only problem ( for me that is) is that I used to have my PDA/Phone & 660 Pretty close to each other, with the FM Transmitter you get interference from the Phone on the Radio, so I've had to move my Phone to somewhere else in the car, so it now works Great!!

If only there was a Fix for the MP3 Playing on the Unit, in that it pauses the Music for Navigation, but doesn't when you get a Speed Camera Alert, that make it a bit of a pain when your listening to a Audio Book in MP3 Format!!

Anyway, I do like the FM Transmitter, well worth the £6.99 I paid, but even better if you can get it cheaper!!!

Cheers

MarkieT.

Garmin 660FM
Nuvi 3598 LMT D - Firmware 4.40
iPhone 5S CoPilot Live
Jose6000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my head unit has a AUX input, so i just plug my nivi into that, no worries at all :D
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, MarkieT, for the info. Cheap is good, the only problem is the delivery estimate is between the 17th and 30th Jan!! Will have forgotten what I ordered it for by then!
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Nother question! If I have my phone bluetooth connected to the Nuvi and the Nuvi FM transmittered to the radio, will any incoming calls come out on the radio?
Doug
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - if you plug anything into the Headphone socket on the Nuvi, it turns off the internal speaker, and sends all sounds - beeps, mp3s, navigation details and the incoming call to that socket. You will need to keep your radio tuned to the right frequency, but then everything will come out of the speakers.
philai3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the quality like on the BP transmitter? I've got two, an no-make £20 one, and the Belkin Tunecast II, and, to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with the quality from both. On quiet songs, there is too much interference, because I have to have my car stereo turned up quite loud, and my MP3 player is also near top of the volume scale.
Renault Scenic with inbuilt Carminat Tom-Tom April 2013
Renault Clio
Mazda MX5 2010
apollock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philai3 wrote:
What's the quality like on the BP transmitter? I've got two, an no-make £20 one, and the Belkin Tunecast II, and, to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with the quality from both. On quiet songs, there is too much interference, because I have to have my car stereo turned up quite loud, and my MP3 player is also near top of the volume scale.

Phil,

I have the Tunecast II - The problem with interferance is due to the number of FM channels in your area, and how close they are to each other (on the dial). I have a real problem, 'cause when I am in Northern Ireland, the reception is good (on my chosen wavelength) by as I travel into the Republic, there are so many hicksville radio stations, that I get tonnes of interferance.

Al
geedee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: FM Transmitter Reply with quote

I have read somewhere that there is now a Sat Nav unit with inuilt fm to run via the car speakers.

I know Garmin do one for the Sates, but their frequencies are not available in Europe.

Does anyone know which unit this is.
snowboardcriminal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just googled "fm frequencies" and found a list of what stations broadcast on which frequencies, and picked four that have some daylight between them. Sorry i cant remeber the site, but you are all big boys and girls so you'll find it! Have had no problems so far both local driving and going east and up north.

There are things that I know and you don't know, there are things that you know that i don't know, but always remember there is much that we both don't know.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: FM Transmitter Reply with quote

geedee wrote:
I have read somewhere that there is now a Sat Nav unit with inuilt fm to run via the car speakers.

I know Garmin do one for the Sates, but their frequencies are not available in Europe.

Does anyone know which unit this is.

i believe tomtom do a mount with a fm tuner integrated in it for the x10 series...
geedee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: FM Transmitter Reply with quote

Thanks Zogman,

Unfortunately I do not thinks the size of the TT is suitable for my pocket and the unit requires a screen mount.

I did call Garmin just now and they say that the 650 has the FM transmitter disabled for Europe and it is not possible to re-enable it,even though it is now legal in the UK.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: