Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New to all this.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New to all this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: New to all this. Reply with quote

Hi guys. My wife has just given me a Garmin StreetPilot c510 for my birthday. And having played with it for a day I found your site via the Garmin site. Which can only be a very good recommendation.

I have updated the the 510 from the garmin site with the latest downloads and downloaded the latest POI installer. I then signed up for this site and downloaded the speed camera files. I`m assuming the single file with all cameras GPX is the one I'm after. And duly loaded that into my 510.

Couple of questions with regards all this. Does the new POI database generate a spped camera icon for the cameras. Because at present it appears that all it shows is a small silver ball. What should the warning consist of? Just audio, or should there be some sort of visual warning as well.

I have also tried to use Ash's camera manager but without any luck at all. It just sits in my system tray not appearing to do anything. I click on it and it opens up the page where you can adjust the values states that the current version is Speed Camera Database Version 4.123 13 Dec 2006 and that it was last checked on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:09:01.

Click on OK and it minimizes back to the tray. On checking the C/:Garmin folder I find that there is no POI file and no indication of what I`m suppose to do now. I have read the sticky file, all 13 pages, but its definetly for the more advanced user. Is there an idiots guide? Or can someone point me in the right direction, please.

Thanks for any help, Nigel
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have updated the the 510 from the garmin site with the latest downloads and downloaded the latest POI installer. I then signed up for this site and downloaded the speed camera files. I`m assuming the single file with all cameras GPX is the one I'm after. And duly loaded that into my 510.

There are two downloads that I would suggest:-
either the one called the [POI loader i3/nuvi]
or the one called 'Zonned'[my choice]

I would not use the GPX file.

For using the database on the PC use the .gdb file/
paul3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: New to all this Reply with quote

Hey Cop,

I recently purchased a 510d. Like you, I found this site through Garmin, which I'm very pleased and grateful for, because the help is extremely fast and good.

I had a query on which file to download regarding the speed cameras. So I downloaded 'UK - Speed Zone Complete (24 files)' from this site. I have only been out on a short journey and not passed fixed camera sites yet. So regarding 'fixed sites' I cannot comment as yet. But with mobile sites, as you approach the position of where the camera has been marked in the past, you receive audio warnings and also a bar at the top of the screen telling you the speed limit and also that it's a mobile unit in red.

Also I've noticed you've downloaded other POI's. I've also done this with a large-sized POI file, and after downloading this onto my Garmin, I then went in to check that it was on the unit and found that it had taken off the previously installed PGPSW Police camera file. What I'm trying to warn you about is: the unit does not tell you that it will wipe something off if there is not enough memory spare.
At first I could not understand this, then realised by inserting my SD card, and through the POI loader directing my PC to download to the SD card - it kept the more important police info on the unit and secondary info on the SD card.

I also found that the Garmin asks you (when you turn the unit on with the SD card left in), if you would like to transfer the info from card to unit. DO NOT transfer this because it will erase the info on the unit's memory - without telling you!

Sorry I can't help with your second question, but somebody will!

Hope this helps!
Paul.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10's utility puts the files in the poi directory that poi loader last used.

if you run poi loader again it will put these converted files onto your garmin - be patient though, it takes quite a while and you may think that it has hung, even windows thinks it has hung, but it will add the files to the garmin. you will also alwyas have an icon on screen.

if you don't want to use Ash10's utility then the 2 best choices are speed zoned (seperate icon for each speed) or consolidated by type (one icon for gatso, whatever the speed etc)

MaFt
Cop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the tips guys. Have it working a treat now. Just not to impressed with the max volume from the speakers. Other than that its a cracking piece of kit.

My mates has the tom tom and we had them side by side on the way home. Several advantages over his were noted. The screen is clearer and the way the info is displayed much easier to follow. The proximity/camera alarm is better and the GPS plotting seemed to be more precise. The only edge the Tom Tom had was with the volume which was much better.

Yes I think the wife made very good choice.
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: New to all this Reply with quote

paul3 wrote:
Also I've noticed you've downloaded other POI's. I've also done this with a large-sized POI file, and after downloading this onto my Garmin, I then went in to check that it was on the unit and found that it had taken off the previously installed PGPSW Police camera file. What I'm trying to warn you about is: the unit does not tell you that it will wipe something off if there is not enough memory spare

Paul the over write of your previous data may not necessarily be a result of space issues but could be a quirk of the way Garmin loads cvs files. try to load all POI's at once (from one place/file i.e in one hit ! ) This is recommended on the Garmin website FAQ

paul3 wrote:
I also found that the Garmin asks you (when you turn the unit on with the SD card left in), if you would like to transfer the info from card to unit. DO NOT transfer this because it will erase the info on the unit's memory - without telling you!

Your second point has happened to me also after loading the PGPSW camera database, I'm going to try and remove SD card before downloading the camera database to see if I can get rid of that annoying message everytime I swith on unit!

Rgds

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: