Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installing speedcam software on Medion GoPal PNA460
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing speedcam software on Medion GoPal PNA460
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teresam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Installing speedcam software on Medion GoPal PNA460 Reply with quote

Anybody know how to do this? Just got the MOREPOI cd from Medion but no instructions with or on on the CD. would be grateful for any help. Confused
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for poi warning you need poi obsever from http://www.navigating.de/cms/index.php?id=708 this will alow you to use the pocketgpsworld.com speed camera database Wink

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
teresam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - just had a look - I think that's what on the CD but I don't know where the files go - do I just copy them onto the SD card or do they need to go into any particular folder?
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think that this unit was available yet. It look really nice. I have a GoPal PNA350 and it was necessary to download POI-Warner software from navigating.de. If you need to do this take it slowly because there are a number of Medion versions. I installed the wrong version and it proved hard to uninstall fully. Medion support were not well informed on sat navs but I suspect that you have a really good unit. Did you get a mains charger? That was my biggest complaint.
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed camera database is available from POI-Handler and the subscription is around £8.50 pa. You need the POI-Warner software from navigating.de installed properly first. You can download most POIs for free- make sure you stick to the ones marked UK. There was a charge for POI-Warner.(Possibly things are different for the latest models though.) I see there's a Berlitz component too. I didn't find POIs easy to get to grips with but the POI-Warner software is brilliant. You'll get more help from navigating.de than Medion. Medion's response to my enquiries was that they can't guarantee compatibility with POI-Warner software.
teresam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered direct from Medion a couple of weeks ago but I think they are waiting for new stock again now. Really pleased with it - works really well with clear instructions and lovely clear screen.

My only complaint is that the speedcam software was supposed to come pre-installed which it didn't and when I told them they just sent this CD with the speedcam database on it but with no instructions and I don't know how to install it. Doesn't come with a mains charger - you have buy as an extra.
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not well versed in sat navs but in my case I had to download and install POI-Warner. There was a voucher in the box from Medion. Maybe the program is ready installed on your 465. If you have a card reader check and see if there's a POI-Warner folder. If not, you'll have tinstall the program yourself. The installations lead to a small green square which appears on the sat nav screen when you select navigation. Touching the green square allows you to access the POI-Warner control screen. There's all sorts of Registration codes, Transaction numbers, User names and Passwords to be entered. You can then see on your PNA what POIs are available for download. Normally you won't be able to access the speed cameras unless you have subscribed on the POI-Handler site. When you do so the speed camera types can be selected too.

It may be different with the latest models. Life would be much easier if the software was pre installed. Look for the green square and maybe you will be able to get everything working. If they said that the speed cameras were preinstalled I reckon they probably are.[/b]
teresam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice Bazz. Definitely not pre-installed although it should have been - when I told Medion a couple of days ago they said they would send the CD, which they did, but absolutely no instructions! Anyway, armed with your info - I'll have another go at it tomorrow.
Will let you know how I get on.
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at my storage card and was surprised to find that there was no sign of POI-Warner, although I'm sure there was a folder there when I installed the wrong version. You link the computer and sat nav by installing Active Sync and setting up a partnership via the usb lead. After linking them up I went to My Computer where the sat nav appears as a Mobile Device and found a folder named Program Files containing POIwarner.

If POI-Warner's not installed on your 465 I think the version you need is most probably the one on this link (which mentions a free offer on accessing speed camera locations)

http://www.navigating.de/cms/index.php?id=2575

Best of luck.
teresam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it working. Copied all the files on the CD sent by Medion to the install directory on the SD card then done a hard reset. Didn't work first time but after second attempt the little green square appeared like you said.
All working fine now
Thanks for all the advice.
Bevvo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Medion Go pal 350 Reply with quote

Having major problems getting the POI warner software to show up on the Medion PNA 350. Download and install goes fine but when the 'Start Monitoring' is pressed the sat nav freezes or the software seems to disappear. It still shows on the storage card but the opening desktop screen remains as before, as do the maps with no green light and no obvious way to access the POI warner programme.

Any suggestions welcomed. Question
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to check is that you have the correct version of POI-Warner for your particular mapping software. I laboured tirelessly and fruitlessly to install GoPal Navigator when I needed the Medion Navigator 5.1 version. If that's the problem, and it's probably the most likely one, you'll need to uninstall the incorrect version and get a link from navigating.de to enable you to download the right one. The uninstall is quite a pain because you have to do it from the original set up program.

After a successful install of the correct version touching the Navigation button should bring up a small green square bottom right of the screen. Touching that enables you to access the POI-Warner control screen which you lose after closing it down.

It is worth getting the program working properly, especially if you want safety camera alerts. You can subscribe to access these on the poihandler site. Best of luck.
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be helpful to others if tersam could provide some more detail on what the CD from Medion contained and how things were done to get the software working. It's easy to forget what you did after you solve a problem. Later you see that someone else needs help but you can't really remember any specifics.

There's a new thread for Sat Nav reviews in the third section of this forum. It would be great to read what a user thinks of the 465 when it's been in use for a while. I'm very cautious of reviews from experts.

Any one with a Medion device might be interested in a forum offering support to Medion computer users but which now has some coverage on sat navs. It's great for general computer support. Hope that doesn't tread on any toes because this forum is brilliant too.

www.adslweb.co.uk
amhosib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: TomTom on Gopal Reply with quote

Has anyone loaded TomTom onto the Medion Gopal 460
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think it likely. Possibly, the software on the latest GoPal is better than TomTom. I haven't come across a user review on the GoPal 465 but computeract!ve magazine gave it the edge over TomTom One.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: