Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed settings for tomtom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed settings for tomtom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: speed settings for tomtom Reply with quote

ive been in contact with tomtom to ask them what tomtom units have the ability to change the speed settings for route calculation, there response was "This functionality is not available on TomTom devices" ive read topics on this forum where people are discussing what setting are the best for hgv on there tomtom so there must be a tomtom which this feature the question is which one? can anyone help???
idiot53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the version 3 of TomTom had this feature where you could choose speeds for motorways, dual carriageways etc. It was a big miss when I upgraded to TomTom5 and the 6
Merry Christmas Smile
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idiot53 wrote:
Hi, the version 3 of TomTom had this feature where you could choose speeds for motorways, dual carriageways etc. It was a big miss when I upgraded to TomTom5 and the 6
Merry Christmas Smile

hi so can i not buy a tomtom now whith this feature?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any sat nav device is designed with a car in mind

ive had good routing with tomtom using limited speed set to 54 mph useing nav 5 and 6 and it gives me fairly acctate routes though des need a hand somtimes with a waypoint

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:

ive had good routing with tomtom using limited speed set to 54 mph useing nav 5 and 6 and it gives me fairly acctate routes though des need a hand somtimes with a waypoint

im not to clued up on this gps stuff but i think you are on about totom software for pda's.

am i rite about that?
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:

im not to clued up on this gps stuff but i think you are on about totom software for pda's.

am i rite about that?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a pda but the application and menu layout is the same across the tomtom range what applies to the go range concerning 95% of settings that can be changed by the user for go or x10 models also applies to the pda and smartphone versions

device Lumia 950 xl
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
i use a pda but the application and menu layout is the same across the tomtom range what applies to the go range concerning 95% of settings that can be changed by the user for go or x10 models also applies to the pda and smartphone versions

so is what tomtom said to me about "This functionality is not available on TomTom devices" wrong?

if so do you know which one i can buy that has this as a feature as well as a full post code search and enough memory for the low bridge P.o.i database?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

within the tomtom programe there are so preprogramed settings these are shortest, dastest,avoid motorways,waling routesbicycle routes and limited speed

To obtain the question to use limited speed each time you plan a route go to Change Preferences/ Planning Preferences and select :

this is the only way within tomtom to alter any routing though in the pics ask everytime i planned a route could be selected personall id choss always plan at limed speed and applies to all tomtom go products including the x10 range, one and rider

navigator 3 had a separtate routing page with the application so you could set individual road speeds when navigator 5 came out along with the go 300 this was changed to the current method

thanks to mike alder for the screen shots Wink

device Lumia 950 xl
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
within the tomtom programe there are so preprogramed settings these are shortest, dastest,avoid motorways,waling routesbicycle routes and limited speed

To obtain the question to use limited speed each time you plan a route go to Change Preferences/ Planning Preferences and select :

this is the only way within tomtom to alter any routing though in the pics ask everytime i planned a route could be selected personall id choss always plan at limed speed and applies to all tomtom go products including the x10 range, one and rider

navigator 3 had a separtate routing page with the application so you could set individual road speeds when navigator 5 came out along with the go 300 this was changed to the current method

thanks to mike alder for the screen shots Wink

ok so if i want one that selects the speed for differnt roads then its navigator 3 and that is tomtom sofware for a pda not sat nav unit?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that is corret but the the mapping will be virtually useless and there no full post code serch . any of the current tomtom range would be a better idea the routing in with in v5 and v6 will be fine this is what i us it in
we also do a lot container work all ove the uk
just think of it as a moving map that fits in your pocket or you could go for a garmin2760 like one of the member has got also the garmin nuvi310d is worth considering

device Lumia 950 xl
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
yes that is corret but the the mapping will be virtually useless and there no full post code serch . any of the current tomtom range would be a better idea the routing in with in v5 and v6 will be fine this is what i us it in
we also do a lot container work all ove the uk
just think of it as a moving map that fits in your pocket or you could go for a garmin2760 like one of the member has got also the garmin nuvi310d is worth considering

could i get a new tomtom sat nav unit with v5 or v6? go & one and and the other names they are called theres loads of different versions and its difficult to work out witch is best.

the garmin is expensive and correct me if im wrong american and the maps are not as up to date?

when i asked tomtom they said that routing for hgv was something they were looking into at the moment and to keep an eye out in the future.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you need from the unit

device Lumia 950 xl
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:

i need good route calculation for hgv use a full post code search and enough memory for the low bridge p.o.i database and if possible birds eye map viewing on route and not just the 3d view and like you said earlier about the way points that sound like a good feature to have if you can view the route it calculates before setting off, adding a way point to make it give you an acceptable route(i think thats how i understand it) ive got about £300 to spend.
capscrew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeys wrote:
alix776 wrote:

i need good route calculation for hgv use a full post code search and enough memory for the low bridge p.o.i database and if possible birds eye map viewing on route and not just the 3d view and like you said earlier about the way points that sound like a good feature to have if you can view the route it calculates before setting off, adding a way point to make it give you an acceptable route(i think thats how i understand it) ive got about £300 to spend.

try co -pilot 6 this has a cv selection for large camper vans i.e. no u turns or small roads. You can also select types of streets to avoid.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: