Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom and there mapping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom and there mapping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
This will never happen. It is against TomTom's business model.
Perhaps they are going out of business.:D

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
bleugh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: feeling slightly warmer to tomtom Reply with quote

I must say, i'm impressed with the human tech support once you find their australian contact phone number!

seems that lots is going on behind the scenes there, they just need more staff and better communications systems to tell people whats happening!

windscreen mounts is one example, it's being sorted, but no-one tells you it is untill you call the poor guys!
bleugh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleugh wrote:
I've just plain had it with TOMTOM, i'm likely to NEVER buy a product from them again

I've got a 910, and i'm now in Australia (moved from UK)

the maps are ok enough in that 9/10 times they get you to your destination, however there are now literally 100's of incorrect areas on the map that i've discovered in the space of just 1 month of driving in / around Melbourne

right turns are a royal pain, often you can't

one way streets - at least twice i've been led the wrong way

inability to distinguish between two streets of the same name, but in different areas - 3 times now this has happened

frequently chosing the wrong area for a given street, i.e. you try choosing 'wellington street' - st kilda...........it leads you to cremone instead 9/10 times

add to that at least 5 'dead end' roads it's tried making me cross,

one 'turn right and plunge off the precipice' situation on a flyover near tullamarine

several 'you have reached your destination' even though the actual street number I want is half a mile away on the OTHER side of the road (VERY annoying when you're dragging heavy equipment)

and finally (amusingly), the vast expanse of 'ocean' in tullamarine!!!, WTF??

oh, can I add the 'couple of times a week' function where the device switches to the 'navigate to' screen..........at random intervals

..........the annoying american voice that says me tt ers insteat of m eat ers (meters)

...........the total inability to determine what's a highway, and what's a dust road

.......the disfunction of the 'shortest route' calculations,
......likewise, the disfuntion of the 'fastest route' calculations

pretty much what sums up tomtom at this point in time

crappy mounting to windscreen (1 month, still no replacement mount received), i've got to wedge the thing into the dashboard with an eraser, or it moves

non functional microphone for hands free (no reply received about warranty, shop don't want to know)

the inability for the internal algorithms to function accuratley within a grid based city system

the total and unequivocal lack of any customer support / email responses outside of europe (not that I used them in the UK anyway)

tomtom's inability to automate POI entry, i.e. I give it a list of addresses, it generates POI's internally based upon those addresses

tomtom's inflexibility with POI's, you can't simply 'edit' one, you have to delete it and re-insert

finally, the shockingly out of date maps

if you're in OZ, don't buy a tomtom, the navman ones are a LOT cheaper, and certainly do the same thing as tomtom

the MIO ones even seem to know about some of the 'no right turns' that tomtom steadfastly refuses to acknowledge

moan over

an update - I found their aussie support number, called it and stuff is happening!!, they're great when you speak to someone on the phone.

all you guys down under waiting, keep waiting another week or two, you'll be happy!!

grumbles about the maps still stand though, but, that's not tomtom's fault directly, but the company that does the mapping, there are only a couple of mapping companies in Oz apparently.

so, a simple 5 min chat on the phone has changed me from foaming at the mouth to giving 'em a chance

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: