Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How can I reverse my route?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I reverse my route?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kDmG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: How can I reverse my route? Reply with quote

TomTom brought me to my destination.. excellent... but is there a way to reverse the route, such that I go back the same way home?

Or is this something that can only be done by Itenary planning?

Cheers.
GPS v1.21 Boot 4.86
MAP: v650.1046
===============================
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, if you navigate back to the start point, it uses the same routes. Where it doesn't is if there is a one-way street. On my route to work, there is a road which the teleatlas map thinks is one way (it's not). Going to work I am routed an entirely different way from coming back, because the two routes are only marginally different in time, with the one going the "correct" way down the one way being the quicker.

If I ignore the instructions and turn into the "one way" it immediately re-calculates and gives me the same route in both directions.
kDmG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah.. that probably makes sence.. cause I guess.. TomTom is not human or not got an advanced computer chip that remembers your previous route..

But like you said, going to go back the same route.. and see if it manages to direct me correctly..

cheers
GPS v1.21 Boot 4.86
MAP: v650.1046
===============================
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kDmG wrote:
ah.. that probably makes sence.. cause I guess.. TomTom is not human or not got an advanced computer chip that remembers your previous route..

But like you said, going to go back the same route.. and see if it manages to direct me correctly..

cheers

Left to its own devices, the return route can be substantially different from the outward route - particularly when set to find the fastest route. If there are 2 possible routes with almost identical calculated times, going 90 degrees round a roundabout in one direction and 270 degrees in the other may be enough to tip the balance between the two routes.

For example, if I navigate from from my home in Warwick to somewhere in Devon via the M5, on the outward journey my TTG takes me down the A46 to join the M5 at J9. However, on the return journey, it takes me further up the M5, along the M42 and down the M40 - or it would do, if I let it! This adds nearly 20 miles to the journey, but TTG deems it be faster.

The problem is that it uses the criteria which you select but cannot apply common sense. So, if it's one second faster to go an extra 20 miles, that's the way it takes you!

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: