Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone using TMC on Go510?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone using TMC on Go510?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micknelson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Anyone using TMC on Go510? Reply with quote

I've just bought a TMC module for my Go510 (I've just got to the end of the 1 month free trial on plus).

I can't get the TMC to work. The only instructions that come with it are "just plug in and go" !

Whenever I try to check traffic status it insists on trying to connect via bluetooth to my mobile. From what I have read on Tomtom's website the TMC should disbale the GPRS traffic updates.

Is there an easy way of testing the functionality of the TMC? I planned a route from Manchester to Birmingham in rush hour so should have seen plenty of delays but got nothing.

Does the TMC still use the Tomtom Traffic functions menu or does it work in a completely different way?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of software have you got loaded on the 510, you can check this by tapping the sat strength meter.
Also when you plug the tmc unit into the mount is it going fully into the socket, and does the display flash any message top right in a black bar, something like RDS TMC RECEIVER CONNECTED - Mike
micknelson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
What version of software have you got loaded on the 510, you can check this by tapping the sat strength meter.
Also when you plug the tmc unit into the mount is it going fully into the socket, and does the display flash any message top right in a black bar, something like RDS TMC RECEIVER CONNECTED - Mike

Thanks Mike.

I didn't get any such message when I connected it so I've just given the plug a Herculean push and it did the trick. :D

I now have a TMC option within Tomtom traffic. 0 out of 10 for Tomtom's lousy instructions.

All the best

Mick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that worked, now in preparation for the morning connection have three wheat-a-bix ready Wink
Seriously though, if it goes wrong or you get the phone connection page again simply disconnect the RDS connector for a few seconds before plugging it back in - Mike
micknelson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still getting mixed results with the TMC. Although I have the TMC icon within the traffic menu I don't seem to be getting any updates. How quickly should I expect to receive an update using the TMC? AS TMC relies on radio broadcasts presumably it only updates following a broadcast but are these transmitted constantly or only at set intervals?

I drove halfway from Bolton to Birmingham down the M6 without receiving any traffic info. (my route would have taken me down the M6 through Birmingham so I would definitely have hit traffic problems which was confirmed when I disconnected the TMC and reverted to a GPRS traffic update).

I get a grey circle in the top right corner of the display and within the traffic menu I get "no info available".
On a couple of occasions I have had a green circle in the top right (which I assume means I have received data) and it has shown traffic info.

I have found some info on the Tomtom website which says that the TMC cable must be straight and not coiled so I'm not sure if this may be causing signal problems.

The TMC also seems to frequently disconnect and then reconnect which I assume may be down to the connection between the main unit and the screen mount although I do have the modified mount.
micknelson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention my software version is 6.52
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick, The only way to ensure the device is actually receiving traffic information is to tap the traffic button and see what frequency / station name it has locked to. If it is saying anything other than Classic FM then it has locked to the wrong radio station, after a while it will re-tune to another station on its own.
The North West UK suffers from particulaly poor signal coverage, although I usually have TMC working when on the M61 around the Bolton area (101.1) also around Thelwall viaduct on the M6 the device works, south of here reception can be patchy though.
The advice about the cable is to run out the cable to its full length, and don't coil it up, I have mine run accross the full legth of the dash right to left, the up the passenger A pillar to the top left corner of the windscreen, the 910 is position just above the instrument pod (not in my line of sight, I can still see the end of the bonnet when looking over the 910) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: