Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nüvi 610T or 660
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nüvi 610T or 660

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Garmin Nüvi 610T or 660 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a Sat Nav unit very soon, but wondered what the differences are between the Nüvi 610T and the 660??

Is it just a matter that the 610T has UK maps only? or does it go deeper than that? in that the 610T doesn't have the GTM21 TMC reciever or the TTS functions??

Many thanks

MarkieT.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 610T has the GTM21 traffic, but is UK (and Ireland) mapping only, and no TTS.

The 660 has the GTM21 traffic, built in European mapping, and TTS.
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm now totally confused!!!

http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/garmin_nuvi_.html

this sites selling the 610T & they say that it does support the feature to speak Street Names & also that the European Maps are included with the Unit but on a CD Rom!!!

Can anyone confirm that the 610T Does or does not support the Speak Road Names Feature please??

Many thanks in advance

MarkieT.
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the various sites I've found with it on says "Voice announces streets by name"
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my point exactly Freddy, & I really can't understand how those websites can say that the unit supports a feature when apparently it doesn't, how are they getting away with it, in that if I bought a Nuvi 610T & found that it didn't support a certain feature like the TTS, I'd be shipping it straight back as false advertising!!!

Anyway, I decided to email Garmin themselves, below are the Questions/Answers that I received:

Q1. I've read that the Garmin 610T is supplied with the European Maps, but on a CD & not directly on the Unit (like the 660) is that correct??

Q2. The main feature I'm really interested in is, does the Nuvi 610T have the Text To Speech (TTS) feature, nobody seems to really be able to answer that question for me, in that I've asked on a couple of Forums & they say no, but quite a few companies that sell the Nuvi 610T say that it does support TTS.

here's their reply:

A1. The 610T only comes with UK and Ireland mapping but includes the traffic receiver. You would need to purchase the European mapping separately. The 660 does include European mapping and is pre loaded.

A2. The 610 does not have text to speech on it unfortunately, but again the 660 does have this.

Anyway, I thought you guys might be interested in the reply,

Cheers

MarkieT.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkieT wrote:
Anyway, I thought you guys might be interested in the reply,

Which of course is the answer SWING gave you to your initial question. My experiemce is that Forums like this are reasonably reliable because if someone posts incorrect information then someone more knowledgeable will correct them.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkieT wrote:
I'm now totally confused!!!
http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/garmin_nuvi_.html
this sites selling the 610T & they say that it does support the feature to speak Street Names & also that the European Maps are included with the Unit but on a CD Rom!!!
In situations like this, the best thing to do is to go to the manufacturers website, and Garmin are very good at providing information (although the information on TTS is based on what they don't say). The points have been answered by others, but my info was taken direct from Garmin.
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tynecomp wrote:
Which of course is the answer SWING gave you to your initial question. My experiemce is that Forums like this are reasonably reliable because if someone posts incorrect information then someone more knowledgeable will correct them.

Hi Tynecomp, I'm sorry if I offended or seemed to disbelieve anyone giving information about the 610T, but just found it crazy that so many websites would advertise that fact that the unit supports the TTS feature, even one website (can't remember which one now) but they advertised that the European Maps were shipped with the unit but on a CD.

swing wrote:
In situations like this, the best thing to do is to go to the manufacturers website, and Garmin are very good at providing information (although the information on TTS is based on what they don't say). The points have been answered by others, but my info was taken direct from Garmin.

Hi Swing, I just wanted to say thanks for the initial post regarding the 610T, sorry if this post seems to have blown up out of proportion!!

Thanks again all,

MarkieT.

Garmin 660FM
Nuvi 3598 LMT D - Firmware 4.40
iPhone 5S CoPilot Live
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to keep on with this but I must agree with MarkieT. I read various sites about the 610 & they seemed to say it did have TTS. As I got so Confused about it I went & bought one today & it didnt have it!!! Sad So I'm taking it back tomorrow & getting a 660 instead.

Also it seems like its already been used, so I'm not too pleased about that anyway!!!
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freedy50 wrote:
Sorry to keep on with this but I must agree with MarkieT. I read various sites about the 610 & they seemed to say it did have TTS. As I got so Confused about it I went & bought one today & it didnt have it!!! Sad So I'm taking it back tomorrow & getting a 660 instead.

Also it seems like its already been used, so I'm not too pleased about that anyway!!!

Hi Freedy50, sorry to hear that you found out the hard way as they call it, because I'd been thinking of doing the same thing!!!

Now the question is, where's the best place to buy a Nuvi 660?? I've thought about ebay, but not really sure if you'd get help on the Warranty side, so probably looking at a web store or possibly a High Street store!!

I know Halford's are doing (or were doing) them for £389.99 (WoW a whole £10 off!!!), otherwise can anyone recommend anywhere please?

Otherwise I've thought about hanging on till after Christmas to see if the price drops in the Jan Salesl!!

Many thanks

MarkieT.

Garmin 660FM
iPhone 5S CoPilot Live
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkieT...

i understand that halfords have an exclusive on the 660 until Dec31, after that you should be able to buy from the usual (GPSW, etc...)
MarkieT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:
MarkieT...

i understand that halfords have an exclusive on the 660 until Dec31, after that you should be able to buy from the usual (GPSW, etc...)

Hi Planetnine, Now that's something I didn't know!!! I'd better keep me eyes open then!!!

Cheers

MarkieT

Garmin 660FM
iPhone 5S CoPilot Live

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: