Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - More TMC access confusion?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

More TMC access confusion?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: More TMC access confusion? Reply with quote

The following information has recently been posted on the Mitac website: in relation to the Mio C710 TMC is not free in the UK. What does it mean in relation to TMC support on the C710?

http://tinyurl.com/t7bx9

Is it possible that the "subscription" will expire after a year or fail to work if the TMC provider uses a new encryption code?

Is it worrying anyone that the manufacturer of the device doesn't seem to know whether or not TMC works in the UK?!

Gareth.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: More TMC access confusion? Reply with quote

Retty wrote:

Is it worrying anyone that the manufacturer of the device doesn't seem to know whether or not TMC works in the UK?!
Gareth.

No worry at all if you have bought it from EasyDevices. Their advert says:

BUILT IN TMC - FULLY COMPATIBLE AND WORKING IN THE UK!
NO FURTHER COST, NO EXTRA EQUIPMENT REQUIRED

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/scp/products.asp?partno=MIOC710

If it stops working, under the Sale of Goods Act you will get your money back.

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: More TMC access confusion? Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Retty wrote:

Gareth.

No worry at all if you have bought it from EasyDevices. Their advert says:

BUILT IN TMC - FULLY COMPATIBLE AND WORKING IN THE UK!
NO FURTHER COST, NO EXTRA EQUIPMENT REQUIRED

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/scp/products.asp?partno=MIOC710

If it stops working, under the Sale of Goods Act you will get your money back.

Sal

I don't think it's that simple - there are a number of legal hurdles to pass before a refund can be forced.

Besides, aside from arguing for a refund in the event of failure, it would be good to have a clear understanding of the issues. Mitac has been consistent, albeit vaguely so, that TMC is not supported in the UK.

I have an unproven suspicion - for which I have no evidence - that the UK TMC functionality of the c710 is software based. Logically though the c710 is able to decrypt the current TMC stream.

What happens when/if the TMC provider alters its encryption code thus requiring a software update? If Mitac continues to be consistent about the fact that TMC is not supported in the UK then it's likely that no update will be available and that there will be no facility to purchase a lawful TMC licence.

Maybe a dedicated PDA solution - allowing the use of software such as Traffic SAM - is a better option if reliable TMC is a major reason for using the c710.

Gareth.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Gareth, I for one have enjoyed the use of a reliable TMC service for six months, and continue to be very satisfied with it. :D
If I had listened to the worriers I would not have had that service, and still be no better off. Sad
If the situation ever changes I will deal with it at the time.
It's a great life, and there are more important things to think about than will the TMC stop working one day....
Be happy!

Sal
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i understand it the purchase price includes a one-off lifetime subscription to the TMC service

if it works make the most of it

if it doesn't work Mio are allegedly due to release a uk receiver for models needing an external receiver

there'll still be traffic bulletins on the radio but how many of us drive with the RDS system turned off Question Smile

other manufacturers have the same problem and TomTom also specify a one-off lifetime subscription or an annual subscription to their GPRS service
PudpullerTM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: TMC Reply with quote

I contacted Mio about TMC and apparently they have made a deal with Traffic Master to be able to use the UK system on their devices
There is no official line on this matter but it seems to be the case as
people say it works

hope it will be confirmed soon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: